Would you rock this new George Lynch Desert Eagle?

• Thread starter Thread starter napalmdeath
  • Start date Start date
Just got it.
I’m digging it.
Neck is definitely not a thin neck.
Sorta reminds me of my Sunburst Tiger neck.
Fret ends are nicely done.
Fingerboard is super dark chocolate brown; there’s almost no pattern.
The Duncan ‘78 is a hair bright. Not too much though. The neck single coil is actually ok.
Came in a hardshell case.
8.65 pounds.
IMG-5506.jpg
I got mine, I had to do a bunch of work to it.. The fine tuners were a bitch to turn, some even locked up. Had to remove them and lube them to work them in and out to fix it.. The whammy bar clicks and wobbles when tight. That'll need upgraded. One Floyd rose nut mounting screw is either the wrong size or they drilled the hole too big. It moves freely, doesn't tighten down. It looks like it's too small and too short like it's not even the right size. So when I do a big bend, I hear the nut click, and the G, B, and E strings go out of tune. A QC turd. I've got more screws to try to fix that. I'm half-tempted to throw the 1000 Floyd in the trash and put a German one on it. Love the neck, love the pickups, but the Floyd is garbage and the nut needs addressed. Horrible QC and factory blunders. Reached out to possibly just send it back.

I got mine, I had to do a bunch of work to it.. The fine tuners were a bitch to turn, some even locked up. Had to remove them and lube them to work them in and out to fix it.. The whammy bar clicks and wobbles when tight. That'll need upgraded. One Floyd rose nut mounting screw is either the wrong size or they drilled the hole too big. It moves freely, doesn't tighten down. It looks like it's too small and too short like it's not even the right size. So when I do a big bend, I hear the nut click, and the G, B, and E strings go out of tune. A QC turd. I've got more screws to try to fix that. I'm half-tempted to throw the 1000 Floyd in the trash and put a German one on it. Love the neck, love the pickups, but the Floyd is garbage and the nut needs addressed. Horrible QC and factory blunders. Reached out to possibly just send it back.
Damn man - sorry to hear about those QA blunders, that sucks. I've been sitting here waiting for your review hoping it was awesome, so I could pull the trigger myself.

The Edwards has my attention. I love the way the original colors pop and I know the quality. Resale may not be on par and that is the only hesitation. Also takes a certain type of buyer for these. The instrument looks good though. ( Not so much the playing in this clip, just looking at the guitar). Downside is truss rod is apparently not accessible without taking the neck off which sucks in Canadian climate where my guitars seasonally need adjustment.

Yeah - I saw these Edwards too and thought the same.

This video might be a better representation of the guitar.

The Edwards seems really solid - I can never keep up on their latest business model (are they cut in China, assembled in Japan, or now all made in Japan?), but if the quality is there, it seems like a pretty good deal (in the current market - not 10 years ago when you could get a used ESP Kami for the same money). I think they must be quality, as it's for the domestic Japanese market and they have high standards.

I also like that the spec is 100% spot on - i.e. maple body, etc. In reality it doesn't matter, but it let's me create the excuse that I need a solid maple guitar (shit, I have a Cantrell Rampage - ok, ok, solid hard rock maple then).

Agree with you on trussrod - PITA, but the ESP Kami is the same isn't it? I wonder if any Japanese sellers are friendly on 'lowering the value for customs'.

ouch, not a glowing endorsement for what is a 2,000$+ guitar here in Canada. Imagine that, like 2300 CAD for an LTD.

The Edwards seems really solid - I can never keep up on their latest business model (are they cut in China, assembled in Japan, or now all made in Japan?), but if the quality is there, it seems like a pretty good deal (in the current market - not 10 years ago when you could get a used ESP Kami for the same money). I think they must be quality, as it's for the domestic Japanese market and they have high standards.

I also like that the spec is 100% spot on - i.e. maple body, etc. In reality it doesn't matter, but it let's me create the excuse that I need a solid maple guitar (shit, I have a Cantrell Rampage - ok, ok, solid hard rock maple then).

Agree with you on trussrod - PITA, but the ESP Kami is the same isn't it? I wonder if any Japanese sellers are friendly on 'lowering the value for customs'.

I think in the end, 40 years later. George realized or was told that his Tiger isn't maple at all. It is another hardwood. So take that into consideration but yes, Edwards pays attention to detail regardless of where they are built. My Schenker has zero faults. My white LP, well I am probably the 3rd owner and it is 20+ years old so there is a minor buzz on high E but the neck is so damn smooth it's unbelievable to get my Randy Rhoads on. So smooth. I think the downfall of the Edwards is the truss rod not being accessible. What the hell is up with that?

I think in the end, 40 years later. George realized or was told that his Tiger isn't maple at all. It is another hardwood. So take that into consideration but yes, Edwards pays attention to detail regardless of where they are built. My Schenker has zero faults. My white LP, well I am probably the 3rd owner and it is 20+ years old so there is a minor buzz on high E but the neck is so damn smooth it's unbelievable to get my Randy Rhoads on. So smooth. I think the downfall of the Edwards is the truss rod not being accessible. What the hell is up with that?

They won't lower the value but they will pack the thing extremely well and the shipping will be seemless. The Japanese are nothing but PRO when it comes to guitars. It is almost like they revere the damn things. They love their rock n roll and if they are in the business, they probably play. They treat these guitars like an old samurai katana :D The last 90's Fender YJM ( pre sig model) i bought out of Japan can well packaged and with a paper origami crane with a personalized note. " Harro american investor!" Simpsons style. I love the Japanese.

They won't lower the value but they will pack the thing extremely well and the shipping will be seemless. The Japanese are nothing but PRO when it comes to guitars. It is almost like they revere the damn things. They love their rock n roll and if they are in the business, they probably play. They treat these guitars like an old samurai katana :D The last 90's Fender YJM ( pre sig model) i bought out of Japan can well packaged and with a paper origami crane with a personalized note. " Harro american investor!" Simpsons style. I love the Japanese.
dammit man, you're making want to pay customs fees now....the samurai katana analogy....and an origami crane with a handwritten note, that's gotta be worth something...a good laugh at a minimum.

Thats F-ing shitty. Gotta be made in China at some point cuz Japan luthiers would not do that shit.
Put a toothpick in the hole and snip it flush then screw in the screw.

In all honesty more like MIC > distributed from Japan.

Thats F-ing shitty. Gotta be made in China at some point cuz Japan luthiers would not do that shit.
Put a toothpick in the hole and snip it flush then screw in the screw.
Yeah, I did the toothpick trick last night, and it did the trick. Still pisses me off. These are made in Korea, and the usually do much better at World Music. As for the Floyd, can't really fault them, the 1000 series Floyds either work well, or you get a real quirky turd. Never had one that the fine tuners wouldn't turn AT ALL, as was the case on atleast 2, 2 only went half way and locked up, one is super loose and wobbly. It'll fall right out loosened all the way, which should be that easy. Piece of shit bridge. Bad threading, poorly made fine tuners. I've had many 1000's, and this one by far had the most shortcomings for brand new.

This is why I prefer Gotoh or their Edge Trems on the Ibanez Prestige. They're far superior in every way.

Yeah, I did the toothpick trick last night, and it did the trick. Still pisses me off. These are made in Korea, and the usually do much better at World Music. As for the Floyd, can't really fault them, the 1000 series Floyds either work well, or you get a real quirky turd. Never had one that the fine tuners wouldn't turn AT ALL, as was the case on atleast 2, 2 only went half way and locked up, one is super loose and wobbly. It'll fall right out loosened all the way, which should be that easy. Piece of shit bridge. Bad threading, poorly made fine tuners. I've had many 1000's, and this one by far had the most shortcomings for brand new.

This is why I prefer Gotoh or their Edge Trems on the Ibanez Prestige. They're far superior in every way.

Sounds like you got a crappy one. That sucks.

You were worried about the graphics and finish. How do you like it in person?

Makes me wonder if your discount and deal was because somebody already returned it once...

Sounds like you got a crappy one. That sucks.

You were worried about the graphics and finish. How do you like it in person?
It's cool. Like I said a few posts back, neck and pickups are both fantastic. Sounds amazing through the Engl Fireball. Tight, punchy, and the '78 screams. I definitely like that pickup, wouldn't change it. Putting some SS fine tuners on, the nut problem is solved, though I got some better screws coming today for good measure. May change the bar to a push-in, and keep it. Who knows...

What’s the difference between this model and the crazy priced 7k version of these Lynch models?

What’s the difference between this model and the crazy priced 7k version of these Lynch models?
Kami has hunter/distortion bridge pickup (duncan 78 on ltd), proper Floyd (1000 on ltd), maple body (alder on ltd), nickel steel frets (ltd =ss), african ebony board (vs macassar on ltd). Colors are slightly different on ltd (more tan than red and and yellow). Native American theme on ltf vs Kamikaze kanji letters and bombs etc. I think that's about it but could be missing something.

Hopefully there would not be as many build "blunders" and QC issues as listed above, but I believe that the ESP versions are of similar construction to the Kami's, just with a different paint scheme. Not positive about that, though.

The paint schemes between ESP and LTD models seem to have apparent differences in color, and components / construction.

Attachments

• LTD Desert Eagle.jpeg
    LTD Desert Eagle.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
  • ESP Desert Eagle.jpg
    ESP Desert Eagle.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 29

I'm usually a promoter of World Music, but I've had a couple duds myself lately. I think they've over extended themselves in the last year with taking on too many contracts (lots of brands bouncing back and forth between them and Cort for production) and not putting enough time in on qc/fit and finish because of it.

Hopefully there would not be as many build "blunders" and QC issues as listed above, but I believe that the ESP versions are of similar construction to the Kami's, just with a different paint scheme. Not positive about that, though.

The paint schemes between ESP and LTD models seem to have apparent differences in color, and components / construction.
Other than the spec differences, I wonder if the build/quality differences are that much better to justify the pricing

Back