Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Aug 14, 2018 12:07pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Synergy caps in 20th XTC
PostPosted: Thu, Aug 02, 2018 7:37am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Are you human?: 951
I was pondering what was said in this post about the newer synergy caps vs older sozo... viewtopic.php?f=59&t=189268

Me being the perpetual tinkerer and rather handy with a soldering iron, I was wondering how many there are of what values, where I could buy some (preferably in Europe, but anywhere will do), and if they’re reasonably accessible. If the answer is yes, then based on what was said in that post I figure it’s worth a spot of soldering to make an amp that cost more than my car as good as it can be? :)

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 02, 2018 1:20pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Get them from here http://valvestorm.com/Products/Componen ... s/Coupling

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 02, 2018 1:51pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Cheers!

I don’t suppose anyone knows what values they’d be? I’m guessing Sod’s law states the values will be on the underside so I won’t know what they are to order until I’ve rendered the amp temporarily useless! Also is it obvious which ones are the current SoZo ones are and where they go?

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 02, 2018 3:14pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

You can open the amp up and just write down the values of the existing caps. They should be wima brand (red, and green box caps) and have the values printed on the side.

PostPosted: Thu, Aug 02, 2018 7:58pm 
Apprentice NOOB

CrazyNutz wrote:
You can open the amp up and just write down the values of the existing caps. They should be wima brand (red, and green box caps) and have the values printed on the side.

If they’re WIMA caps, a cap change would likely involve a PCB flip. No thanks!! Pretty big job for not a lot of return IMO. Cap VALUE change, yes, but can TYPE change, more subtle and not worth the effort. YMMV etc.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 03, 2018 7:32am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

They’re 20th Anni SoZo mustards I’d be finding to replace with Synergy Mustards. It was based on that thread I mentioned in the OP saying

“I'd love to play a 20th with the newer Synergy caps - Reinhold, Charley & Jorg all say it is a noticeable difference. The 20th with older caps could sound smeared/boxy, and this effect was most apparent at lower levels.”

If for the cost of a cheap-ass stonpbox and a bit of effort I can make the almost best amp in the world the best one, then I figured it’s worth looking into based on that description. It won’t be massive but if they supposedly say noticeable, then who am I to argue.

Obviously if it’s a total shit and I have to totally strip the amp and desolate a million things to get to them, then obvs that makes it a bit more off-putting.

PostPosted: Fri, Aug 03, 2018 8:21am 
Plank Cranker Trainee

Ahh, did not know they switch to SoZo's at some point.

If you open the amp up and find SoZo's it will be an easy job.

A little bit of info on the SoZo vs Synergy thing. The SoZos used to be the exact same cap as the Synergys. SoZo could not keep up with their commitment to the company manufacturing the cap(or something to that effect), so synergy swooped in and took over. SoZo moved on to another manufacture but its not the same cap anymore, even though it's labeled the same.

Short story the Synergys are the real deal, and sound the best. On a side note if your amp has SoZo, they may, or may not be the good ones, just depends on if it was built before the fallout.