Cab Switchers

V-man

Seeing a lot of impressive Gen2/3 switcher units in 4x4 and bigger with all sorts of bells and whistles like shareable FX loops etc, but I wonder if they missed the big picture.

Are there any cab switchers that accommodate say, 3-4 amp heads and 3-4 cabs…. of different impedance ratings?

These units are stupid-expensive with the appreciable features, but the ENTIRE point of these units is “pay us an a$$-ton and never reach behind the amps again to enjoy all your amp-cab combos” That entire point is BS when you are charged > 1K and you would still have to manually engage the impedance switch(es) to select between cabs. Moreover the tech is certainly there as shown by the Freyette PS series where you have a switch for the amp impedance setting (1) and a switch for the cab impedance setting (1).

I could be wrong, but I think the PS has that feature because it's really a power amp. The way I belive it works is a switchable load for the incoming amp's power section, and then a separate impedance selector for the PS's power section, which is what is actually amplifying the signal.

NOTE: Set this impedance to match both the speaker and the load Most cabs have a impedance and you usually have a choice of impedance on your amp. Therefore it is best to choose the impedance that will match your speaker cab. This will assure that your and speaker are matched correctly when the Power Station is bypassed.

This is from the Fryette manual

Quality equipment that services a niche market is never cheap, so you're probably not going to find a budget solution that ticks all of your boxes.

Adding the ability to accomodate multiple input and output impedances to a switcher would further increase it's cost, size and weight. Many users don't want or need this functionality, but you can always just grab one of these to use with any switcher: https://www.tedweber.com/z-matcher/

Back