Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Sat, Jul 21, 2018 8:29am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: NAD Mesa Mark IV
PostPosted: Fri, Jul 13, 2018 7:29pm 
Journeyman NOOB

Are you human?: 951
Found a sweet deal on a 1990 Mesa Mark IV head with the footswitch!
Recently I've had to sell off a lot of my gear as we were buying our first house, so I was looking for an extremely versatile amp head to replace my other heads which boiled down to the mark IV and V. I tried to score a V but it never worked out, so when this popped up in my feed I jumped all over it.

I've never owned or even played any of the mark series heads before (I've never actually played any mesa amps) so I kind of took a big chance, but I feel like I got well over my moneys worth as I think all 3 channels are fantastic :rock:

I understand the hype with these heads now, this thing is just badass! While I'm sure the V is a great amp with even more versatility, I don't really see the need to get one as this has more than enough options to offer me, and I think the voicing is more along the lines of what I prefer.

Also quick side note- I don't see all the hate for the second channel, I think it is super useful for a ton of rock tones especially with the EQ

but that lead channel :m17: :inlove: :worship:
(pardon the shitty picture quality)

Cheers! :thumbsup:

Post subject: Re: NAD Mesa Mark IV
PostPosted: Fri, Jul 13, 2018 8:58pm 
Immortal Rock God

Mark IV's are all business - it's as good as any 2203 IMO. HNAD!!!! I'm sure it will bring a lot of inspiration over the coming years :rock:

Henning Cherry Bomb V2 #22/37

Guitars:
2012 Fender Select
1988 Charvel 475XL Special
2018 Gibson Les Paul Traditional

Effects:
ADA 2FX
Lexicon PCM 81
TC Electronic 2240
Damage Control Timeline
Dunlop 535Q

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 13, 2018 9:50pm 
Journeyman NOOB

It is a way way way underrated amp. There is plenty-o-snot in them. I run the individual masters up high, around 7.5-8 and the drive at 10, Simul-class, mid gain, pentode, full power & look out!!! I love ch.2 too.

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 13, 2018 10:24pm 
Journeyman NOOB

glpg80 wrote:
Mark IV's are all business - it's as good as any 2203 IMO. HNAD!!!! I'm sure it will bring a lot of inspiration over the coming years :rock:

I'd like to get another of the new DSL line down the road. I actually preferred it to the 2204 I had, however the 2204/2205 are badass!

Markedman wrote:
It is a way way way underrated amp. There is plenty-o-snot in them. I run the individual masters up high, around 7.5-8 and the drive at 10, Simul-class, mid gain, pentode, full power & look out!!! I love ch.2 too.

I'll have to experiment with it for sure, took me just a few minutes to dial in something awesome and that's pretty rare. Also just put a quad of brand new celestion g12t-100's in the cab and they sound fantastic with it :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 13, 2018 10:51pm 
Apprentice NOOB

I love mine. IIRC mine is a 1991. They are beasts. That is for sure. I like the lead channel on the iv than the v,l. Cleans are better on the v though.

Have fun! Cheers

Splawn Promod
Splawn Nitro
Mesa Tremoverb
Mesa MKIV
Peavey 5150
Peavey JSX
Orange Rockerverb
Orange Dual Terror
Music Man HD212 130
Music Man RD60
Fryette Sig:X
Rivera Knucklehead
... a dozen more.

A fleet of Ibanez Prestiges
A fleet of Gibsons
A fleet of Fenders
...and an assortment of whatever

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 12:07am 
Immortal Rock God

IV is my favorite Mark. Make sure you check out the manual.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 12:13am 
Supah Stah

Most excellent!!!!

• Marshall JVM 210H
• EVH 5150 III 50w
• MESA Trad. 412
• Schecter, LTD & Fender
• EMG 81/85 & 57/66
• SD Black Winter
• Dimarzio Air Zone
• Celestion Vintage 30s

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 12:17am 
Apprentice NOOB

stephen sawall wrote:
IV is my favorite Mark. Make sure you check out the manual.

That is an excellent piece of advice. Cheers

Splawn Promod
Splawn Nitro
Mesa Tremoverb
Mesa MKIV
Peavey 5150
Peavey JSX
Orange Rockerverb
Orange Dual Terror
Music Man HD212 130
Music Man RD60
Fryette Sig:X
Rivera Knucklehead
... a dozen more.

A fleet of Ibanez Prestiges
A fleet of Gibsons
A fleet of Fenders
...and an assortment of whatever

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 5:15am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Nice! :rock:
They are awesome amps and crazy good value for what they are going for these days. Like any Mark I've played, settings can seem extreme. 'Read the manual' is great advice.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 7:30am 
Journeyman NOOB

So far it hasn’t been difficult to dial in on any channel, The graphic EQ is great, I feel it’s far more responsive than the GEQ on the fryette classic lead I had.

I’ll definitely check out the manual today!

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 8:16am 
Immortal Rock God

Set the Bass knob on the Clean / RHY2 to 4. Set the Bass on the Lead channel to 0-3. Other than that pretty much you can set everything any way. This is usually how I always start.

Remember the Treble control has a strong effect on how much gain you have. As much as the gain controls.

Often I leave the GEQ off on the Lead channel. It's very midrange heavy and sounds amazing live with a band without the GEQ. It cuts perfect.

I leave the GEQ on usually on RHY2. It really helps with getting a big sounds on this channel.....
Sometimes I put Gain, Presence and Treble all on 10. Bass on 4. Midrange 3-6. Then use a V shape on the GEQ. 750 and 2200 are extremely useful to cut with this setting live.

Medium or low gain sounds on the Lead channel can be amazing. Set the Gain 6-8 and the Drive 2-4. I usually do this with the GEQ off.

The IV can get some bass heavy sound the other Mark amps don't do. Some of the best highgain sounds I have heard from any amp.

If I do a wet/dry rig with a other amp.....I usually use my IV as my wet amp. With the switches you have 8 voices in the poweramp.

The GEQ works when you take the line out from a other amp and plug into the IV effects return. It is by far the best wet amp I have found when doing this type of rig.

This amp is almost 30 years old. Get some Deoxit and clean the pots, switches, jacks and all tube sockets.
Deoxit is probably the best investment I have ever made for tone. I've seen it bring back amps from the dead. I love this stuff.

I've had this amp almost 30 years and still blown away by new sounds I find in it.

The fact that Stephen appears from nowhere, is sentenced to death in an emotional public trial without anyone interfering at all and is then altogether forgotten as if nothing happened, is already suspicious.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 12:04pm 
Hack

Congrats! I have one, a '92, I believe. It kicks all kinds of ass!

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 2:18pm 
Plank Cranker

Congrats on the new amp. I love my Mark IVb, it's my main amp.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 14, 2018 10:49pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Glad you took a chance on the Mark IV. You will be greatly rewarded for a long, long time! Congrats on landing one of the all time greats!! I'll never be without mine, and I've been playing one for the last 25 years.

I agree, too, with stephen sawall, get some Deoxit. It's one of the best investments I've ever made, too. :yes:

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 17, 2018 8:05am 
Apprentice NOOB

stephen sawall wrote:
Set the Bass knob on the Clean / RHY2 to 4. Set the Bass on the Lead channel to 0-3. Other than that pretty much you can set everything any way. This is usually how I always start.

Remember the Treble control has a strong effect on how much gain you have. As much as the gain controls.

Often I leave the GEQ off on the Lead channel. It's very midrange heavy and sounds amazing live with a band without the GEQ. It cuts perfect.

I leave the GEQ on usually on RHY2. It really helps with getting a big sounds on this channel.....
Sometimes I put Gain, Presence and Treble all on 10. Bass on 4. Midrange 3-6. Then use a V shape on the GEQ. 750 and 2200 are extremely useful to cut with this setting live.

Medium or low gain sounds on the Lead channel can be amazing. Set the Gain 6-8 and the Drive 2-4. I usually do this with the GEQ off.

The IV can get some bass heavy sound the other Mark amps don't do. Some of the best highgain sounds I have heard from any amp.

If I do a wet/dry rig with a other amp.....I usually use my IV as my wet amp. With the switches you have 8 voices in the poweramp.

The GEQ works when you take the line out from a other amp and plug into the IV effects return. It is by far the best wet amp I have found when doing this type of rig.

This amp is almost 30 years old. Get some Deoxit and clean the pots, switches, jacks and all tube sockets.
Deoxit is probably the best investment I have ever made for tone. I've seen it bring back amps from the dead. I love this stuff.

I've had this amp almost 30 years and still blown away by new sounds I find in it.

Lots of good advice here. I'm with Stephen in that I rarely use the GEQ when I am on the lead channel. It sounds so sweet without it, and it sits so well in the mix. I use it on channel 2, but depending on which guitar I use. The SG sounds very good without it, but the LP likes it being on. With the SG in particular, with R2's gain set at 10, I get some very "Marshally" tones from R2.

Very versatile amp. I have EL34s in the outer sockets and really like how it sounds.

Thanks for reading.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 17, 2018 8:20am 
Rock God

Congrats on the mark IVA, I have a 1990 mark IVA as well, great amp. I like to boost R2 with a Maxon tubescreamer and set the gain lower on R2. I also use the EQ on R2 all the time.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 17, 2018 8:35am 
Immortal Rock God

I have a love/hate relationship with R2. I did a show this past weekend and I did have to use R2 a lot, when you're playing classic rock sometimes the lead is just to awesome for some of that old fart classic rock! :lol: :LOL: Normally when I set OD pedals I usually crank the level and keep the gain low but I think R2 works well if the pedal gain is boosted high and the level kept about halfway.

And people who complain about vanishing in the mix are just scooping the 750 slider down too low. If you're playing with another guitar who also scoops his mids then you're fine, but scoop your mids and if the other guy is playing a JCM800 you'll be lost.

PostPosted: Tue, Jul 17, 2018 2:21pm 
Plank Cranker

danyeo wrote:
I have a love/hate relationship with R2. I did a show this past weekend and I did have to use R2 a lot, when you're playing classic rock sometimes the lead is just to awesome for some of that old fart classic rock! :lol: :LOL: Normally when I set OD pedals I usually crank the level and keep the gain low but I think R2 works well if the pedal gain is boosted high and the level kept about halfway.

And people who complain about vanishing in the mix are just scooping the 750 slider down too low. If you're playing with another guitar who also scoops his mids then you're fine, but scoop your mids and if the other guy is playing a JCM800 you'll be lost.

R2 boosted with an OD is a pretty good tone, it's got a bit of a marshally vibe to it. I also use it for classic rock stuff as the lead channel is a bit to gainy and modern for old rock.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 18, 2018 8:31am 
Apprentice NOOB

anomaly wrote:
danyeo wrote:

R2 boosted with an OD is a pretty good tone, it's got a bit of a marshally vibe to it. I also use it for classic rock stuff as the lead channel is a bit to gainy and modern for old rock.

When I boost R2 with my Effectrode Blackbird, I get some extremely good sounds.

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 18, 2018 9:08am 
Journeyman NOOB

A lot of helpful tips here, a few days later and I’m still loving it, Really digging channel 2 for rock stuff, it’s just so articulate and has a great note separation going on, I’ve spent a lot of time on it

The pots seem really clean, but I did order some deoxit for future use!

Lead channel is such a beast, and after reading some comments I agree it sounds better without the EQ, but I love the EQ on the first 2 channels.

After experimenting, I’ve concluded that I just don’t like a boost at all with this amp, so probably time to move my maxon on and pick up a chorus or something weird

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 18, 2018 2:50pm 
Plank Cranker

Your amp doesn't need a boost. I should know... :D

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 18, 2018 5:31pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Just FYI, Deoxit is good for cleaning the input and speaker jacks, EQ sliders, and the tube sockets, too. If/when you change tubes, it's never a bad idea to spray a little in the socket, then insert and remove the old tubes a couple of times to work away any carbon/grime that may have built up. No need to be overzealous, but it does keep everything nice and clean. Great stuff!

PostPosted: Wed, Jul 18, 2018 6:23pm 
Journeyman NOOB

ChurchHill wrote:
Just FYI, Deoxit is good for cleaning the input and speaker jacks, EQ sliders, and the tube sockets, too. If/when you change tubes, it's never a bad idea to spray a little in the socket, then insert and remove the old tubes a couple of times to work away any carbon/grime that may have built up. No need to be overzealous, but it does keep everything nice and clean. Great stuff!

Good to know, I will definitely make a note of it, this is one beast of an amp and I'd love to preserve it :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 19, 2018 12:29am 
Immortal Rock God

Make sure you check out the entire gain range of every channel. It's a extremely versatile amp.

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 19, 2018 7:50am 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Congrats man!!! I have yet to play a Mesa either. Someday.

Good transactions with: krueger>>>ibzprestige>>>journeyman73>>>JerEvil>>>>apophis>>>DragonCrestPC>>>hammered>>>Hardvalve>>>lowmantotempole>>>FLYINRYAN11>>>bwgintegra

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 19, 2018 3:06pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

MetalHeadMike wrote:

We have GOT to fix that... ;)

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 19, 2018 5:07pm 
Journeyman NOOB

NewWorldMan wrote:
Your amp doesn't need a boost. I should know... :D

Was this yours?

PostPosted: Thu, Jul 19, 2018 5:46pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

I LOVED Ch2 of my MKIV. I lived there most of the time. It’s easy to make those amps sound “weird” if you’re not used to dialing in Boogies. That being said , I love that amp.

1991 Gibson Les Paul Jr.
2010 Fender Am Std Telecaster
'74 JMP Superlead
'78 JMP 2203
Marshall JVM 210H
Kemper
Marshall cabs
Seagrams 7

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 20, 2018 3:31pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

ChurchHill wrote:
MetalHeadMike wrote:

We have GOT to fix that... ;)

Indeed we do..... :thumbsup:

Good transactions with: krueger>>>ibzprestige>>>journeyman73>>>JerEvil>>>>apophis>>>DragonCrestPC>>>hammered>>>Hardvalve>>>lowmantotempole>>>FLYINRYAN11>>>bwgintegra

PostPosted: Fri, Jul 20, 2018 4:39pm 
Supah Stah

Post some clips of that bad boy.

PostPosted: Sat, Jul 21, 2018 7:36am 
Apprentice NOOB

Norton666 wrote:
I LOVED Ch2 of my MKIV. I lived there most of the time. It’s easy to make those amps sound “weird” if you’re not used to dialing in Boogies. That being said , I love that amp.
For what it's worth, when I got mine, I started a new personal tradition. I decided to institute a new type of practice session. A once a week "gear" practice. The whole purpose of it was to spend an hour with one piece of gear. Not trying to learn a song or anything like that. The goal was to learn more about that piece of gear.

With my amps, a looper was a huge help. I would play a riff, and then repeatedly play it back with the looper. I fed the looper in as input to my amp. Then, I simply sat down and played with the controls. Being able to adjust settings on the fly (without having to stop playing, and then tweak) made all the difference in the world.

And, for the Mark IV, the manual is a great place to start.