Thoughts on the Synergy Syn50?

mctallica1

Hey guys.

Hope all is well!

I have been thinking of getting back into modular stuff and am interested in the Syn50 as the platform due to its “sensing” technology, which supposedly adjusts the power section to better suit each module.

I have a shit ton of experience with the Randall and Egnater modules....and most of the modded variations, so don’t need educated on the basics....just interested in the Syn50 in particular, as the power platform.

When I was into the modular stuff before, my favorite power platform was the Egnater MOD, followed by the Randall RM4 when using the rack system.

So any experience with the Syn50 you can share is appreciated!

FWIW, I’m just playing in Madison Square Basement these days, but still like a good power section. Typically prefer 50 or 100 watt heads over their lower powered siblings. Main amp is still my Henning Cherry Bomb, just starting to get the itch for something else to mess with and always liked the modular stuff. Particularly the modded versions.

Thanks!
T

To my knowledge nothing happens in the power section. It´s probably a misunderstanding coming from the talk of cathode bias, which in this case refers to the input stage and not the output tubes. Basically if the first stage is Fender-, Marshall- or Soldano-style.

Correct the input stage is "in the amp", not the module. The three-position switch on the module tells the amp which cathode resistor/bypass capacitor to use. It does make a difference, I added a manual switch to do this to an RM100. Stock Egnater/Randall products use the traditional Fender input. As a rock player it's generally my least favorite, but certainly not bad and a reasonable compromise. The Synergy approach brings the whole preamp closer to the original designs.

Some people think that the powersection at for the synergy rack poweramp is the „weak“ part in the system. Don’t know, if that’s the case with the heads or if it’s true at all.
You could always pair the syn2 with the poweramp of choice

Some people think that the powersection at for the synergy rack poweramp is the „weak“ part in the system. Don’t know, if that’s the case with the heads or if it’s true at all.
You could always pair the syn2 with the poweramp of choice
FWIW, I have a lot of experience with the Syn stuff and I'd say it's certainly not the 'weak' part, but it is TOTALLY a matter of taste... and since the power section is going to flavor every single module, if you don't agree with it; that will definitely have you fighting your rig rather than enjoying it.

Since they only have like two heads and one power amp, a lot of folks are likely to have something else they prefer.

So settling on something you like is important. I'd say get something you are either fairly certain of as a known quantity or otherwise can easily return or flip for something else without too much cost; while you are building your rig. Then you can make sure you have something you like driving the back end of your rig.

I actually do have the 30W 6L6 head and love it... I'm sure I personally would love the 50W head even more. I also have a rack Syn2 that I have used with like seven or eight other power amps, if you count tube head FX returns... I've been able to get inspiring sounds from many different power sections and mixing and matching is loads of fun. I tend to be able to coax something cool with most of them.

I think people who are willing to experiment will likely feel the same; I generally do not care if the module is a match for any specific amp and have not spent much time A/Bing them in spite of having access to some of the amps the modules are named after. I just want a good variety of inspiring tones and for that it has been great.

I think the Syn power sections are consciously designed as a base for the modules and as such are flexible and balanced but that may translate as "just right" for some but boring/flat/uninspiring for others; in which case, you may want something with a much more pronounced flavor or a specific feel, etc, which is kind of the point to a mix and match system.

NOTE: Folks saying there's nothing special going on in the power sections to adjust for the modules are 100% correct, though. You are not missing out on some feature by using a non-synergy branded power section.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input folks. I am very aware of the many different ways to power the system, but am hoping to get some feedback on the Syn50 specifically. I liked the Egnater MOD50 for this purpose, so I’m interested in the Syn50, as I like the head configuration more than running through another amps power section or going rack.

If all else fails, I may just order one that I can return if I don’t care for it, but thought I’d check to see what experience people have had with it,

Thanks!
T

I had a Syn50 at one point, it was ok. I preferred Syn1 + the FX return of most any 100w head. Even better paired with my 2150. The Synergy platform is such a deep rabbit hole. Good news it all sounds killer, but I always give the nod to my tube amps if I have to choose.

Back