Most important/influential rock guitarist ever?

Motorpud":dz0nd96d said:
rrguitar":dz0nd96d said:
Motorpud":dz0nd96d said:
Jimi Hendrix is the most overrated guitarist of all time IMO. There are multiple guitarists of his own era that don't get as much "the best ever" talk as he does, but to me are better musicians.

I've always felt like his image and untimely death took him a lot further than his actual guitar playing did. The thing he's most famous for isn't even playing guitar, its lighting one on fire and smashing it, which Pete Townshend did the set before, well without the fire :D[/quote

Hendrix is overated ? your a fuckin moron.

Nice try at belittling my opinion, but before anyone can take you seriously you need to learn how to properly quote someone. Then, after that, you should probably learn how to spell. Those 2 things alone would go a long way toward making you look like less of a jackass :thumbsup:

You have DoucheBag Darrell in your avatar, whose tone sounded like 12 monkeys in a public restroom after a all you can eat feast @ Taco Bell..DoucheBag wouldn't even be a pimple on Jimis arse..

Surprised no one said the blokes in that Beatles band. Was there ever a greater percentage of people watching a rock band then the Beatles debut on Ed Sullivan?

to the guys who mention EVH, Randy and Yngwie you got it right...for those who didnt, my dad can beat up your dad lol

My knee jerk reaction would be to say EVH but to be sure I looked up the definition of influential:

"Having or exerting influence, especially great influence". So which rock guitarist of all time has exerted the most influence on rock guitar? Well, rock guitar is basically loud riffs with a lot of guitar solos so one could argue that Chuck Berry or Scotty Moore had a great deal of influence on Rock Guitar. And even though Les Paul invented the electric guitar, Leo Fender brought it to the masses and Jim Marshall amplified it they were more or less responding to what the market was demanding.

In terms of who had the most influence; it's got to be Edward. He changed the way the guitar was played, the way it looked, the way it sounded and a number of guitarists that came after him wanted to sound and play just like him :rock:

Would have to say EVH. He influenced so much as far as the modern rock sound goes. Strat with a humbucker setup heavily overdriven amp, the flashy guitar solos, use of FX etc...

Yeah, EVH. Only Hendrix had him beat over a decade earlier. Still talking about him. VH in 40 years? A footnote, if that. Nothing lasting.

carlygtr":2ypvizre said:
Yeah, EVH. Only Hendrix had him beat over a decade earlier. Still talking about him. VH in 40 years? A footnote, if that. Nothing lasting.
Gotta disagree pretty strongly here.

I think in 40 years people will still be talking about both of them.

carlygtr":20db5obu said:
Well let's see...Van Halen 1 was when..'78? so it's been 35 years..pretty sure we'll still be talkin about him in another 5..just sayin..

Racerxrated":3a95lkc5 said:
carlygtr":3a95lkc5 said:
Well let's see...Van Halen 1 was when..'78? so it's been 35 years..pretty sure we'll still be talkin about him in another 5..just sayin..

This is a place for opinions only...

Why did you have to go and bring math and facts in there,,,

:LOL: :LOL:

Racerxrated":451022s3 said:
carlygtr":451022s3 said:

Yeah, no doubt RT will be talking about him. That's not saying much :LOL: :LOL:

For me the top 5 are pretty set in stone, and then after that it gets really tough, depending on what criteria you use (tone, chops, production techniques, songwriting, etc). Here are who I consider the top 5:

1. Jimi Hendrix
2. Jimmy Page
3. EVH
4. Eric Clapton
5. Chuck Berry

After that there's guys like Gilmour, Young, Frehley, Harrison, Malmsteen, Satch, Vai, Cobain, who you could argue over, plus guys who I consider "metal" rather than "rock" so I didn't include them in this list (Rhoads, Hetfield, Iommi, Dime, etc).

One a side note, I don't consider Les Paul "rock" so he's not on here, but probably the most influential in terms of everything when it comes to the tools we use to make it!

Cheers

Heritage Softail":1oi5iojw said:
Racerxrated":1oi5iojw said:
carlygtr":1oi5iojw said:

This is a place for opinions only...

Why did you have to go and bring math and facts in there,,,

:LOL: :LOL:
Chevy Chase.."They said there would be no math..." This thread has the chance to go on FOREVER..only subject that might keep up would be 'best amp ever' or 'best guitar' lol..

electrophonic.tonic":2ukfkdbb said:
danyeo":2ukfkdbb said:
electrophonic.tonic":2ukfkdbb said:
Chet Atkins?
Not a "rock" player by todays standards, but he influenced a shitload of rock guitar players.

In the 80's in High School anyone that played guitar that I knew wanted to play like Eddie, then Randy, then Jimmy Page, Iommi. Then Yngwie came out, then Metallica. Chet Atkins? NO.
Because 80's high school is the ultimate litmus test :LOL: :LOL:

Yeah well it's about one of the better ways to establish who was the most INFLUENTIAL in a decade where the guitar hero was the biggest thing. And in high school when young people were picking up a guitar and looking to be like the biggest hero out there.

You can stick to whatever test you want that came up with Chet Atkins.

Back