I know y’all are tired for my NGD Japan Edition, but this one is NICE

• Thread starter Thread starter scottosan
  • Start date Start date
scottosan
scottosan
For all of you that follow Japanese guitars, you know the deal. Those that don’t know the deal, Navigator is ESPs line for vintage spec guitars. It’s their top tier label and no corners are cut on their highest offering. I haven’t owned a custom shop Gibson since before my 13 year old was born. I owned an R7, (3) R8s, and an R9. I did the dumb and responsible thing as sold all of my gear at that time. I have been wanting a Japanese LP custom since I got here but limited to some beat up mid tier Greco and Tokai.

So, I take the kids out to our favorite 2nd hand mega store that carries everything and happens to carry guitars. I saw this guitar last week, but it was up in a raised glass case and expensive. Today they were have a “Hyper Sale”. I first look at a Les Paul standard for $1300 and I would have bought it had I not looked at the Navigator. It was marked at ¥297000 after tax which is about $1880. These Navigator customs come is 3 levels 280, 380, and 480 being the top tier at a whopping ¥748000 which is about $4757. This one is the 480.

https://espguitars.co.jp/product/5854/

Specs are as follow:

BODY(Top) Hard Maple(Back) Honduras Mahogany w/Laminate Binding
(Thickness 60mm)
NECKHonduras Mahogany
GRIP SHAPEThick U
FINGERBOARDEbony w/White Binding
RADIUS305R
SCALE624mm
NUTUnbleached Bone (43mm)
FRETJESCAR FW47104-NS, 22frets
INLAYPearl Block
CONSTRUCTIONSet-neck (deep joint) Long tenon
TUNERGOTOH SG301-04
PICKUPS(Neck) Seymour Duncan Seth Lover SH-55n
(Bridge) Seymour Duncan Seth Lover SH-55b
CONTROLSNeck Volume & Tone, Bridge Volume & Tone, Toggle PU Selector
BRIDGEVintage type TUNE-MATIC & GOTOH GE101A
FINISHNitro Lacquer

The nitro is very thin. I am certain it’s flamed maple underneath, as I can see the fine wavy ripples under the paint in just the right angle.

The guitar is in excellent condition. I’m the pictures you can see the plastic film on the truss cover and rear cavities. There’s a little oxidation on the gold, but zero fret wear. It’s me first time trying the Seth lovers, and I like them better than the Wizz or Tom Holmes PAFs that I’ve tried. Very warm and musical and hold up under high gain pretty good for an unpotted pickup.
IMG_5426.jpeg
IMG_5430.jpeg
IMG_5428.jpeg
IMG_5429.jpeg
IMG_5431.jpeg

Very nice Custom you’ve got there.

Congrats & Enjoy !!!!!!!

Interesting the big difference in price between the Japanese ESP site and the one for western countries. I was checking out an e-ii viper and it was 16-1800 after conversion, depending on whether you pay tax or not and it’s 2599 on the English ESP site.

Last edited:
As a big Japanese guitar fan I gotta say I'm a little jealous you can now waltz down the street and choose from a selection of some of the world's most awesome guitars without having to deal with dang overseas shipping on single insturments. As an LP fan you basically bought the LP I would buy if I was shopping for an LP and price wasn't a big concern. Alas Edwards is more in my price range and I have a couple nice ones my favorite being my E-SA. BIG CONGRATS on your purchase, enjoy it in good health, giving thanks for the chance to acquire and play such a beautiful instrument. ! The weight is perfect IMO. Around 9lbs is where I like!!! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

I love vintage Japanese guitars! I have an early 80's Van Halen stripes, vintage trem Tokai and I also have this 1980 Tokai LS-80. I find that the paint color and sunburst pattern on some of the vintage Japanese Les Paul's is sometimes not quite right for my taste (that's actually true of a lot of Gibson's too though) but when I saw this one I had to buy it immediately. Congrats on yours!
Tokai 1.jpg

Interesting the big difference in price between the Japanese ESP site and the one for western countries. I was checking out an e-ii viper and it was 16-1800 after conversion, depending on whether you pay tax or not and it’s 2599 on the English ESP site.
Yeah, good shout. Maybe it's due to taxes and fees to distributors etc. I live in Europe and taxes can be high (i.e pain jn the ass). For US made gear it's always at least 30% more (currency adjusted) for me to buy it in Europe. Sales Tax at 23%...custom fees and other small % add up. It's a ball ache :)

Death. Taxes. Guitar Gear. At least one of them is fun.

@scottosan ...huge congrats on the awesome score man! Would still be a great guitar at twice the price. My buddy has a few Navigators...amazing guitars, I love everything about them. It's like you bought a 30 day aged rib eye for hamburger money (i'm not gonna try to attempt Japanese Kobe beef analogies). Enjoy!

@scottosan, since your in japan... have you tried the japanese made Bizen LP yet? Ya should serious check that out !

@scottosan, since your in japan... have you tried the japanese made Bizen LP yet? Ya should serious check that out !
I haven seen any, but know they’re $$$ based on digimart prices. I have been eying some interesting offering from Crews Maniac.

Back