YJM Scalloped Necks

• Thread starter Thread starter journeyman73
  • Start date Start date
J
journeyman73
I’ve never had a guitar with scalloped neck but am intrigued by it…

Is it the sort of thing where you have to go all in (ie only play scalloped guitars) because of differences in touch, feel, technique that is required?

Or do you guys have no problem bouncing between scalloped and non-scalloped necks?

I can bounce back and forth no problem. Once you learn how to play with a light touch, it's not all that hard to go between the two. You'll probably miss the ease of bending and vibrato when you go back to a normal non-scalloped neck, but moving around a non-scalloped neck feels less "speed bumpy", if that makes sense?

moving around a non-scalloped neck feels less "speed bumpy", if that makes sense?
So like the difference between tall and short frets? E.g., my friend hates playing my schecter Reaper because of the tall frets. I said they're extra jumbo, he said they're extra stupid.

You run the risk of only wanting to play your scalloped guitar (i.e., you’re all in). I can play both but all my own guitars are scalloped because I love the feel and the way it relaxes my hand. Not a shredder, or at least not a competent one, but I hate feeling the fretboard. You can squeeze a scalloped neck and play hard and it won’t go out of tune as long as you fret near the fret. Playing scalloped-only is a great antidote to guitar GAS!

You run the risk of only wanting to play your scalloped guitar (i.e., you’re all in). I can play both but all my own guitars are scalloped because I love the feel and the way it relaxes my hand. Not a shredder, or at least not a competent one, but I hate feeling the fretboard. You can squeeze a scalloped neck and play hard and it won’t go out of tune as long as you fret near the fret. Playing scalloped-only is a great antidote to guitar GAS!

Haha, yeah - my first thought was ‘shit, aren’t a lot of scalloped les pauls out there…’

I owned quite a few Yngwie Strats thru the years.
It takes a while before going back and forth between a scalloped and regular neck doesn't feel strange. Going between a Strat and a Les Paul can seem weird at first but you get used to it after a while.

Yeah, it's like tall Vs short frets. If you're used to playing on 6100 or 6000 size frets, a scalloped board won't take too long to get used to. But it'll feel strange if you're used to something like a 6150 or lower, and you might have trouble going back and forth because it'll be so much harder/different to grip strings with low frets.

I totally agree with all these posts. I've got a pair of guitars with scalloped necks. The rest of my arsenal all have 6100 frets. I do play with a lighter touch, and I gotta' say, I rarely ever 'feel' the fretboard on my non-scalloped guitars - especially at or about about the 5th fret. So for me, bouncing back and forth is pretty seamless.

I’ve never had a guitar with scalloped neck but am intrigued by it…

Is it the sort of thing where you have to go all in (ie only play scalloped guitars) because of differences in touch, feel, technique that is required?

Or do you guys have no problem bouncing between scalloped and non-scalloped necks?
Grab one of the AliExpress scalloped necks real cheap and try it out on a beater guitar body. That's how I tried it out at first.

Same for me.. took a bit of getting used to for sure and it isn't as easy/smooth to play on as something with super low action but the vibrato is fantastic and you learn quickly not to press down too hard. Also, playing Yngwie riffs on a scalloped neck strat just feels right. You instantly go Yngwie.

I only tried one briefly.. guess I have a heavy left hand, as I had trouble with things sounding out of tune. YMMV

I only tried one briefly.. guess I have a heavy left hand, as I had trouble with things sounding out of tune. YMMV
Yeah I had this too the first few times... it helps to loosen up which is YJM's secret. He's relaxed on his picking hand too...just digs in for vibrato

I picked up a YJM strat about a week ago. Oh man are scalloped boards a trip. And after playing this thing non stop since then, I think I’ve figured out scalloped fretboards, at least a little bit. It was not easy to play at first. The strings felt like they were cutting into my fingers, and I didn’t realize how much the fretboard on other guitars acted as an anchor point. The whole thing felt alien at first.

After not too much time though, I started to get it. And it turns out I really like the guitar, but for different reasons than I thought I originally thought I would.

The first big thing I'd like to address is what I believe to be the biggest misconception about what people think scalloped boards do. The most common thing I’ve heard people say about scalloped boards is that they think it makes you play faster. The answer to that is "kind of, but not in the way you're thinking." When you hear that scalloped boards make you play faster, the intuitive thing to think is that a scalloped board must make you immediately “play faster“ like in the same way a trampoline makes you immediately “jump higher,” like maybe the extra deep cutaway wood puts less drag on your fingers or something, or maybe your fingers maybe bounce off the strings in a way they don't on normal guitars, etc. That’s not the way it works.

Scalloped boards don’t directly make you play faster, they teach you to play faster.

They teach you to play faster through negative reinforcement. If you play inefficiently (too much finger pressure), the strings dig into your fingers which isn’t fun and the notes go sharp so it sounds terrible, so you quickly learn to use only as much pressure as necessary to fret the note and no more. This subsequently means the act of moving to the next note doesn’t take as much effort either, because you don’t have to release as much pressure to move off the that first note, so you’re able move to the next note faster, etc.

Negative reinforcement aside though, the ability to really get under the strings and get wild with bending is really fun by itself.

And as far as the YJM strat goes, scalloped board aside, the pickups are probably the best high gain strat pickups I’ve heard. They’re loud and they have a ton of mids so they translate to distortion really well, but they still have a super clear, stringy quality to them that is 100% strat all day long. My main, homebase kind of sound is more of a standard bridge humbucker into tight distortion, but this is an excellent alternative flavor I think.

After playing this thing for about a week, I'm starting to think the Fender YJM strat is kind of the platonic ideal of the SSS high gain strat. I really like it.

s4vpekD.png

Last edited:
After buying a new YJM Strat couple of years ago all my other guitars have been collecting dust. The control one gets for the strings is incredible. My playing touch is, most of the time, relaxed and light so pushing the notes sharp was never a problem for me.

l love scalloped frets, it took very little effort to get used to the YJM strat I had and the PUs are phenomenal.
My issue with the YJM was the neck profile in combination with the nut width- which one might find uncomfortable with any guitar bc of preference - not the frets

l love scalloped frets, it took very little effort to get used to the YJM strat I had and the PUs are phenomenal.
My issue with the YJM was the neck profile in combination with the nut width- which one might find uncomfortable with any guitar bc of preference - not the frets
Can you go in depth about this? I’m considering a custom shop YJM, so this is very relevant!

Back