4x12 wiring options.

Ok, I'll weigh in here. Series/parallel has a little more bass, more vintage feel, perhaps a little bluesier/relaxed. Parallel/series is a little more modern sounding, mids are subtly enhanced, better for more immediate feel. Keep in mind, these are SUBTLE changes, and you may not notice a difference.

About a dozen years ago I went through this with George Lynch, Dave Friedman and Roy Blankenship. Depending on your music/playing style, you would choose the one that makes more sense to your tone.

Only the individual player can make that determination, of course. YMMV, My .02, yada yada.
Does 16 vs. 8 ohm speakers impact your wiring preference?

Does 16 vs. 8 ohm speakers impact your wiring preference?
I like this question, though it opens up a can of worms for me. I am switching from 8 ohm to 16 ohm. It would be very simple for me to install a switch and two pieces of wire when installing...

I can say 100% I had them on a switch. And after a minute of playing... I'd forget which one it was on after being really sure about it in my mind and "hearing a difference"... if you have someone else do the switch, and they can phantom it, and you will 100% be like "dude it sounds a little less harsh" and they will say "yeah I didnt flip the switch that time" ....

That's definitely what happens in these situations I've confirmed it's just how we process & adapt to frequency. The only way to prove it to yourself is to put it on switch, have a friend choose when to flip it without telling you which is which and do it a few times in random order. You'll see.
Yeah, blind tests make a huge difference. It really does seem to change your perception of things when you can't see them anymore.

About a dozen years ago I went through this with George Lynch, Dave Friedman and Roy Blankenship. Depending on your music/playing style, you would choose the one that makes more sense to your tone.
Out of question, did you guys do (double) blind tests when you were trying it out? Not trying to pick a fight, just working out whether to mentally categorize this anecdote as "Respected community members can hear a difference in a blind test" or "Respected community members can hear a difference in a non-blind test" as that changes how much weight I assign it.

I'm seeing some people in here who also probably think the 16 ohm speakers is noticeable brighter than an 8 ohm... knowing damn well a human ear can't perceive the frequencies even in question.... then they logic their way through "conductance and transformer windings" bullshit...which is true but it doesn't prove you can hear a shift. It means you have information supporting your already biased believe.

Also scumback speakers are great.
But if you're playing heavy music through a 4x12 until you post up a blind ab test and see yourself get tricked, you're just blabbering because you want to believe you have a little secret sauce in speakers wiring.

Again, you rarely will play the same thing exactly the same especially depending in the amp... Ice recorded the same shit, back to back, and had slightly more attack, or less, because my amp is giving me that feedback exactly back.

Of course if I'm sitting here hearing that slight nuance, and happen to also be switching speaker wiring, I'm going to lie to myself and say yep it's the wiring.

Nope. Its you 👌

Pink noise generator and digital analyst would be a lot more accurate than a blind test.
Sure, but then you'd also need to quantify your own personal hearing frequency response as well to get an idea of what you'll be able to hear, not to mention preference. Though agreed, if you want to experimentally quantify it, noise + analyzer is gonna be better.

I’m interested in the subjective experience of playing, not the objective science of measuring a cabinet’s sound with non human machines. What’s the advantage?

Most will be satisfied with “Rock/Metal” for a S/P-P/S switch.

If you want to do the science, go for it.

Mucking up the thread with rude, derogatory arrogance contributes nothing but poison to this online environment, and is ignorable.

The tonal difference between 8 and 16 ohm is subjective. That mostly depends on the the OT, circuit, etc. Remember, speakers reproduce the signal they are fed, so the amp, OT, tubes, etc etc all come into play.

I'm seeing some people in here who also probably think the 16 ohm speakers is noticeable brighter than an 8 ohm... knowing damn well a human ear can't perceive the frequencies even in question.... then they logic their way through "conductance and transformer windings" bullshit...which is true but it doesn't prove you can hear a shift. It means you have information supporting your already biased believe.

Also scumback speakers are great.
But if you're playing heavy music through a 4x12 until you post up a blind ab test and see yourself get tricked, you're just blabbering because you want to believe you have a little secret sauce in speakers wiring.

Again, you rarely will play the same thing exactly the same especially depending in the amp... Ice recorded the same shit, back to back, and had slightly more attack, or less, because my amp is giving me that feedback exactly back.

Of course if I'm sitting here hearing that slight nuance, and happen to also be switching speaker wiring, I'm going to lie to myself and say yep it's the wiring.

Nope. Its you 👌
I love it when people, who cant' hear things I can, try to turn it back onto me and tell me I'm wrong. :ROFLMAO:

The internet is filled with subjective views that have little to do with reality.

The ear and mind just are too effected by bias.

I tried both ways and had no conclusions. Too many variables.
There are far too many variables, but the switch would take away a lot of them, and just leave perception. That is pretty good. Then you could do a clip of both, and we could listen for a difference.
The clip may nail the riff better on one or the other, but it would be worth doing for fun

Too be honest I doubt there is any difference.

The speaker only reproduces what is put in to it. There shouldn't be any thing different going into the speaker.
But I could be missing something.

Too be honest I doubt there is any difference.

The speaker only reproduces what is put in to it. There shouldn't be any thing different going into the speaker.
But I could be missing something.
I agree and think any difference that there is would be imperceptible to me. But i am just speculating

IME/IMO, your ears become quickly too fatigued to hear the difference. If you keep going back and forth you’ll probably just get worse and worse at hearing a difference. Do it in the morning (that’s what she said) and only for short intervals.

There shouldn't be any thing different going into the speaker.
This is the main question I think: can wiring change what goes into a speaker/how it interacts with an amp? In a 2x12, series vs parallel wiring will change what goes into each speaker/how each speaker interacts with the amp, particularly if you're mixing speakers. I have not looked into S/P or P/S for a 4x12 though.

Last edited:
Seems a lot of people are missing the “feel” change. When I make a change to an amp or gear, I listen for a change but I also look for a feel change. I don’t just simply strum a cord, I play the guitar and see if my guitar reacts differently in my hands.

This is why I absolutely love the JHS switchback pedal. I can test two different pedals with an immediate change… so my ears and playing can hear and feel the change. The way to do the cabinet change is to wire it up with a switch or have someone toggle the switch in real time as to allow your ears and playing to instantly focus on a change. No way can you stop playing, walk over to the cab, flick a switch, walk back and have your body in the EXACT position beforehand to hear the effect of the change. This is why I tend to sit directly in front of a speaker cab when modding or tinkering, use a Brown Box for voltage checks, etc. I’m taking away any variable’s as much as possible.

Seems a lot of people are missing the “feel” change. When I make a change to an amp or gear, I listen for a change but I also look for a feel change. I don’t just simply strum a cord, I play the guitar and see if my guitar reacts differently in my hands.

This is why I absolutely love the JHS switchback pedal. I can test two different pedals with an immediate change… so my ears and playing can hear and feel the change. The way to do the cabinet change is to wire it up with a switch or have someone toggle the switch in real time as to allow your ears and playing to instantly focus on a change. No way can you stop playing, walk over to the cab, flick a switch, walk back and have your body in the EXACT position beforehand to hear the effect of the change. This is why I tend to sit directly in front of a speaker cab when modding or tinkering, use a Brown Box for voltage checks, etc. I’m taking away any variable’s as much as possible.
Controlling for variables is literally the scientific method. 🙏🏻🥳👍🏻

Back