New Legendary 4x12 Cab Day - vintage EVH content

• Thread starter Thread starter RedPlated
  • Start date Start date
What did you pay?
We made a really fair deal. I would prefer not to disclose actual amount but it was probably about what the speakers sell for these days.
Ugh this is legit af bro, congrats...is the amp hand wired? Need more pics!!!!!!!
Yup it’s a turret board amp!
Awesome! Looks like someone removed the center post?
Yessir, post is gone. Otherwise it’s all complete and actually in surprisingly good shape. I cannot comprehend that this cab made it this long without holes being poked in the speakers somehow.

What a cool cabinet! I already feel sorry for your wife/gf/close friends though... they're going to be so fking tired of hearing you tell this same story.

I like stories like this. Cab looks great... even better that it sounds great. Killer score.

I'd have to think the speakers have been removed from the cab based on the marks on the cheese head screws, but stuff like that wouldn't bother me.

After seeing the inside cab pics, those handles appear the Scumback metal handles, which makes sense since they fit the old plastic handle cutouts. Glad I could help you out with the verification. Still can't believe you have that wall of amps in your living room with the white framing around them. I remember seeing them 4-5 years back when I delivered some stuff to your house.

Congrats Jeremy, that's one amazing story! Just an FYI, those corner protectors actually started in 72. But not consistent with every cab. My 72 cab doesn't have them; but it's because the studio I bought it from removed them. The rivet holes are there.
Pulsonics are the real deal. What a sound.

I like stories like this. Cab looks great... even better that it sounds great. Killer score.

I'd have to think the speakers have been removed from the cab based on the marks on the cheese head screws, but stuff like that wouldn't bother me.
You’re probably right. I dunno. It looks like the wiring has never been touched though.
After seeing the inside cab pics, those handles appear the Scumback metal handles, which makes sense since they fit the old plastic handle cutouts. Glad I could help you out with the verification. Still can't believe you have that wall of amps in your living room with the white framing around them. I remember seeing them 4-5 years back when I delivered some stuff to your house.
Yeah I was hoping they were original handles but they are replacements. I would assume they are yours.

I always appreciate your advice and assistance with anything speaker/ cabinet related. It’s really great to have such a good resource.

You should stop by again, there’s more amps now!
Congrats Jeremy, that's one amazing story! Just an FYI, those corner protectors actually started in 72. But not consistent with every cab. My 72 cab doesn't have them; but it's because the studio I bought it from removed them. The rivet holes are there.
Pulsonics are the real deal. What a sound.
Thanks man.

I didn’t realize they started the corners in 72’. I had a 73’ before this one that didn’t have them. No holes in the tolex. I guess it’s just random like you said.

I have a 68 Marshall cab with original G12M greenbacks with Pulsonic cones. These grey back Pulsonics are tighter and more focused. I actually think I might like them better.

Last edited:
You’re probably right. I dunno. It looks like the wiring has never been touched though.

Yeah I was hoping they were original handles but they are replacements. I would assume they are yours.

I always appreciate your advice and assistance with anything speaker/ cabinet related. It’s really great to have such a good resource.

Thanks man.

I didn’t realize they started the corners in 72’. I had a 73’ before this one that didn’t have them. No holes in the tolex. I guess it’s just random like you said.

I have a 68 Marshall cab with original G12M greenbacks with Pulsonic cones. These grey back Pulsonics are tighter and more focused. I actually think I might like them better.
I actually think those speakers came from a slant cab. You can see the wire isn't straight between speakers and has some slack. I know this because I've swapped speakers from slants to straights without unsoldering and the wiring was the same way.

It doesn't mean that it wasn't like this if EVH had it... and he could have possibly done it himself. :cool:

I actually think those speakers came from a slant cab. You can see the wire isn't straight between speakers and has some slack. I know this because I've swapped speakers from slants to straights without unsoldering and the wiring was the same way.

It doesn't mean that it wasn't like this if EVH had it... and he could have possibly done it himself. :cool:

That’s a great observation actually. Now I’ll be googling photos of early 70’s Marshall 4x12 speakers for the rest of the day.

But yeah, either way I still love this cab and I’m just as good with it if they were changed over.

LOL, well the trek from Prescott, AZ to your place is about 400 miles...so...see ya this weekend! LOL Just kidding. I ain't coming back to SoCal or Cali if I can help it. Took too long to get out of there and all that madness!

Great score, congrats! I've been listening to a lot of WASP lately and just became aware of the Chris Holmes/EVH Marshall link. Now I know why I love the tone on those early WASP albums so much!

Now I’ll be googling photos of early 70’s Marshall 4x12 speakers for the rest of the day.

What a cool story and epic cab! Here’s how my ‘72 1960B wiring is as-factory. No corner protectors on the cab. I’ve recently upgraded to Scumback metal handles (perfect fit, BTW). Far and away my favorite cab. Enjoy that piece o’ history!

IMG_3774.jpeg

Thanks everyone for sharing in this. I’ll try to make a clip at some point. Played it again last night with the MOAB. Such a good match.

Here’s a video I found of the white Marshall:

Great clip of the Marshall congrats nothin like vintage 25 era

Back