Redback and V30 comparison

Are these meant to sound similar? I'd never have thought to compare them.

I'd use a redback for the low end and a V30 for the highs.

Are these meant to sound similar? I'd never have thought to compare them.

I'd use a redback for the low end and a V30 for the highs.
No, I don't believe they are meant to sound particularly similar. I just like to have a referemce tone in my videos that most people will know because most peoples hearing (mine included) is very relative.
I find most gear will sound good in a given demo but once you have it at home, it might be a different story which is why I always have a Vintage 30 in my speaker videos as a reference. When I do amp videos, I often include one or two other amps for the same reason. I do quick shootout sections vs a 5150 or a Marshall for example just so viewers get a rough feel where to place the amp sonically if you know what I mean

I think the redback is a great speaker. Obviously the v30 cuts like crazy. These would probably mix well

I think the redback is a great speaker. Obviously the v30 cuts like crazy. These would probably mix well
I thought they mixed badly. The redback is thick and low mid thr v30 is not... and hen you try to balance for best of both speakers it overlaps and fucks with the sound. Dialing in a great redback sound doesn't sound great with v30. And vise versa. This is my own experience obviously.

I haven't tried my Redbacks mixed with V30's, but have compared them separately and had results similar-ish to this video. IME they mixed pretty well with my 20w Greenbacks, ok with Gold's and outstanding (one of the best mixes I've had) with both JBL D120F's and E120's. Didn't love them with Altec 417C's (too dark)

Redbacks are one of the few non-vintage speakers I've liked. They can get a bit flubby with very low mid heavy amps like my Uberschall, but in general I really like them. They sound imo particularly good with my Hermansson's and SLO

I think red backs are great on their own after using them through 6 or so great amps this weekend. Fane f70s also badass

I haven't tried my Redbacks mixed with V30's, but have compared them separately and had results similar-ish to this video. IME they mixed pretty well with my 20w Greenbacks, ok with Gold's and outstanding (one of the best mixes I've had) with both JBL D120F's and E120's. Didn't love them with Altec 417C's (too dark)

Redbacks are one of the few non-vintage speakers I've liked. They can get a bit flubby with very low mid heavy amps like my Uberschall, but in general I really like them. They sound imo particularly good with my Hermansson's and SLO

With the herb3 I do detect some of that low mid happening in redback, its like lo-lo mid to my ear. The fane f70s under them seem to offset it a little bit. But even the fanes, sometimes, seems like they lose just a tad bit of clarity in the lows also. Not as much as v30 by any means. But a tiny bit when you listen to it right in front, you can hear a little bit of that creeping in. It's also interesting, the fanes project more perceived volume standing in front of each speaker. The redback has less broad mid content than the fanes.

With the herb3 I do detect some of that low mid happening in redback, its like lo-lo mid to my ear. The fane f70s under them seem to offset it a little bit. But even the fanes, sometimes, seems like they lose just a tad bit of clarity in the lows also. Not as much as v30 by any means. But a tiny bit when you listen to it right in front, you can hear a little bit of that creeping in. It's also interesting, the fanes project more perceived volume standing in front of each speaker. The redback has less broad mid content than the fanes.
Fanes in general I find sound a bit more open and wider/bigger than Celestions, but have a smoother/neutral midrange quality like the Hiwatt amps. I haven’t tried F70’s, but had F90’s and still have Crescendo’s. I think those ones also came off louder iirc than a lot of other speakers I have

I recorded alot of my upcoming CD with the Redback /v30 mix. The redback is very scooped in the midrange but has good lows and highs. V30 has no lows or highs so they mix well.

Does anyone know why Celestion uses the four mounting-hole baskets on some models and eight on other models?

Back