Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Fri, Jul 20, 2018 11:17pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Depression
PostPosted: Thu, Jul 05, 2018 10:55pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Are you human?: 951
I wish everyone here could see my face as I type this. I'm not okay. Depression has just about defeated me. I really want to be dead. I truly hate life and I hate myself. Its been months since I posted here, and I've completely abandoned music indefinitely. I just don't know where else to voice. So much behind my depression. Its so complex. I've been severely depressed my entire adult life and back into my pre-teenage years. I've always felt inferior. Don't know what it'll take to fix me, if anything. Sometimes death seems the only way out.

Post subject: Re: Depression
PostPosted: Fri, Jul 06, 2018 2:28am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Great lyrics... not so great in real life. I've been through some rough points, I think everyone has, but if I've learned anything, it's that no matter how bad things get, they will eventually get better. Life's just a big cycle of light and dark. Things come, then they go. Same with people. Same with the highs and lows. It just makes me appreciate the good times more and gives me faith that the bad times won't last forever.

If you really feel that way, please keep talking about it. Here is as good a place as any. If you need help getting through this, there's no shame in that. Everyone needs a hand sometimes.

1-800-273-8255
https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 06, 2018 2:43am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

https://www.talkspace.com Please check it out.

-Steve K

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 06, 2018 5:10am 

Bloodstorm wrote:
I wish everyone here could see my face as I type this. I'm not okay. Depression has just about defeated me. I really want to be dead. I truly hate life and I hate myself. Its been months since I posted here, and I've completely abandoned music indefinitely. I just don't know where else to voice. So much behind my depression. Its so complex. I've been severely depressed my entire adult life and back into my pre-teenage years. I've always felt inferior. Don't know what it'll take to fix me, if anything. Sometimes death seems the only way out.

damn bro...can i do anything for you?

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 06, 2018 4:18pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Have you tried seeking medical help for your depression? I know it can be frustrating, but you have to keep working with them to find something that helps.

Beyond that, sometimes you need a nice big change of pace, a big distraction to take you away from the mundane. Figure out what you don't like, and change it. People are more powerful than they think, you just have to step outside that comfort zone, and set something new in motion.

Don't give up on life bro, you can be happy. I've seen people pull themselves out of some real bad funk.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 06, 2018 4:33pm 
Immortal Rock God

Call this number now:

https://suicidepreventionlifeline.org/

It's free and they are professionals. Depression is no joke, and it's ok to want to talk about it. It sucks you've felt the need to shut music out completely. To me that was the only place to turn when I was feeling down and beaten as a teenager. I totally get the inferior point of view - I've even been called insecure by coworkers in a professional review before. How's that for kicking you in the knees?

In reality we do what we can. If you have no friends to be around and music isn't helping like it once was, then I suggest seeking professional help. Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem and isn't to be taken lightly. I hope you manage to find yourself again and get on the other side of this soon.

Henning Cherry Bomb V2 #22/37

Guitars:
2012 Fender Select
1988 Charvel 475XL Special
2018 Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Effects:
ADA 2FX
Lexicon PCM 81
TC Electronic 2240
Damage Control Timeline
Dunlop 535Q

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 06, 2018 5:33pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Hey man, don’t give up.

Get out and surround yourself in nature. Go visit some national parks and see how amazing the world can be.

Staying coupes up in the city doing the same thing day in and day out will get to you. Get out and see the beauty the world has to offer.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 06, 2018 6:46pm 
Supah Stah

Go see your primary care and get on anti depressants, VERY common now, so much so most primary cares will prescribe without a psychologist being involved, although therapy will help you too. Sometimes all it takes is breaking the cycle of negative thoughts for 6-12 months and that may “reset” your brain and start you on a new, better path. Good luck OP !!!

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 07, 2018 4:22am 
Journeyman NOOB

paulyc is right.

You are asking for help and understanding. We can provide the second.

Help needs to come through therapy and medication. Sometimes it takes a while to find the right meds however people who i know who took those - their lives turned for MUCH better.
Also, make sure to get your vitamin D levels checked and testosterone, at times, long term depression is caused by an imbalance of minerals and vitamins in the body.

You also need to have good experience and habbits. Have you tried working out? Depression and anxiety is often battled by a routine, by setting order to chaos and increasing the dopamine reactions.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 07, 2018 12:32pm 
Rock God

paulyc wrote:
Go see your primary care and get on anti depressants, VERY common now, so much so most primary cares will prescribe without a psychologist being involved, although therapy will help you too. Sometimes all it takes is breaking the cycle of negative thoughts for 6-12 months and that may “reset” your brain and start you on a new, better path. Good luck OP !!!

I have a family member that for years was misdiagnosed...they had him diagnosed as ADHD and was on Adderall for years. Helped a bit, but he still couldn't get his feet off the ground so to speak. I remembered him telling me that he never liked big crowds, and felt nervous. I thought maybe he had an Anxiety disorder. He went back to his PCP and told him this...and he was prescribed Sertraline and Hydroxyzine for Anxiety. Sertraline is for Depression and Anxiety. He has been a new person for 6 months now.
Point is, if you go see someone for your issues they will help you, but don't stop there...make sure what they do for you actually works. If not, go back until they get it right. There are a TON of medications that might help you. I should also mention one of the biggest self help fixes is to try and get into better physical shape. Working out just a little bit each day helps release endorphins that will battle your depression without help from medication.
Good luck and don't give up....
:rock:

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 07, 2018 12:46pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

CrazyNutz wrote:
Have you tried seeking medical help for your depression? I know it can be frustrating, but you have to keep working with them to find something that helps.

Beyond that, sometimes you need a nice big change of pace, a big distraction to take you away from the mundane. Figure out what you don't like, and change it. People are more powerful than they think, you just have to step outside that comfort zone, and set something new in motion.

Don't give up on life bro, you can be happy. I've seen people pull themselves out of some real bad funk.

CrazyNuts is correct . GO SEE YOU DOCTOR . Medication will help , I know I've been on it for about 15 years . Before you say I don't want to take drugs for this , it's medicine , when you are sick you take medicine to get better . Same here . You are physically ill , seek medical attention .

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 07, 2018 10:46pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Get some medical help for sure--pray for help and go to a local church and ask them for prayers--try not to think of yourself so much as I know this from experience and free your mind up from suicidal thoughts--maybe get a dog from a pet shelter--try to work out some--take dog for walks,lift some weights or do pushups--volunteer at a food bank,Meals on Wheels,homeless shelter--you will see others have it worse than you and maybe you can encourage someone else.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 08, 2018 11:20pm 
Hack

Find a support group & get professional help. One of the most common issues with people experiencing mental health problems is them not regularly seeing a qualified professional for sessions & not adhering to a medication regimen if it is warranted. This helps build structure & gives a person some aspect of being "in control" of his/her life.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 9:56am 

anybody hear anything from him? hope he's ok.....

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 09, 2018 10:27am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I just sent him a PM

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 11:31am 
Apprentice NOOB

I'm sorry I haven't checked back in. I'm okay. I appreciate all of your kind responses.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 12:10pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Great to hear

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 10, 2018 6:33pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Yeah, that's great to hear! Don't be too much of a stranger... Lots of good people here and we're always willing to listen, no matter what. :)

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 8:19pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I was going to create a new thread, but I guess I'll just save a thread and talk about what I want to talk about here.

I'm depressed. Don't even know where to start. Everything is wrong. Powerless to change it. Just truly upset with my life.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 8:29pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Hey! Talk about anything you want, doesn't matter where you start. I can relate to feeling powerless to change things... I just spent a week helping my mom take care of my step-dad so she could visit her sisters who live out of state. She doesn't think she'll be able to see them again because my step-dad is just too much to handle anymore. He's got Alzheimer's and gets confused and agitated really easily. It's really sad, but at the same time, I'm really worried about my mother, too. She's trying to keep him at home as long as she can, but she's just worn down and worn out by all this over the past few years. There's just nothing that I can do for him and all I can do is try to be there her for in any way I can. That's not much, since they live a few hours away. It's just rough... I have no idea what all is going on in your life, but that's why I've been feeling powerless lately.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 8:34pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

I say listen to all the guys that posted above. Start with a doc visit and go from there. Modern medicine can really help with these matters.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 8:37pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Idk... It's just a bunch of crapola. Boring crapola. Stuff that I can't even begin to describe.

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 8:58pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

LOL, after the week I've had, boring sounds pretty good right now! Seriously, though, since this thread began, there have been over a dozen people who care enough to respond, people who, to the best of my knowledge don't know you personally outside this forum. If they didn't care, it would have been all too easy to just move on to the next thread, but they didn't.

I agree, too, that there has been some good advice posted here, too. Modern medicine really has come a long way. For instance, if someone eats nothing but sugar for a month, it's going to cause some problems with their body chemistry. If someone is under a lot of stress, for any reason, for a month, it's going to cause some problems with their body chemistry, too. Stress, just like sugar, effects everyone a little differently and doctors have the knowledge and tools to determine how best to get your body back on track.

Anyway, you're always welcome to post about anything here, ok? Personally, one of the things I like about this forum is that it gives me a little distraction from life every once in a while, and sometimes, I need something to look forward to, both of which also happen to describe pretty well why I started playing music in the first place. LOL!

PostPosted: Sun, Jul 15, 2018 9:12pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I just need someone to kick my ass. Just flat out beat the ever lovin' shit out of me. Maybe that would fix my problems.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 2:43am 
Journeyman NOOB

No, that would work exactly the opposite direction.

You need to build up your confidence levels and get hooked on feeling good. Have you tried exercising? Hitting the gym may be one way to boost the dopamine/serotonin levels and seeing results.
It's one of the activities recommended for people who suffer from depression and anxiety. You can also release your anger and frustration there, I think it's great.
I've come to believe that the generation of our parents and grandparents rarely knew what depression is because many were working manually throughout their lives. (at least where i come from).

It really is you who can change things for better, there's no one else who can do it for you.
I've had chronic problems for a couple years now dealing with something else than mental health - but I know what it means to be in a dark spot, because my thinking would put me there. I'd feel hollow and as if you put a blanket over my thoughts, I'd just sit and look at the wall.
There were times where I'd be thinking is this life even worth living?
Each time the answer is fuck yes it is. Even more so now that I've got a kid and someone to take care of.

Also - have you tried medication and asking for professional help? Depression is a true disease often caused by hormonal or chemical imbalance and it needs treatment. The worst thing about it is - its invisible, cause iif you have flu you now and realize what the cause is. If you have depression it depersonalizes you from it and you think there's no help. But there is.

It would be great to come up with an action plan for yourself. What have i done or tried to get better? Without expectations, just to try. Simple things like i mentioned. Without pushing yourself or feeling guilty if it does not work from day 1, but being willing to try next day. I can sense a lot of your depression comes from a feeling of guilt, you are giving yourself a lot harder time than you deserve and maybe there's a reason for it.

Right now it's important to realize that you are treating yourself as a different person. Your persistent anger and frustration is the same kind of energy that can be used to getting better. This persistence is actually your biggest strength but you're using it against you. Imagine if other people were this tough and persistent, we'd achieve great things. If only we projected it differently. Imagine how much you've endured up to this day. It's impressive and you.

You are not alone in this world with a problem. We all have our burden but we're here to share the load if anyone needs it.
Good luck man, take care of yourself.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 5:37am 
Supah Stah

There was a post here last night from Bloodstorm that’s gone now about his whole “problem” is that he’s a 27 year old virgin and he just can’t get laid. This sounds very similar to a dude that said all this same stuff a few years ago, NEVER actually took ANY of the advice he was offered and just kept whining over and over about it. Eventually he left the forum in an epic flame out, asked to be banned, etc... I don’t remember the first guys screen name but this whole story is pretty familiar...

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 6:21am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I agree with paulycrybaby but it was more recent than a few years ago.

This is 100% the same guy. It is the exact same story from beginning to end.

I can’t find the posts as it looks like we only have 2 pages of off topic now. So most likely it’s gone. But this is playing out exactly as last time.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 8:19am 
Supah Stah

Everyone's favorite troll is back... ^^^ whowantsablowjob is up to her old tricks.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 10:12am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Ahh poor old paulycrybaby. Silly rabbit , tricks are for kids.

How is agreeing with what you say trolling? If I’m not mistaken you trolled his thread first. Typical of a crybaby.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 10:30am 
Supah Stah

silly rabbit, dicks are for chix whodoesn'thaveadick.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 1:19pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

paulyc wrote:
There was a post here last night from Bloodstorm that’s gone now about his whole “problem” is that he’s a 27 year old virgin and he just can’t get laid. This sounds very similar to a dude that said all this same stuff a few years ago, NEVER actually took ANY of the advice he was offered and just kept whining over and over about it. Eventually he left the forum in an epic flame out, asked to be banned, etc... I don’t remember the first guys screen name but this whole story is pretty familiar...

Yeah, I remember that, too...

To the OP, nobody likes a whiner. If you really want help, you know how to get it. If you just want to whine, do it someplace else. I'm out.

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 1:20pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

paulyc wrote:
silly rabbit, dicks are for chix.

:lol: :LOL: I haven't heard that one in a long time... :lol: :LOL:

PostPosted: Mon, Jul 16, 2018 10:51pm 
Apprentice NOOB

Who here is from Nashville and wants to meet up and kick my ass?