Sticky necks, what to do?

Terex

Maybe it is the weather or humidity, but since a month or two all my guitars at home have a sticky neck.
About three or four months ago I bought a Mayones Regius, it has the most awesome smooth neck ever, but now also that one is feeling sticky.
Also my ESP Eclipse with a satin finish feels sticky. Does anybody have any advise or has had the same problem? Never had this before.
I haven't played much the last two months and it has been pretty hot, maybe that has something to do with it.

And for good measure two pics :)

Schermafbeelding%202018-06-13%20om%2020.08.26_zps0pju27f0.png

33862778_10216280741391995_4910643814135234560_n_zps08oiqu2y.jpg

If the necks are painted I use a general cleaner, and a coat of automotive wax to keep it nice and smooth. If it is an oil finished neck I use a bit of some fretboard oil I have, and a soft cloth, if it is really bad I used superfine steel wool in the past, then oil again with a cloth after.

I keep green scotch brite scrubby pads in my gig bag...a few swipes up and down the neck and tis goot to go!

Basically about every week from april/november here in high humidity land, they get a scrubbin.

Dopethrone":4fxb1fmc said:
I keep green scotch brite scrubby pads in my gig bag...a few swipes up and down the neck and tis goot to go!

Basically about every week from april/november here in high humidity land, they get a scrubbin.

Hmm interesting! This doesn't hurt the neck? Those green pads aren't too harsch?

I use the scotch pads too, they work great. I've not damaged any of my guitars necks with them, it just takes some very gentle wiping to do the trick. Very murky and humid where I'm at this time of year so it needs to happen often lol

Terex":34wp2qhl said:
Dopethrone":34wp2qhl said:

Hmm interesting! This doesn't hurt the neck? Those green pads aren't too harsch?

nah, works great on all my necks. i've sanded a few different necks, 0000 steel wooled a few too.
I like the scotch brite the best, gets the gunk off and leaves no damage.

redfulcrum":bv6sxekj said:
Baby powder works killer

Yep, I always have used Corn Starch since the 1980's. . At every single gig I use it. That or baby powder makes the necks soooo smooth. For people anal about keeping guitars clean though it will gradually accumulate around fretwires ,etc. .Does no damage and is easy as can be to clean off , but I never worry about it.

Eric

Dopethrone":39pm9p9z said:
Terex":39pm9p9z said:
Dopethrone":39pm9p9z said:

nah, works great on all my necks. i've sanded a few different necks, 0000 steel wooled a few too.
I like the scotch brite the best, gets the gunk off and leaves no damage.
Never heard of using that, pretty cool. I think they also make a blue version that is supposed to be non-scratch so it might be more gentle but if the green stuff works that's good to know.

Lol, I used to use a LOT of Fingerease during the summer...and Gorilla Snot for my picking hand. Don't ever get that shit on your fretting hand tho. :no:

journeyman73":3tun7477 said:
Naptha - its what luthiers use

Nice, gonna try this!

I tried the scotch brite, worked great, but left some really light scratches in the neck finish. Doesn't bother me, probably will fade away when played a couple of times. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Back