Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sun, May 27, 2018 12:41pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Wed, May 16, 2018 3:00pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

Are you human?: 951
Waiting for UPS is torture...god I hope they don’t fuck it up :doh:

I needed a grab & go combo, and I always wanted one of these, so I made an offer on Reverb, and BAM!...back in the Boogie fam.

C’mon UPS, don’t drop it!!!

PostPosted: Wed, May 16, 2018 3:23pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Congrats. I have a Mark IV widebody head Rev A. Killer sounding amp, and I was never a Mesa fan before. The Mark series just kill TONE FOR DAYS... :rock:

PostPosted: Wed, May 16, 2018 3:25pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Mark 3 owner here! Congrats!!

PostPosted: Wed, May 16, 2018 4:53pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Congrats! I love mine, so tight and great clean.

EDIT: and the clean is a great pedal platform. Some of my ODs/Dist pedals sound best thru my Mk IV.

PostPosted: Wed, May 16, 2018 6:07pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

SpiderWars wrote:

EDIT: and the clean is a great pedal platform. Some of my ODs/Dist pedals sound best thru my Mk IV.

Hell yeah! That’s what I wanted to hear. I was thinking about a BB pre for a nice mellow ‘in between’ channel 1 &2.

PostPosted: Wed, May 16, 2018 6:08pm 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

motorboy1 wrote:
Congrats. I have a Mark IV widebody head Rev A. Killer sounding amp, and I was never a Mesa fan before. The Mark series just kill TONE FOR DAYS... :rock:

I’ll eventually grab a headshell for it, too. But for now, it’s the grab n go...probably snag a Thiele 1x12 for the low end punch.

PostPosted: Wed, May 16, 2018 6:15pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

garey77 wrote:
SpiderWars wrote:

Hell yeah! That’s what I wanted to hear. I was thinking about a BB pre for a nice mellow ‘in between’ channel 1 &2.

So many options for an OD to go between the clean/lead. I couldn't really get a tone I loved from Rhy2 so I just used a pedal on Rhy1 (clean). Right now I have a Liverpool pedal for Vox-y type semi-distorted jangly tones and a BE-OD set low for cranked plexi tones.

PostPosted: Wed, May 16, 2018 10:25pm 
Journeyman NOOB

I have a cmat brownie on order to run through the clean. Killer cranked marshall in a box. Now I can have my marshall and Mesa in one amp...

PostPosted: Wed, May 16, 2018 11:02pm 
Journeyman NOOB

https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049 ... ed-public/

I recently picked up two Mark IV's, a transition A/B version Wood & wicker combo and a B version head. Grab and go is in jest? I do use the thiele cabinet in conjunction with the combo but the combo has to weigh 80 lb.s. alone, plus the ATA case and you're looking at "hey, can you give me a hand?" There is something about Mark IV's that I love that you can't find in any other amp. If you like Boogie's, this is the best of the bunch. My JP2C is awesome and my Mark IIC++ is a legendary monster of an amp, but the Mark IV for some reason just takes over and sends the tone to Heaven 11!!! It is so tough to choose which amp to bring!
I sent an email to MESA inquiring about modding RHY2 for more drive. They sent a generic email stating they received my inquiry and will get back to me within 72 hours.

PostPosted: Wed, May 16, 2018 11:14pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Kris Dilbe
Kris Dilbeck (MESA/Boogie)
May 16, 13:26 PDT

I checked the email and this was from MESA;

Greetings
Thanks for your inquiry and unfortunately, we do not have a mod that will increase the amount of gain or drive out of the Rhy2. I am sure a 3rd party tech can experiment for you, but we don't have an official say as we have not tested that amp with any mod like that.

Thanks

Kris

PostPosted: Thu, May 17, 2018 4:19am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I used to own one (wide body Rev A head) and yes, the cleans are one of THE best out there.

Good call on the Thiele, 'cause IMHO the Lead Channel can use all the low end thump to remain tight, yet powerful. Never cared for R2, so I sold it (also because this amp was the 'today's awesome settings sound mediocre tomorrow' kind). The Mark V:25, while lacking a few good IV features (big glass, big iron, footswitchable FX-Loop) does come very close, clean wise too, and the Crunch mode is all you wished for that R2 would do.

Still hoping Mesa will do a Mark V:40/45/50, 3 channel, 2x 6L6 or EL34, footswitchable channel/reverb/solo/eq/fx-loop... :rock:

Engl Savage 60 + Two Notes Torpedo Live
EVH 5150 III 50W + Mesa Boogie 2x12 Vertical Slant cab
Fender '74 Princeton Reverb (w/ Eminence Legend 105-8)
Fryette Sig:X head + HB 212V cab (G12K85 +V30)
Marshall Lead 100 MOSFET + 1966A & 1966B cabs
Mesa Boogie Mark V:25 + Mesa 1x12 Thiele EVM cab
Roland Jazz Chorus JC-55 combo & JC-120H head
Axes:
Burny Les Paul (3x), Charvel So-Cal, Epiphone Wildkat, ESP Horizon NT-II, Fender '68 RI Strat, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, G&L ASAT Classic Tribute & Ibanez S540FM Guitars

PostPosted: Thu, May 17, 2018 6:36am 
Supah Stah

Grab and go, if you have a handtruck :lol: :LOL: Mine weighed almost 80lbs! I moved it to a headshell and used a Mesa widebody 1x12 with it. Killer portable rig! Congrats,great amp.

PostPosted: Thu, May 17, 2018 8:38am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Nice!

I have a Mark IVa wide body head and a Mark IVb short head. They sound basically the same. I read all over the place that the b is brighter than the a, but my a is brighter than my b given same tubes and settings. Really doesn't matter, though, because they are SUPER SUPER close.

Would love to grab a combo for cabin vacations trips and stuff like that.

I get my tubes from ValveQueen. You should too!!

PostPosted: Fri, May 18, 2018 2:53am 
Journeyman NOOB

Congrats!
Still kicking myself for selling my Mark IV :bash:

PostPosted: Fri, May 18, 2018 7:39am 
Rock God

Congrats on the mark IV. Long time mark IVA owner.

I thought I would share a couple of tips/tricks

Like some others, I run dirt pedals on R1. I do this for my crunch sound and edge of breakup sounds. Typically use a Kingsley Harlot, Timmy, or Zendrive for this
For R2, I have gotten the best results with having the GEQ automatically engage when you switch to this channel. I also boost it with a Maxon tubescreamer or a timmy depending on what I am going for.
I found the switchable effects loop changed the tone in a bad way, but I don't have this issue with the normal non-switchable loop, so I just use that now.

For R2, it is the weakest channel, but I think many want more gain from it. If you just use it for heavy crunch and boost it like I said earlier, I think you will find some good tones there.

PostPosted: Fri, May 18, 2018 10:10am 
Immortal Rock God

Get a Thiele and place it about 2 feet away from the combo. It gives it a really wide huge sound. I liked it like that much more than stacking.

PostPosted: Sat, May 19, 2018 9:09am 
Immortal Rock God

The IV is my favorite Mark. I put a V30 in my combo in 2002. It is my grab and go rig.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Sat, May 19, 2018 2:37pm 
Plank Cranker

Markedman wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/41986561231/in/dateposted-public/

I recently picked up two Mark IV's, a transition A/B version Wood & wicker combo and a B version head. Grab and go is in jest? I do use the thiele cabinet in conjunction with the combo but the combo has to weigh 80 lb.s. alone, plus the ATA case and you're looking at "hey, can you give me a hand?" There is something about Mark IV's that I love that you can't find in any other amp. If you like Boogie's, this is the best of the bunch. My JP2C is awesome and my Mark IIC++ is a legendary monster of an amp, but the Mark IV for some reason just takes over and sends the tone to Heaven 11!!! It is so tough to choose which amp to bring!
I sent an email to MESA inquiring about modding RHY2 for more drive. They sent a generic email stating they received my inquiry and will get back to me within 72 hours.

What's this about a transition A/B Mark IV??? what makes it a transition A/B? what are the identifying features? Just curious cause I have a Mark IV.

PostPosted: Sun, May 20, 2018 11:26am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

anomaly wrote:
Markedman wrote:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/100168049@N04/41986561231/in/dateposted-public/

What's this about a transition A/B Mark IV??? what makes it a transition A/B? what are the identifying features? Just curious cause I have a Mark IV.
heres a good link for that answer: https://mesaboogie.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/221885367-Is-my-Mark-IV-an-A-or-B-model-?mobile_site=true