Rig-Talk

Guitars, Gear, Tone!
It is currently Mon, Sep 24, 2018 9:59pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 08, 2018 5:17pm 
Rock God

Are you human?: 951
Went to play diezel einstein amp and heard weird cracklings.

I narrowed it down to single red plating JJ KT 77.

Can I just assume it was the tube as Ive played this amp without a single issue for a year on these particular used tubes which have an unknown lifespan.

Or do I REALLY need to take it to a tech to have it all looked it.

I was hoping to buy a new quad and bias them up to see what happens but didnt want to risk amplifier damage.

Thanks!

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78 plus like 150 more peeps...

Here long before it sucked.

PostPosted: Sat, Sep 08, 2018 10:44pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Did it blow a fuse? I'm no tech, but had the same thing with a Splawn QR. Blew the slo-blo fuse, replaced the fuse, Replaced tubes with a new quad and it was fine.

Good transactions with: Tuckerbomb>>>krueger>>>ibzprestige>>>journeyman73>>>JerEvil>>>>apophis>>>DragonCrestPC>>>hammered>>>Hardvalve>>>lowmantotempole>>>Mailman1971>>>FLYINRYAN11>>>bwgintegra

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 09, 2018 10:15am 
Rock God

MetalHeadMike wrote:
Did it blow a fuse? I'm no tech, but had the same thing with a Splawn QR. Blew the slo-blo fuse, replaced the fuse, Replaced tubes with a new quad and it was fine.

Nope, once I tracked down the noise to the tube (3minutes or so) I shut it down.

Ordered a quad to be delivered Thursday.

Great transactions with: Dexter Jackson, Pfapin05, Donbarzini, Ratter, Guitarslinger, Sixstring, Empire Prod, Motorpud, Iamthejoker,9841507,Ultron, Diagrammatiks, Juggernaut, studio289, Steve K., Dmtnt, Rhequiem, Craftm1, Red Witch, Reilly, Bucksears, ajr2454, Glip22, jabberwocker!, glassjaw7, Khoi, mizati20, ibanez4life SZ, Glide-on, Prime rib, Droptrd, Bwgintegra,Bognerluv,ben hur,TjSlice, Flizzo,Bronco, leib10, Vchizzle, Captain Stinko, Warhead78 plus like 150 more peeps...

PostPosted: Sun, Sep 09, 2018 10:33am 
Immortal Rock God

As tubes age the bias will drift. Seems you caught it just in time before it shorted and potentially took out more components with it.

Swap the whole set with new glass, bias them up, and you should be good to go

Guitars:
2012 Fender Select
1988 Charvel 475XL Special
2018 Gibson Les Paul Traditional
1999 Wolfgang Standard (Emerald Green)

Effects:
ADA 2FX
Lexicon PCM 81
TC Electronic 2240
Damage Control Timeline
Dunlop 535Q

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 10, 2018 11:49pm 
Plank Cranker Trainee

glpg80 wrote:
As tubes age the bias will drift. Seems you caught it just in time before it shorted and potentially took out more components with it.

Swap the whole set with new glass, bias them up, and you should be good to go

Yup, you're probably good to go with new glass. Just make sure to check and set the bias.

However, when power tubes go funky on me like this, I pull the chassis and have a look at the screen grid resistors.
Make sure nothing looks burnt, and if you can, check them with a meter ( amp off and unplugged of course!! )
They should all read approx. the same ohms, in this case probably 1k. ( sorry, not intimately familiar with the circuit ).
Make sure they aren't shorted or open.
I searched for a gut shot of an einstein, and it looks like the 4 circled resistors are the screen grids. Diezel support could confirm.

If everything looks good, then pop the new glass in, bias them up, and rock out.
If there is anything strange with the screen resistors, take it to a tech and DO NOT use the amp until the resistors are replaced.

The chances that there are any issues is small, but it never hurts to check....

Good luck with the amp!!

Attachments:
Einstien Screen grid resistors.jpg
Einstien Screen grid resistors.jpg [ 144.1 KiB | Viewed 203 times ]

EVH 5150III 100watt
Friedman BE100
Marshall 1987xl (with V2a 80's mod board)
Peavey 5150 block letter
Peters Vega-FSM
Soldano SLO 100
Vox AC30HW
Wizard MCII

A couple Les Pauls, an SG etc...
PostPosted: Thu, Sep 13, 2018 4:33pm 
Rock God

Thanks for all the help guys!

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17, 2018 1:25pm 
Rock God

Turned out here were some loose socket pins.

I tightened all of them biased up a new quad of kt77 to 70ma, a bit hotter than my typical 65ma and the amp sounds and plays better than ever.

Thanks for all the help.

PostPosted: Mon, Sep 17, 2018 8:48pm 
Plank Cranker Wanker

Glad you got it sorted!