Friedman PLEX

Corey James

I got it a couple days ago, not a lot of time to play it as of yet but it is fun! It's official release is today, somehow, I got it early. No complaints there.

The amp is cool, might be doing some SL67 comparisons in the near future, just need the time.

Quick little something for kicks:
[edited for playlist]

Last edited:
I wouldn’t say that I like it better necessarily.
I may sell the BE100. I’ve only put about an hour into the amp so it’s hard to make a judgment call just yet. I do appreciate how crisp the attack on single notes is.

I have to say, I sold a couple guitars that I wasn’t attached to. They got no traction on marketplace or on Rig talk so I sold them on Sweetwater and they sold pretty damn quick. Just selling those two guitars paid for the plex and the Soldano cabinet I picked up recently on the gift card payment system they came up with.

I would absolutely do it again.

Last edited:
IMG_3296.jpeg

Nice air to the sound, and totally agree about the crisp note attack thing, you can hear from the demos. I dig.

Expensive for me but yeah, this amp sounds great in any clip I hear so far. Zero doubt in my mind that I would enjoy this thing. Sounds really gained out like the best amps of that time would be if you got lucky.

Expensive for me but yeah, this amp sounds great in any clip I hear so far. Zero doubt in my mind that I would enjoy this thing. Sounds really gained out like the best amps of that time would be if you got lucky.
Totally agree. I’m not interested in more gain than this inside of this platform. If I go higher again, I go for my Soldano so this suits me. On my other Friedmans, I never have the gain very high.

I got to play the amp that’s featured in the N Stuff video at a clinic Dave did there. It’s fabulous but if memory serves me right I think I might like the SL67 better. Looking forward to comparison clips from the OP. Congrats on the new amp.

I’ve looked inside my suhr, and it is remarkable how great the build quality is

In all sincerity, the SL 67 is a forever amp for me, it’s impossible to get a bad sound out of it. I have tried! Everything I dial in sounds great on the Suhr.
The SLO is a forever amp as well. I had one in the early 90s and I sold it for a bandsaw when I was building guitars. I told my wife if I ever got a new Soldano I would never sell it and I’m holding True to that. I’ll still have both of those amps when I’m older & grayer (than I already am).

I’ll probably keep the dirty Shirley & the BE50 for a long time. The Plex and the BE 100 is to be determined. I don’t mind having some redundancy in my Marshall flavors, but having the plexi first channel on the 100 and the Plex is kind of silly.

It sounds good in the clips to me initially but with some of them there’s too much chirp and not many guys set it up for a good meaty, medium gain rhythm sound. Kind of “let me set it to ten and play all different styles”. Plus would be nice to see more combination of the two channels and the bright switches in using different guitars and tones.

I'll be waiting until these hit the used market. And I really need to see a shootout between the Plex and several others I own.

There are actually 3 threads about it Corey, so I'm inclined to think that even if I merged all 3, more would still pop up, making ongoing merging a mug's game.

Here're the other two I found:
Dave Friedman Introduces the All-New Friedman PLEX - In-Depth Review
About last night….Friedman clinic, the Plex, the IR-D, and Sammy Boller.
Yikes, well, I’ll drop a video over here again I guess. This is my favorite one so far even though it’s really trebly
I will do more after the weekend possibly including the SL 67

Sounds awesome. That's the sound of rock and roll right there. I decided to skip this amp since I have an EVH-spec'd 1970 Super Lead that @RedPlated did for me. It sounds exactly like this amp, so I'd say Dave nailed it!
Ditto!
It's crazy how much gain was added changing 3 circuit parts for different values, in both of my 72s. Like a dimed 2203/4.

I got to play one today. Pretty good. The MV was pretty impressive. Amp is plenty bright and gainy if you want, even losing the presence control on low MV settings. Low input is good to take the edge of the gain.
I would say if you don’t have a plexi type amp this deserves serious consideration but it didn’t make me rethink the amps I already have that do it.
I like the few tweaks Dave made available (HV/LV, MV, bright switch for V2, Internal jumper with High, Low inputs) without going too far and getting it away from being what it should be.
For Atlanta folks, it was at ATL Discount Music.

I got to play one today. Pretty good. The MV was pretty impressive. Amp is plenty bright and gainy if you want, even losing the presence control on low MV settings. Low input is good to take the edge of the gain.
I would say if you don’t have a plexi type amp this deserves serious consideration but it didn’t make me rethink the amps I already have that do it.
I like the few tweaks Dave made available (HV/LV, MV, bright switch for V2, Internal jumper with High, Low inputs) without going too far and getting it away from being what it should be.
For Atlanta folks, it was at ATL Discount Music.
yeah, i totally agree

barely played this weekend but the bass channel bright switches and rolling it on are cool for clean tones, but REALLY easy to overdo the bright switch on both channels if used to the right of each.

still too early to tell, but i think the sl67 is better for cleaner / zepplin / and the plex is better for VH

I'll do more over the next couple weeks, and hopefully shoot some vids in the process too

Back