Friedman PLEX

yeah, i totally agree

barely played this weekend but the bass channel bright switches and rolling it on are cool for clean tones, but REALLY easy to overdo the bright switch on both channels if used to the right of each.

still too early to tell, but i think the sl67 is better for cleaner / zepplin / and the plex is better for VH

I'll do more over the next couple weeks, and hopefully shoot some vids in the process too
Yeah, I think a less aggressive jump in bright cap value than the 4700 would work better for me. It was a significant jump in gain and volume for CH2 if you had the volume in a lower setting. When I built a 69 kit many moons ago, I landed on 500pf as a perfect value for balance between warmer tones and still fire when I wanted it. If the Plex is turret board or at least has chassis mounted pots (flying leads) they might be easy to change for personal taste. Has anyone seen the guts?
I agree with your general assessment of it being targeted towards VH/80’s hard rock and giving it the beans over say dialing in Bad Company type, medium gain, warmer rhythm tones. Maybe the Suhr is a better Malcolm and the Friedman is a better Angus…lol.

Of course all of the above is from a limited time, playing in a store, not being able to deep dive with guitars, speakers and bigger volume.

Last edited:
Except the master volume and the bright switch, the Plex is a stock Plexi ?

He explained in the video that is a sonic recreation of his '68 50 watt Marshall with some mods; variac, master volume, bright switches and tied inputs.

IMG_6180.png

Gut shot. Not my photo.

Got to jam on one for a minute again while testing out a tweak to my nut! Phone is resting on an amp looking at the floor in the store. Plex volume no higher than 4 on Volume 1. Guitar is a V with Wolfetone Marshallheads. Wanted to post non VH sounds. Let me know if link doesn’t work. First time using Dropbox for a video. Very low on the Master volume.

Plex phone sound not VH Licks

Last edited:
Got to jam on one for a minute again while testing out a tweak to my nut! Phone is resting on an amp looking at the floor in the store. Plex volume no higher than 4 on Volume 1. Guitar is a V with Wolfetone Marshallheads. Wanted to post non VH sounds. Let me know if link doesn’t work. First time using Dropbox for a video. Very low on the Master volume.

Plex phone sound not VH Licks
It works 👍🏻🤘🏻

Corey I see that you have the Plex and the dirty shirley. I was thinking to sell my Twin Sister to buy a Plex. How do you compare both? I mostly play low gain, AC/DC kind of tone.

Anoter question, which one has a better master vlume for really low volume playing? With my TS I can play at home with very good tone.

Corey I see that you have the Plex and the dirty shirley. I was thinking to sell my Twin Sister to buy a Plex. How do you compare both? I mostly play low gain, AC/DC kind of tone.

Anoter question, which one has a better master vlume for really low volume playing? With my TS I can play at home with very good tone.
The Plex is AC/DC. The TS is a great amp but much thicker tone. They both do great at low volume but the Plex sounds better when you reach band volume. If you have a Power Station you golden for really low volumes

The Plex is AC/DC. The TS is a great amp but much thicker tone. They both do great at low volume but the Plex sounds better when you reach band volume. If you have a Power Station you golden for really low volumes
Thank you. Do you have a conclusion yet, if you prefer the Plex or the Suh SL? You own all amps I am interested in :)

The master volume on both amps are usable.

For Van Halen sounds I love the plex more than anything else right now. One thing that’s cool, if you Reamp at all, keep turning the gain down and keep getting more punch and learn from that process as well as playing through it.

If it’s not VH, I have a slight preference for the suhr. It is literally impossible to get a bad sound out of the sl, maybe I should rephrase and say it’s impossible to dial in a sound that doesn’t inspire something.

If I had to rank my amps today, (and this is very personal of course)

#1 SLO especially with the incredibly bitching crunch channel. This is my most likely amp to play live. And I like the cleans / plus it nails wicked sensation of course.
#2 SL67
#3 Plex
Tied for fourth: DS / BE50
6th: BE100, and even at 6th, every time I turn it on. I write a new riff and have a great time.

It’s not the most versatile, but it definitely does not suck. I’m very happy playing in a modded Marshall world.

Back