what's similar to a Engl Blackmore?

scottcrud

I've had my Blackmore for over six months now, and it's replaced my Boogies. I'm wondering what else would compare to a Blackmore? I mainly use the high gain channel only.
Boogie Stiletto w/Hollywood mod?
VHT Deliverance?
Soldano Avenger?

I played a 5150 exstensively and I don't see the similarity at all. The 5150 was a beez nest of buzziness, and my Blackmore is tight and not buzz like.

Mega can dial 'em in to sound roughly the same. I also hear some Mark series in the amp too. Some clips even sounded kinda like a hot-rodded Marshall.

>|<>QBB<
scottcrud":946d4 said:
I played a 5150 exstensively and I don't see the similarity at all. The 5150 was a beez nest of buzziness, and my Blackmore is tight and not buzz like.

You're not dialing in the 5150 correctly then. I posted some Blackmore clips and people though they were 5150 clips.

they are very similar imo.. that's why i keep thinkin of the idea to sell the 5150 sometimes.. i'd never use it live.

hmmm

:|::QBB:
scottcrud":6e452 said:

For a while, I had both a Blackmore and a 5150. I spent quite a bit of time comparing them side by side and was surprised to find out that I could dial in the 5150 and get VERY close to the Blackmore tones. That's actually why I sold my 5150. I didn't want two amps that were so similar in tone and I liked the tones of the Blackmore better. The two amps were similar, but definately not the same. I found myself dialing in the 5150 to sound like the Blackmore, but I never tried to get my Blackmore to sound like a 5150 (if that makes sense???).

On the other hand, the 5150 could easily be dialed in to have a voicing all it's own...

:)

:|::QBB:
scottcrud":ae367 said:
Soldano Avenger?

I just picked up an Avenger........incredible amp incredible amp......I think it sounds nothing like a 5150 though......I don't know about a Blackmore......as I've only owned a Powerball and Fireball.....but it kicks the crap out of alot of amps.....including a fiffy one fitty.... ;)

i never got the whole bees nest thing with the peaveys. just like a MKIV it can take some time to learn how to dial it in correctly. granted ther can be a little fizz in there. but thats what mods are for. i also played a nicely modded 5150 and it was killer.

I haven't owned a Blackmore..yet, but I did own a Savage 120 and a D120 at the same time, and while the D120 was awesome sounding, the Savage was a little tighter and much brighter than the D120, and the Savage 120 that I had made the D120 sitting next to it sound weak in comparison. So if the Savage 120 and Blackmore are anything alike, as I have heard from many folks, then teh D120 would be pretty good, but it won't be as tight or bright as the Blackmore.

I feel I should add as well, after owning the SE with EL34s and 2 different Savage 120s, the Savage is still my fav ENGL amp to this point. I just wish they made a Savage 120 with 4 power tubes instead of 2....the added punch and oomph from 4 6550s would be mind boggling, to say the least.

I'm excited to hear a Blackmore as well after eharing Mega talk about them as he does, since we seem to probably be into the same sorta stuff.

-Ans-

i havnt played a blackmore but i really want to. i have always heard it is more organic and a little looser or more open then the rest of the engl. having owned a powerball, which is the most ridiculously tight amp ever :thumbsup: i would like to hear the other end of the spectrum.

The Savage is tighter than the EL34 SE, and the SE is supposed to be a "Super Powerball", from what I always read (which I don't agree with, but that's another thread altogether), and while not owning the PB and Savage at the same time, I would say the Savage is tighter than the Powerball. SO assuming that the Blackmore is similar to a Savage, that would mean the Blackmore is as tight if not tighter than the Powerball. Which is sweet.

One thing I love about the Savage 120s is how crisp they sound. They have JUST enough sizzle to make it very crisp and tight, not over the top into fizzy territory. I hope the Blackmore takes that and expands upon it, as Mega seems to suggest.

-Ans-

Back