Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Tue, Aug 14, 2018 12:08pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 12, 2018 5:42pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Are you human?: 951
I happened across a nice bookshelf cabinet that would fit my Uberschalls nicely. Only problem is that the back of the cabinet is closed. I worry about ventilation for the amps and it getting too hot. How much ventilation do amps need in this situation?

Good deals with leftydave, TheMagicEight, smdb, wiseblood, 92xl50, nevusofota, Steve_k, Ippon, ibanez4life SZ!, sschultz242, suhrimmetal, caseygree, Buckeyedog, zepsongs, billm408, mfred, and moltenmetalburn

Schecter Guitars
Bogner Überschall Rev 2/Twin Jet (Both with EL34/KT88 bias switches)
Bogner Überkab

http://soundcloud.com/leib10

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 12, 2018 5:59pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

leib10 wrote:
I happened across a nice bookshelf cabinet that would fit my Uberschalls nicely. Only problem is that the back of the cabinet is closed. I worry about ventilation for the amps and it getting too hot. How much ventilation do amps need in this situation?
I'd it's a metal frill Uber you should be fine, bit if not you may want to refrain from using it

Mojo 4x12 w/G12H-30s & V30s
Charvel Pro Mod Neon Pink
Charvel Pro Mod Rocket Red
USACG Superstrat - Roasted Maple Neck/Roasted Alder/1984 Original Floyd Rose

PostPosted: Sun, Aug 12, 2018 9:49pm 
Plank Cranker

Not sure what your bookcase is like, but if it's possible, you could cut some discreet holes in the back, possibly even mount a few low speed fans, too. If the back is hardwood, you might be able to replace the whole back with another panel. That way, you could restore it to original condition, if/when that might be necessary. Having a few holes in the back might give you an option to run the speaker and power cables, too.

Other than that, I concur with Scottosan. Metal grills will provide enough convection cooling on their own. Otherwise, it's gonna get pretty hot back there.

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 13, 2018 11:24am 
Apprentice NOOB

I try to leave as much open space in the back and top as possible.

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 13, 2018 11:41am 
Wannabe a Supah Stah

I try to give them as must breathing room as i can. I would not use the bookshelf you describe,but i always try err on the side of safety. I have road cases for some of my amps and would never run them without the backs off.

Proud to be a Texan. Even more proud to be American.

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 13, 2018 11:45am 
Plank Cranker

I leave an open space behind my amps even run a fan if it's on for a long amount of time .

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 13, 2018 11:58am 
Plank Cranker

I would not put my amps in a closed back book shelf. I would open the back up

gtkdev on TGP​

Good deals with Green Pro Am, Holy-Diver, Blessedadversary777, Adam of Angels, Base341, bwgintegra ...

http://ashenreign.com

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 13, 2018 12:04pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

If I cut some of the back panel off, how much surface area for ventilation do you think is necessary?

Good deals with leftydave, TheMagicEight, smdb, wiseblood, 92xl50, nevusofota, Steve_k, Ippon, ibanez4life SZ!, sschultz242, suhrimmetal, caseygree, Buckeyedog, zepsongs, billm408, mfred, and moltenmetalburn

Schecter Guitars
Bogner Überschall Rev 2/Twin Jet (Both with EL34/KT88 bias switches)
Bogner Überkab

http://soundcloud.com/leib10

PostPosted: Mon, Aug 13, 2018 1:18pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

leib10 wrote:
If I cut some of the back panel off, how much surface area for ventilation do you think is necessary?

I'd just cut out an area= to the back of the amp, or may be just a bit less.

As mentioned by someone else, you could also run a small fan clipped on the side of the shelf blowing towards the back.

Hell, you could even get a small exhaust fan and mount one in the rear of the back panel and call it good I would think. I'm sure they make make them as small as 6" x 6", maybe even smaller.

Or you could skip the bookshelf and just pick up a cheap metal utility shelf unit and not have worry about ventilation.

Good transactions with: krueger>>>ibzprestige>>>journeyman73>>>JerEvil>>>>apophis>>>DragonCrestPC>>>hammered>>>Hardvalve>>>lowmantotempole>>>FLYINRYAN11>>>bwgintegra

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 14, 2018 12:26am 
Plank Cranker

Well, you could do what MetalHeadMike does and use a stove pipe... ;)

MetalHeadMike wrote:

Seriously, though, if I was going to mount a fan in the back, I would put a 4"-6" panel-mount fan mounted directly to the back blowing outward placed close to the center of the tubes and close to the top of the shelf. I picked up a couple of low noise fans for my rack from Sweetwater and I can't even tell they're on if I'm more than 2 feet away. Can't hear them at all from the front. Don't remember the price, but it seemed reasonable. Computer supply stores should also have them, but you'd probably have to change the connector to use it with a standard outlet and make sure that it was 120vac unless you want to run ten 12vac fans in series.

PostPosted: Tue, Aug 14, 2018 10:11am 
Plank Cranker

As an alternative, for $25 you could get this would would hold 4 amps. There are different sizes available, but this would be much better than a closed book shelf:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-54-in-H-x-36-in-W-x-14-in-D-4-Shelf-Wire-Ivory-Finish-Shelving-Unit-21436WPS/302073750

gtkdev on TGP​

Good deals with Green Pro Am, Holy-Diver, Blessedadversary777, Adam of Angels, Base341, bwgintegra ...

http://ashenreign.com