Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Wed, Sep 19, 2018 7:20pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 02, 2018 11:33am 
Apprentice NOOB

Are you human?: 951
What an ass! I was looking forward to seeing him (for a long time). His playing was alright, but his self centered OMG attitude got real boring after about 30 minutes. He keep improvising licks and then making faces as if he was astonished that he pulled it off - whoopi!

Then after the gig, I walked up to him with a simple question and he looked at me like I was at a QVC seminar.

Talk about narcissism to its nth degree. :no:

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 02, 2018 5:40pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Yep, saw the aristocrats locally here in ohio, and was walking to the venue (small awful venue) and walked past the van and saw him in the passenger seat of the van literally duck down and try to hide, while brian beller was pounding furiously for someone to let him in the back door of the venue, like I was going to mug him or something. There was NOBODY around, just me and my son.

Inside the gig, Beller was pointing at people taking pictures to the security to get them to stop or throw them out. I left with such a bad taste in my mouth, that I haven't listened to anything from them since, nor will I ever. No need for that kind of elitism.

PostPosted: Sun, Jun 03, 2018 3:08pm 
Journeyman NOOB

That's a shame, he seems like a nice guy but of course you never can tell until you meet them in person and away from any sort of media.

At least I still have Paul Gilbert to look up to as a person who is both supremely talented and super humble.

Of course, I've never met him either :dunno:

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 04, 2018 6:23pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Thanks guys.

I'm glad I wasn't "hallucinating". :no:

And I concur, as a avid, addicted, evermore fundamentally brutal guitarist and builder of such, I've watched nearly all of Guthrie's YT vids and I was really excited to finally hear him up-front and personal. However, it appears as the old saying goes "you can't judge a book from its cover . . ."

Either way, Guthrie is great to listen to and study, but I'll pass the next time he swings around my neck of the woods.

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 06, 2018 3:46am 
Apprentice NOOB

It'd be nice to hear Mr. Govan match this cat.

PostPosted: Thu, Jun 07, 2018 11:04am 
Scumback Speakers

I met GG at Tone Merchants about 11 years ago, 2007, I think. He was a nice guy, but maybe it was because he was deciding which one of my cabinets to use that night. LOL

The guy is obviously very talented, and I think he was doing something with Andy Wood that night as well. Anyway they were doing some dual lead thing and rehearsing before the show, he seemed genuinely nice and no attitude when I met him.

Of course, who knows, maybe he was having a bad day?

https://www.facebook.com/scumbackspeakers/
https://www.instagram.com/scumback_speakers/

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 08, 2018 4:44pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Someday he will realize that the fans are what really matters. Too bad. I was hoping he would have been a gracious , nice guy.

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 08, 2018 4:47pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Mr. Huge wrote:
It'd be nice to hear Mr. Govan match this cat.

AWESOME player!!!!

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 09, 2018 4:34am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Zachalou wrote:
At least I still have Paul Gilbert to look up to as a person who is both supremely talented and super humble.

Of course, I've never met him either :dunno:

He really is that nice, man.

Matt Figurski (MattFig Kemper Profiles and Motor City Mods I think) met him last year and hung out a bit, and he confirmed it. The dude totally rocks. :rock:

PostPosted: Sat, Jun 16, 2018 4:54am 
Plank Cranker

I saw him a couple years ago in Woodstock. He seemed socially awkward when interacting with fans, but it didn't come across to me as anything other than that. It was a good show, though I left expecting more based on some of the clips I had heard and seen.

PostPosted: Fri, Jun 22, 2018 10:13am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

He's probably inherently-shy.

Passionate about his and others' art, but shy. No ego to speak of there IMHO.

PostPosted: Mon, Jun 25, 2018 8:01pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Monkey Man wrote:
He's probably inherently-shy.

Passionate about his and others' art, but shy. No ego to speak of there IMHO.

Yo MM, I'm am tending to agree with you, now. I most likely judged Guthrie too quickly. Guthrie probably gets inundated with neophytes that just are either wasting his time or simply, just wasting his time because they don't follow through with his valuable advice/instruction. I applaud Guthrie for maintaining a decent level of patients. On the other hand, I have nearly zero patients for students I have taught as professor of mathematics for ~6 years at UCLA. The number of times I wanted to bitch-slap my students that would NOT read the damn text correctly is beyond enumeration.

GG - I personally have gone through and studied every one of GG's "Professor Shred #x" instructional videos that any common creature can find, like myslef. Furthermore, when you pay very close attention to GG speaking about playing the guitar, he fully admits that he works his rear-end off for hours to get things right. So in the end GG is a realist, and when he describes the art of playing guitar with the very clear analogies and the nouns/adjectives and interjections he uses clearly demonstrate that GG is a very educated individual and accepts nothing by chance - it's all a manifestation of classic hard work.

I was floored, needless to say by GG's brilliant technique and his overall 'solid' wisdom and mastery of the guitar fretboard. And my thanks to Guthrie for explaining in simple, but with great precise detail the CAGED system back in the day that completely changed and revolutionized my approach to and at developing almost endless scale shapes throughout the 144 notes (including the 3rd register) we have at our disposal across the fretboard at all times.

On another not, I received a call from a good music mate of mine from Redondo Beach, CA last night. It looks like GG is coming back to the LA area in mid July for another show. He asked me (my music mate) if I wanted to go and I didn't hesitate to say "YES". In the end and after all GG is one of my main influences since I first discovered him back in the late '90s. Along with some of my other great guitar influences such as "Alex Lifeson, Tony Iommi, Randy Rhoads, Zakk Wylde, Ritchie Blackmore, Neal Schon, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, Shawn Lane, Brian May, David Jon Gilmour, Frank Zappa, Darrell Abbott, Robin Trower, Glenn Tipton, Adrian Smith, Gary Moore and Doug Aldrich".

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 27, 2018 1:01am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Who knows man, 2nd time could be the gold. It'll depend on when you catch him (if you do) - the context and whatnot, I s'pose.

Great that you're prepared to withhold judgement of him 'though; kudos to you, brother.

Rock and funk on, man! :rock:

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 27, 2018 1:33am 
Apprentice NOOB

Yo MM, you hit it brutha from anutha Mother.

I'm stoked and thanks from a cool guy down under.

Found this little gem while I was roaming around YT. Be prepared for our old go-to progression, the 12 bar blues taken to a very extreme level - 2m:44s of freaking hardcore UBER STUFF! If anyone here is on the fence about seriously learning how to play the guitar (the correct way), then you may want to steer clear of this video (j/k).

- Enjoy "Sonido Líquido Puro"

PostPosted: Wed, Jun 27, 2018 2:39am 
Apprentice NOOB

Fret-Shredder wrote:
AWESOME player!!!!

You bet! You wanna spread your wings, take a listen to these masters at work.

And for a little twist, Mr. Roth.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 11:45pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Strange. I met Guthrie last summer when he was touring with Hans Zimmer. I worked at the hotel he was staying at and got to deliver their luggage to their rooms. He was super nice. Guess he was just having a good day.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 11, 2018 5:36am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Mr. Huge wrote:
Yo MM, you hit it brutha from anutha Mother.

I'm stoked and thanks from a cool guy down under.

Found this little gem while I was roaming around YT. Be prepared for our old go-to progression, the 12 bar blues taken to a very extreme level - 2m:44s of freaking hardcore UBER STUFF! If anyone here is on the fence about seriously learning how to play the guitar (the correct way), then you may want to steer clear of this video (j/k).

- Enjoy "Sonido Líquido Puro"

His 'Along the Tracks' video from the same session is nothing short of amazing. Perhaps the best video i've seen of his improvisation. I almost can't compute how music pours out of him. He's a genuine modern day Liszt.
When you look at the real musical virtuosos from history like Liszt, Paganini, Chopin etc where they had all transcended learning how to play an instrument and it became a real-time medium of creative expression, Guthrie is absolutely in that same bracket, albeit without the published repertoire of other players.
He's an exceptional talent.

Manuel Contreras Concert Classical
Paulino Bernabe Snr Concert Classical

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 24, 2018 8:39pm 
Hack

I think he's one of the best guitar players of all time. So versatile!! For me he plays in the same league as Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, Steve Lukather and Eddie Van Halen.

PostPosted: Wed, Aug 29, 2018 6:14pm 
Hack

Mr. Huge wrote:
Thanks guys.

I'm glad I wasn't "hallucinating". :no:

And I concur, as a avid, addicted, evermore fundamentally brutal guitarist and builder of such, I've watched nearly all of Guthrie's YT vids and I was really excited to finally hear him up-front and personal. However, it appears as the old saying goes "you can't judge a book from its cover . . ."

Either way, Guthrie is great to listen to and study, but I'll pass the next time he swings around my neck of the woods.

That is really disappointing.

I had a chance to see Matt Scofield the other night in a small venue.

Fantastic show and afterward he came out an hung out in the crowd talking and taking photos. It was really refreshing to see that.