Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sun, Sep 23, 2018 10:41am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 09, 2017 5:49am 
Journeyman NOOB

Are you human?: 951
Hi!

I've been using Torpedo Reload since it came out and I think it's great in some areas and not that great in some other. Therefore I'm sreaching for another solution hoping to find what I'm looking for. The problem I have with the Torpedo Reload is that is takes away a lot of gain on som amps while in contiains it to maybe 80% on others. My question is: How does the Suhr Reactive work on gain? Will it contain it or steal away some?

I don't have a problem using my ENGL Powerball 2 and my ENGL Retro Tube 100. I have the gain rather low, around 9:30 o'clock on both.
The problem is on my Friedman Smallbox where I have the gain set on approx 2 o'clock on ch.1 and about 11 o'clock on ch.2. If I need more gain I activate my Suhr Koko Boost and sometimes my XTS Precision Multi-Drive set at really low gain. When runing this setup straight to a real cab I have more than enough gain even at bedroom volume, but with the Torpedo Reload connected in between it's sounds like I run the gain on both channels at 7 o'clock. This is when using the attunuator and/or using it into my Apollo interface into my DAW using IR's.

How's the Suhr Reactive compared to this? I know it's not an attenuator, but that's not my main concern because I will mainly use it for silent recording.

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 16, 2017 8:05am 
Journeyman NOOB

No Suhr Reactive Load users that can answer if the Suhr Reactive Load affects the gain in the way I've described in the post above?

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 16, 2017 11:39pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I've used the Reactive Load with my JJ-100, Rockerverb and Randall and haven't had any issues like you're describing.

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 17, 2017 2:57pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

IME the Suhr does not take away any gain. It performs as advertised and I can't imagine life without it.

:D

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 4:29am 
Journeyman NOOB

I ended up selling my Torpedo Reload and got the Suhr Reactive Load instead. WOW!!! What a huge different in the way it response to dynamics of the picking hand. It sounds nothing short of Amazing! This was the second time I sold a Torpedo Reload. The sound just wasn't there for me. It sounded good but not great. But the Suhr Reactive sounds crisp, full, and dynamic with punch and authority in the tone with all my amps...high gain, mid gain or low gain doesn't matter. I highly recommend this awesome piece of gear.

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 6:31am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

MrFlexx wrote:
I ended up selling my Torpedo Reload and got the Suhr Reactive Load instead. WOW!!! What a huge different in the way it response to dynamics of the picking hand. It sounds nothing short of Amazing! This was the second time I sold a Torpedo Reload. The sound just wasn't there for me. It sounded good but not great. But the Suhr Reactive sounds crisp, full, and dynamic with punch and authority in the tone with all my amps...high gain, mid gain or low gain doesn't matter. I highly recommend this awesome piece of gear.
Never had the Reload, but I completely agree with your comments on the RL...just a phenomenal piece of gear for sure.

What IRs are you using with it? Or are you running it into a power amp?

"Big whoop. I'm spooning a Barrett .50-cal. I could kill a building."

"Broccoli? That's what my food eats. That's my food's food, and I don't appreciate you eating that."

PostPosted: Wed, Sep 20, 2017 8:10am 
Journeyman NOOB

Bronco wrote:
MrFlexx wrote:
Never had the Reload, but I completely agree with your comments on the RL...just a phenomenal piece of gear for sure.

What IRs are you using with it? Or are you running it into a power amp?

I'm using Ownhammer IRs. I have the complete library and it sounds killer. I also use the UAD Ocean Way Studios for added realism and warmth to the tone and do the tone shaping with UAD Neve 88RS and UAD Neve 31102 EQ. Best plugins for killer recordings. Been a session guitarist for +25 years and this combination (Suhr RL/OH Irs/UADs) sounds better than recording with real cabs.

PostPosted: Wed, Feb 28, 2018 11:39am 
Supah Stah

Definitely no gain reduction in my experience. What I did notice when using the RL with my DSL is that I had to crank the volume on the clean channel to get the same level as the lead channel in my DAW. Odd because in the room, the clean channel is louder at lower settings than the Lead channel.

Dave