***Update***:Need some advice on a transaction

I got burned on ebay using paypal ages ago. I repaired and modified an MP1 and flipped it. Dude said it was defective and demanded a refund. Come to find out during the refund process he emailed me to say it was MIDI user error. This was after he already neg repped me and had the claim filed. Lesson learned - I use Zelle or wire transfer. Absolutely nothing else.

LanierP":kdtksr2s said:
Hey guys,
Had to call Reverb and tell them to turn off this fuckers messages today. The asshole started resorting to 3rd grade name calling and rubbing my nose into the shit about PayPal’s 180 day policy. I called Paypal today as well and explained to them the whole ordeal. Told them I will refund the guy but under the condition that he 1.) provide pictures of every side of the amp and the boxes (it was double boxed) that it was shipped in. 2.) provide picture proof that the amp has been shipped back to me with a valid and initialized trackin #. I figure that I must try to ensure I get the amp back at the very least. What a piece of work this guy is. And so that nobody else gets fucked by this dude (he was actually twisting the knife with his messages guys), he’s out of San Antonio Tx and goes by Fernando. Not going to put his last name here but this guy has worked me over on this, and it just sucks donkey balls. Talk about feeling helpless. Paypal really sucks from a sellers point and I am pulling the chalks with them going forward. Too much risk of being screwed.
Len

Can you hold the refund in limbo until you actually get the amp back in your possession? They have to see with the way the guy is acting that chances are he is the type to provide a false tracking and not return your amp and get the refund too... I would push for any and all mechanisms to protect you during this whole bullshit refund/return. I would also stipulate that he must pay the shipping for return since. It is beyond me how PP thinks that a 180 day refund policy is fair to anyone as a seller. You can't return a car 6 months later after driving it and deciding you don't like it or any other retail purchase for that matte,r unless it's wal-mart.

I guess your only protection would be Reverb's checkout that accepts personal credit cards, what's Reverbs return policy? Now that ebay is accepting personal credit cards isn't PP somewhat obsolete at this point? Sorry about your woes, but thanks for bringing it to light for us all so we know what we could all be dealing with these days.

If you only accept direct checkout, all payments go through reverb. The buyer can pay with PayPal, but they pay reverb, and reverb pays you. In that instance, any PayPal chargebacks result in reverb getting hounded by PayPal, and my understanding is anytime a buyer uses the PayPal dispute on reverb, reverb bans that buyer. I know reverb allows sellers to use their PayPal accounts and not go through the reverb system, but I feel a little more secure with reverb than with PayPal.
I’ve read if you call PayPal daily and explain to them the situation, they eventually get tired of hearing it and listen to the seller.

Ugh...makes me never wanna sell anything again. Good luck man, I hope you somehow come out of it ok.

We wonder why the used gear market sucks these days, especially for sellers, I think the shitty policies of Paypal have had a real tangible effect. Hell, I have plenty of gear I wouldn’t mind selling but unless I get desperate it’s just gonna sit here since I’m not interested in chancing a situation like this by selling on eBay or reverb via Paypal.

LanierP":3qna9rz5 said:
Hey guys,
Had to call Reverb and tell them to turn off this fuckers messages today. The asshole started resorting to 3rd grade name calling and rubbing my nose into the shit about PayPal’s 180 day policy. I called Paypal today as well and explained to them the whole ordeal. Told them I will refund the guy but under the condition that he 1.) provide pictures of every side of the amp and the boxes (it was double boxed) that it was shipped in. 2.) provide picture proof that the amp has been shipped back to me with a valid and initialized trackin #. I figure that I must try to ensure I get the amp back at the very least. What a piece of work this guy is. And so that nobody else gets fucked by this dude (he was actually twisting the knife with his messages guys), he’s out of San Antonio Tx and goes by Fernando. Not going to put his last name here but this guy has worked me over on this, and it just sucks donkey balls. Talk about feeling helpless. Paypal really sucks from a sellers point and I am pulling the chalks with them going forward. Too much risk of being screwed.
Len

He's probably already got his money back. Unfortunately, you don't have the luxury or setting guidelines for a refund, PP does. They could care less about the box, pictures, tracking, etc. They suck dick.

I am pretty sure the buyer has screwed up by waiting so long. Fedex will probably not honor a damage claim after 10-15 days of receiving the shipment. You can't wait 50 days and then say "Oh crap!", or at least that's what I've been told by Fedex reps that I've talked to. One of the Fedex area managers lives across the street from me, so I'm pretty sure this is the policy.

Time to tell the buyer you're sorry, but he waited way too long.

Scumback Speakers":2k97yh0x said:
I am pretty sure the buyer has screwed up by waiting so long. Fedex will probably not honor a damage claim after 10-15 days of receiving the shipment. You can't wait 50 days and then say "Oh crap!", or at least that's what I've been told by Fedex reps that I've talked to. One of the Fedex area managers lives across the street from me, so I'm pretty sure this is the policy.

Time to tell the buyer you're sorry, but he waited way too long.

That's kind of the issue here Jim, Paypal is enforcing a 180 Day return policy if the buyers so wish to use it even if it is ridiculous and not based in any kind of rational thought. I thought there is no way that PP could enforce such an unreasonable policy but here you go, it's being done... especially is you are dealing with someone who is a narcissist and feels they can do what they wish and abuse such a crazy far reaching policy.

paulyc":gaq0laxn said:
maddnotez":gaq0laxn said:
JerEvil":gaq0laxn said:
It's funny. In all my years of buying tube amps, no one has ever shipped me one with the tube pulled and packaged separately be it new or used.

I have done both. I don't sell a lot of amps but the first time I saw them pulled and labeled was from GC.

I do like that method better as it is easy to break an installed tube during shipment. However I have received a few amps with the tubes in and 90% of the time there were no issues.

As a buyer you should always expect to buy new tubes for any amp. I have had brand new amps come with a bad tube. It is not an uncommon thing.
Scott Splawn shipped his amps that way, that’s where I got it from.
Not my Quick Rod. Maybe he started since though as I bought it years ago.

boyedav":xnfox9yc said:
I'm assuming you've read the details of Paypal Buyer Protection:

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/ua/u ... protection

Important: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party specified by PayPal as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal’s Purchase Protection program does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Step 4: Comply with PayPal’s shipping requests in a timely manner, if you’re filing a Significantly Not as Described claim. PayPal may require you, at your expense, to ship the item back to the seller, to PayPal or to a third party (which will be specified by PayPal) and to provide proof of delivery.

The dude's gotta get the item back to you and provide proof of delivery (perhaps including a signature) at his own expense. His arrogant ass could decide he's not going to ship it back unless you pay for that, or maybe that he doesn't need to pack it properly, or that he doesn't need a signature.

Also:

The following claims will qualify as a Significantly Not as Described claim:

You received a completely different item. For example, you purchased a book and received a DVD or an empty box.
The condition of the item was misrepresented. For example, the item was described as “new” but the item was used.
The item was advertised as authentic but is not authentic (i.e. counterfeit).
The item is missing major parts or features and those facts were not disclosed in the description of the item when you bought it.
You purchased a set of three items but only received two.
The item was damaged during shipment.

The only thing that seems close would be if he was claiming it was damaged in shipping. If that's the case, it seems reasonable to initiate a FedEx damage investigation. Even if FedEx won't pay a damage claim, there's a least some burden on him to legitimize his claim of Significantly Not as Described. Would a FedEx investigation support his claim? Is there a chance he wouldn't cooperate with the investigation? Has he in any way substantiated his the basis of his claim?

If he doesn't do things exactly by the book, call it out to Paypal and reference their policy verbatim.

Also, I don't think it would be bad if his abusive messages got into the hands of Paypal. Where they have discretion, his dickishness could bite him in the ass.

Finally, have you searched the various forums for anything he's posted? I bought a preamp from a guy and one of the four channels didn't work. I ended up having to file a dispute because he claimed it worked fine, but I found a forum posting from months earlier where he was looking for assistance with the same problem I was experiencing. Maybe this cuntstain has a NAD posting out there somewhere. Maybe a pic on his FB page. Who knows. Put on your PI cap ;-)

Best of luck to you in any case.
You’ve nailed everything that’s happened right on the head. He has gone with the ‘Item not as described’ and saying that it was damaged as the reason. I would love to post a screen shot of this guys Facebook so that everyone can be ‘on notice’ about this . My only reason for not doing this is that I’m worried that if I have to sue this dude (I do have a lawyer friend in the family), I don’t want to do something that will come back to bite me like defamation of character of whatever. Never had to deal with anyone or anything remotely like this. Frankly, if I could just get the power amp back, I’ve got loads of 6L6’s; even a quartet of Mesas; that I could slap in it and it will probably be fine. Funny thing is, I found him on Facebook and he has a fully public profile. I went thru all of his postings and pix all the way back to 2012, and there isn’t a single notion that this guy plays guitar, likes guitar, is into music, or even knows what a guitar is. Nothing guitar related to be found. Weird. I know where he lives, but he doesn’t know where I live;;;I sent the amp both times from a FedEx store. Was even thinking to maybe hire a collection agency to pay him a visit and secure the amp that way. His last messages to me on Reverb before Reverb shit the communication down due to verbal fisticuffs was that he was going to take his sweet time sending the amp back and was going to pack it poorly like FedEx did. This guy has a hatred for FedEx,,, so much so that if the bomber guy that killed himself in Texas a few months ago had not been found yet, I would probably be calling the FBI to tip them off to look at this guy.
So, I’ll keep you guys posted on how this pans out, 850$ out on the line hurts bad,,,guess it could have been a lot worse though. Trying to stay positive though. If the amp does come home to me, it’s staying put! 2 tours of the Texas Amp Massacre is enuff for me!
Len

I’m now in the “not going to ever sell an amp again” camp. Why the hell would I want have the headache of these types of situations.

Plus the fact that packing an amp for shipping actually sucks balls.

I'm glad the shipping must be paid by him after waiting 7 weeks it should be his responsibility since he fucked up the FedEx claim window.

Why is the asshole making threats to you when he waited 7 weeks to supposedly notify you of shipping damage, this guys is a fucking entitled, narcissist, nutcase jackwagon? :gethim:

Send him the all the PP return policies and make sure he follows it to the letter. I am assuming they will withhold his refund until you receive the amp back correct?

Best of luck, I hope you get it back undamaged.

Paypal will not refund him until you have the amp back, or proof of delivery. They usually will give the buyer a few weeks to return the item. I would absolutely send over this guys rants about packing it like shit..etc. Anything you can use against this douche. If he does not send the amp within the Paypal time limit he will default on his claim and thats that. You definitely will either get your $$ or your amp back, so that shouldnt be a worry. How the amp arrives back to you is a whole other story though. This link has some pretty good resources http://www.screw-paypal.com/index.html

Paypal has already pulled the funds from my bank. It’s in a ‘pending’ status, so I am hoping that they are waiting for proof of shipping from him. Also found out that this looser used Paypal Credit for the purchase. What a piece of work this guy is.

There are people who are just aholes. I was going to try and do some clips with other amps for my site. A former RT member told me "Jim, just go to GC and get each of the amps you don't have, record, then return it under their 30 day policy. It won't cost you a cent. Screw them."

I'm sorry but it seems like this was a try before buying thing, especially in light of the paypal credit payment, and the 7 week tryout timeframe.

I have to wonder if the buyer didn't break the tubes himself to file the claim now.

Sorry, sir, there are just entitled buttholes out there that think they can do anything as long as they can blame someone else and not be held accountable.

LanierP":ggb9qkek said:
Paypal has already pulled the funds from my bank. It’s in a ‘pending’ status, so I am hoping that they are waiting for proof of shipping from him. Also found out that this looser used Paypal Credit for the purchase. What a piece of work this guy is.

Yea, Paypal has the funds in escrow but they have not released them to the buyer yet. If I remember correctly they wont refund him until the delivery is confirmed and not just the item has shipped. I would call or email them just to confirm that though. Good luck.

Wow. Glad I pulled my reverb account. I wouldn't sell a Fn E string on there. Nice of them to help. As usual. Middle man making money and doing nothing when a problem arrises. Glad everyone loves reverb so much. They ain't shit when it matters as we all see. Blame PayPal I guess is the word. They just transfer the money. Reverb opens the door for this

Beandust":3u87bx4f said:
Wow. Glad I pulled my reverb account. I wouldn't sell a Fn E string on there. Nice of them to help. As usual. Middle man making money and doing nothing when a problem arrises. Glad everyone loves reverb so much. They ain't shit when it matters as we all see. Blame PayPal I guess is the word. They just transfer the money. Reverb opens the door for this
It sounds like the buyer used Paypal checkout. If you use Reverb Direct checkout, it still goes thru Paypal but Paypal has to go thru Reverb to get a refund. Reverb decides, not Paypal. Then you don't have to deal with Paypal but Reverb instead. Dealing with Reverb is better than Paypal but the end result might still be the same.

Just curious but what if you (hypothetically) sold it on Reverb for $1 and then charged (and insured for) $849 shipping? "Sure man, you can have your dollar back when I get the amp back...on your dime."

SpiderWars":1iupqdrv said:
Beandust":1iupqdrv said:
It sounds like the buyer used Paypal checkout. If you use Reverb Direct checkout, it still goes thru Paypal but Paypal has to go thru Reverb to get a refund. Reverb decides, not Paypal. Then you don't have to deal with Paypal but Reverb instead. Dealing with Reverb is better than Paypal but the end result might still be the same.

Just curious but what if you (hypothetically) sold it on Reverb for $1 and then charged (and insured for) $849 shipping? "Sure man, you can have your dollar back when I get the amp back...on your dime."
Ok. Great story. I had my turn with reverb. They were impressive until I had a problem. Sad reality is dirt bags exist and paypal slides with the money spent side of things. Had reverb shown me a different side of why they are so wonderful" maybe I'd have another opinion. Sorry

Back