MT 100 quick review...

• Thread starter Thread starter Racerxrated
  • Start date Start date
R
Racerxrated
Well, I had high hopes for this and.....

It's KILLER! This amp has 2 things that I don't hear, usually, with newer amps unless you spend a bunch on a Wizard or others in that higher price range....really great feel, and PUNCH like a nice Superlead, Coliseum, Triple Rec, the Rev C Recto I had....It has HUGE low end, but I can dime it and it stays tight. No flub, bloat, mud etc. Some didn't think it had very good clarity, but my usual EQ with other amps is to dime the presence, drop the mids to 9-10am, and treble up to taste...and that way the clarity is just as good as almost any amp I've owned. Maybe not the best, but it has very good clarity that way. I'm playing through a 1989 Marshall Vintage 8 ohm cab, and they are a bit brighter than a Mesa V30 cab, but not as bright as the newer Marshall vintage cabs.

Another nice surprise is, it has a really fast response which makes it super easy to play....almost as fast as a non eq 2C+. The 'plastic' thing that some heard in the demos? Non existent in person. VS the EVH stuff, more recently I had a 100w EL34 Stealth and that same plastic thing was there. Even though the demos, don't seem to have it. It also doesn't get loud, it PUNCHES you like a Wizard, HiWatt, Superlead etc does. I'll have to check the plate voltage when I get a chance...I'll bet it's pretty high. The PT is about the same size as what I had in my old C+ Coli. It's enormous.

All in all, I hoped it would be good, but to me it's GREAT. It's also super quiet, hardly any hiss with the gain at noon. The tubes were also biased perfectly at 30ma. The only other amp that it competes with price wise, is the Randall RD100, and that thing is garbage imo. I had one 10 yrs ago, couldn't return it fast enough. Then next amp to compete is the $700 more EVH big boys, which have a totally different tone BUT to my ears it's just not close when you compare the punch, thickness to the notes, feel and response...this amp smokes the EVH. IMO only; I know lots of you love those so I'm not criticizing them but this amp just has things I value more I guess.
I can honestly say that, if this amp was a single channel amp for 1850 it would still be killer. This lead channel absolutely smokes. The clean is also very good, arguably the best I've heard in a high gainer short of a C+ clean. The OD channel is pretty mid heavy and I think works well for a live lead channel. All have that same great feel, too.

I'm gonna have to set up a youtube to do a proper clip, gotta do a Morin clip too but at the very least, if you guys/girls get a chance to play one locally do it. This Lead channel alone is worth the price of admission.

I should mention that I'm straight in, and no boost needed..it already sounds like a triple recto boosted with a mod to make the lows super tight...

Last edited:
The lead channel fuckin rips man. It does something different then all my other high gain amps and sounds killer. The punch from this amp is amazing and like you I don’t find in issue with clarity.

The lead channel fuckin rips man. It does something different then all my other high gain amps and sounds killer. The punch from this amp is amazing and like you I don’t find in issue with clarity.
Definitely! It is a great sound...definitely has that Recto DNA for sure. As long as I keep the presence up pretty high, it has good clarity. But even with all that low end, it doesn't sound 'smeared' or muddy/bloated. They did a great job with it.

Oh. Ah. PRS MT100 Mark Tremonti sig amp.

LOL - took me a minute. Congrats. Sounds like you dig it. Looking forward to your clips.

HNPRSD :cheers:

Great to hear you like it. I was wondering if maybe these amps have audio Presence and Treble pots like the Friedman SS...which makes a new user think they are darker/smoother than they really are because the Treble and Presence are pretty tame until you up to about 7-8 then they come on fast. Does the MT100 do that?

My initials are MT. :unsure:

Yes, the presence does seem to do that....It's definitely a dark amp until you get that presence up there. And, of course like most amps gets brighter the higher the MV goes...when you open it up, 9am or more on the master it just comes alive and thumps you.

Still has weird mids in every recording I’ve heard. No comment on the Kirk cocked wah thing going on? Low end is the least of my concerns with a guitar amp. It just seems voiced like you’d get ear fatigue in minutes.

Still has weird mids in every recording I’ve heard. No comment on the Kirk cocked wah thing going on? Low end is the least of my concerns with a guitar amp. It just seems voiced like you’d get ear fatigue in minutes.
Nope. No cocked wah at all, on the lead channel...of course, my mids are down around 9am. Now, the OD channel, that is very mid heavy, but not cocked wah to my ears..I have the presence up on that channel, mid/treb off and its still too middy. The Clean is definitely killer too.
But that lead channel, really great with a ton of punch. With the master at 9am, it rattles the walls. Very reminiscent of the 2 F triples I had, rich sounding with nice feel.

Yeah I don’t hear the cocked wah thing either, I’d say the mids are more natural sounding.
I believe from the mt15 circuit and this being a similar design on the lead channel that the gain pot doesn’t have a cap across it giving you more or less bite depending on where the pot is like many other amps out there, I believe the presence circuit is tamed a little bit as well so the frequency range is lower. Makes the tone a little smoother on the highs. I’m honestly guessing by what I’ve seen on the internet. I haven’t cracked mine open yet as I’ve been enjoying the amp. I want to add that I find this amp actually easier on the ears then my other amps that are more upper mid range voiced and have that agressive tone in that area.
Definitely if you’re able check one out and crank up the lead channel. I find it’s very addicting to play.

Yeah, I didn't have the same experience. Its the worst sounding amp I've ever had. It reminds me of not knowing how to work a kemper. Just straight up sounds like sh*t. I'm guessing mine has a problem. I'm bitter about this so you'll just have to deal with it. But yeah... it sucks. Completely.

Yeah, I didn't have the same experience. Its the worst sounding amp I've ever had. It reminds me of not knowing how to work a kemper. Just straight up sounds like sh*t. I'm guessing mine has a problem. I'm bitter about this so you'll just have to deal with it. But yeah... it sucks. Completely.
Wow, that's too bad. Sorry to hear, maybe like you said it has a problem? I wouldn't be surprised if somehow it was tube related since modern tubes can be unreliable.
I can honestly say that mine sounds as good as my last F Triple, boosted....and this amp is even tighter without a boost, straight in.

Nope. No cocked wah at all, on the lead channel...of course, my mids are down around 9am. Now, the OD channel, that is very mid heavy, but not cocked wah to my ears..I have the presence up on that channel, mid/treb off and its still too middy. The Clean is definitely killer too.
But that lead channel, really great with a ton of punch. With the master at 9am, it rattles the walls. Very reminiscent of the 2 F triples I had, rich sounding with nice feel.
Mids at 9...holy cow...you scooper you...LOL!

What’s up with yours ? Why is it so bad to you ?

Glad you're diggin' it Racer! :2thumbsup:

I didn't like some of the Iconic clips when it first came out and then the later ones sounded killer so maybe the MT100 is a similar situation? You only really know if you like an amp until you actually play it IMHO!

Glad you're diggin' it Racer! :2thumbsup:

I didn't like some of the Iconic clips when it first came out and then the later ones sounded killer so maybe the MT100 is a similar situation? You only really know if you like an amp until you actually play it IMHO!
Yep; the first time I heard an Iconic vid, I thought it was just OK.....but then heard it in person, and much prefer it to any of the other EVH amps, at volume anyway.
Clips of this one seemed decent; but in the room it's a crushing boosted Triple Recto type tone. No boost necessary.

Yeah, that review is so far from what I hear, I wonder if its under/overbiased? Or a bad pre tube? It's a great sounding/feeling amp and pretty easy to dial in, IMO.
Ya it be interesting to know

Yep; the first time I heard an Iconic vid, I thought it was just OK.....but then heard it in person, and much prefer it to any of the other EVH amps, at volume anyway.
Clips of this one seemed decent; but in the room it's a crushing boosted Triple Recto type tone. No boost necessary.
I preferred the Stealth 50w to the Iconic in the room. Took it home. Would still have it if I didn't buy that stupid pos SLO100.

You and Blake have me curious about the MT.
I'm not hearing the Recto grunginess in the clips. Uber I get, as it has a bit tigher saturation.
The MT is impressive on Z's clip, where he maxes the gain knob on the red channel. It stays tight and articulate, despite having a lot of gain. Seems like it must not have EVH/3534 red or SLO levels of gain. The blue channel has a nice range to it.

I look forward to playing one, once they're in stock around here.

Back