Strat hunting Japan edition

• Thread starter Thread starter scottosan
  • Start date Start date
scottosan
scottosan
Today, I was on a mission to buy a strat since I need to start making single coil pickups. As usual I try to avoid anything new or from this century FWIW. I played a good 12-15 strats today many of which were vintage spec Japanese strats. Definitely far superior to any mexi-strat, but for whatever reason, I always have a hard time bonding with vintage spec strats and their 7.25 radius necks and vintage narrow frets. 4 hours into the hunt I come across an 89-80 ls model. Fender American Bridge, 22 frets, 10” radius, much bigger frets, gotoh tuners, (2) Lace Sensor Silvers and (1) Lace Sensor Blue, Blueberry Burst light weight ash body. It also came stock with the MDX/Clapton mid boost. Not to mention it can with this badass Arthur Fonzarelli’esque soft leather case. This one was ¥70000 = $444.

IMG_5505.jpeg

IMG_5507.jpeg

IMG_5506.jpeg

IMG_5509.jpeg

IMG_5511.jpeg

IMG_5512.jpeg
IMG_5515.jpeg

Last edited:
The 80's Japan Fender guitars always sound good for some reason.

I have an 85' with a Kahler Steeler trem and it kicks ass.

That's the coolest strat i've ever seen, 444? Jesus christ.

You are killing me with all these sweet Japanese guitars. Also, my Strat is ready for some ToneNerd single coils!!!

No brainer! Great color too! Congrats on the snag
Looking forward to hearing some Tonenerd single coils.
Don't forget us guys who like the sounds of a hot (or cool) rails, or nice fat 1/4 pounder in the neck position, Going for that John Norum or Doug Aldrich lead fat Strat tone
enjoy the hell out of that guitar!

Last edited:
These are great guitars and were really made well. The necks are super comfy on them. I recently refretted one for my singer. Plays fantastic!

Enjoy!

Looks like it plays itself. Did you oil the board right before the pics?

Back