Slash!!!

Interesting.. that Snakepit album was good. Big sounding and greasy rock. I've always felt Axl is more of a melodic/ epic song writer. Those Illusion albums have his preferences all over them, some cool stuff but not for every song. I felt UYI 1 and 2 were big let downs after Appetite and that might also have been because Steven and no Izzy weren't there as well.
Izzy has writing credits all over the UYI albums and sings lead vocals on two tracks. He was still in the band when they started the UYI tour which was before the albums were released . By the time the albums were released in September ‘91 he had left the band

Slash is a great 70s inspired type classic rock guitar player. Mt Rushmore? Not for me. His best playing was on Appetite for me. I lost interest after that record. Illusion albums were far too bloated for me and grandiose. I felt like they lost their way and got too far away from what they were great at.
I think a lot of that was Axl’s doing . When AFD was peaking in summer of ‘88 Axl was already saying in interviews he wanted to bury AFD. I think if Slash had more say the UYI albums would’ve had more of the hard rock gut of AFD . Songs like Garden Of Eden and Locomotive are some blazing rockers but the effects that were added kinda take away that raw edge

He's synonymous with cool, and his phrasing and note choice is great.

but

His tone is really bad. It's just so thin and shrill. That knocks him out of the running for truly great players for me.

I dunno how good he is at song or riff writing, but he really is one of the best lead players IMHO.

Back