Looking for a light weight guitar

• Thread starter Thread starter alan67
  • Start date Start date
blackba":2ia9rsfq said:
SoooRad":2ia9rsfq said:
An SG is the only option here that isn't a gimmick.

Mine have also never had neckdive, but even if you happened to get one that did, its very easy to remedy.

So what's the remedy if it does have neck dive. I sold my Tony Iommi SG due to excessive neck dive. Tried weights to counter balance, didn't help much. Tried different straps. I didn't move the strap button. Shame as it was a nice guitar.

For me I went with a Gibson ES-339 for my light weight guitar, comes in at 7.3lbs, but of course doesn't have the punch of a solid body guitar.

Simply buy one you are able to play. That's why I won't buy an SG unplayed.

blackba":2cwz9yoe said:
SoooRad":2cwz9yoe said:
An SG is the only option here that isn't a gimmick.

Mine have also never had neckdive, but even if you happened to get one that did, its very easy to remedy.

So what's the remedy if it does have neck dive. I sold my Tony Iommi SG due to excessive neck dive. Tried weights to counter balance, didn't help much. Tried different straps. I didn't move the strap button. Shame as it was a nice guitar.

For me I went with a Gibson ES-339 for my light weight guitar, comes in at 7.3lbs, but of course doesn't have the punch of a solid body guitar.

What makes one neck dive vs. another one that doesn't? Tuners? Weight of the mahogany used for the neck?

Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top (which happens to be my #1) or Hollow Cobra/Cobra S.
Most Ibanez S models
Carvin/Kiesel Vader

I have played a few light Ibanez S-Series and some heavier ones. I don't know remember what year/models were heavier or lighter or if it varies from guitar to guitar.

FWIW I didn't find an S-Series comfortable in my hands, but that's personal preference.

swamptrashstompboxes":1x127jnd said:
I have played a few light Ibanez S-Series and some heavier ones. I don't know remember what year/models were heavier or lighter or if it varies from guitar to guitar.

FWIW I didn't find an S-Series comfortable in my hands, but that's personal preference.

Varies from guitar to guitar, the last one I had sounded the best but, was 8 lb 2 oz which is heavy for an S. Most weight in the low 7 lb range though.

Yamaha made some lightweight guitars (RGXA2) about 10 years ago but I don’t think they sounded as good as guitars that weren’t built with weight reduction as a main priority.

Tom Anderson Hollow Drop Top (which happens to be my #1) or Hollow Cobra/Cobra S.
Most Ibanez S models
Carvin/Kiesel Vader
What do you want to spend?
Tom Andersons can be had at 7 pounds. The Skervesen's I had were all pretty light and very balanced. A balanced axe help you as much or more than just the weight. The Raptors were like 6.5 pounds with balance.

Wow... I was looking around and indeed some of those Tom Andersons get impressively light!

Examples:
Anderson2.jpg

Anderson1.jpg

May I ask, do you find there to be any negative to getting a chambered guitar? Wasn't sure if it'd affect the thickness of palm-muting chugs for example. I was watching a couple of the Warmoth youtube videos they have on chambering and it doesn't seem to have any significant negative downsides.

Gibson SG or Gibson "The Paul". I'm starting to really love my Gibson "The Paul" even though the walnut took a while to get used to sound wise.

Lightest guitar I own is an OD Guitars Venus 6. All that wood they remove from the body makes it light. It's also made of black limba, so that might be a factor as well.

Back