Bare Knuckles?

MrFlexx

I have a Charvel San Dimas with a JB/59 combo. I'm thinking about upgrading it with some Bare Knuckles. After sending some emails back and forth with Bare Knuckles they suggest me to go with a VII in the bridge position and a Riff Raff in the neck position.

Is there anyone here that tried any of these pickups in these positions, by themselves or together? What's your thoughts about these?

For your information I find the JB to have some harsh highs and I want lesser output.

Last edited:
VII is a good pickup.
Very hotrod paf.
Modern with vintage soul.

You should check out the polymath, but I think I prefer the Silo to that one. But for you, probably polymath. Very dynamic low output yet very bold.
From your description of the VII it feels like that's the one for me. How would you compare that one to the Silo and Polymath?

Last edited:
I thought the VHII sounded thin and weak compared to the JB, but I like the JB and you want something with less output, so perhaps you'll prefer the VHII.

I thought the VHII sounded thin and weak compared to the JB, but I like the JB and you want something with less output, so perhaps you'll prefer the VHII.

I thought the JB sounded weak and shitty for anything with low end. It just got lost and weird sounding. A black winter shits completely all over a JB with literally no regard.

The VHII is much more clear than a JB and allows you to use the amp more.

From your description of the VII it feels like that's the one for me. How would you compare that one to the Silo and Polymath?

It's just more alice & chains.

The poly is dynamic with less low mids.
The silo has more low mids & more output.

Remember less output = more sensitive
You'd like the vhii if you like vintage tones with a modern edge. I HATED the JB I tried, sounded weak and blurred compared to every other pickup in the room unless you tune standard E and drop to D, maybe. Even then thr distortion and especially the black winter demolished the JB for clarity.. and the black winter cleans up incredibly with the guitar volume. Love that pickup.

It's just more alice & chains.

The poly is dynamic with less low mids.
The silo has more low mids & more output.

Remember less output = more sensitive
You'd like the vhii if you like vintage tones with a modern edge. I HATED the JB I tried, sounded weak and blurred compared to every other pickup in the room unless you tune standard E and drop to D, maybe. Even then thr distortion and especially the black winter demolished the JB for clarity.. and the black winter cleans up incredibly with the guitar volume. Love that pickup.
I want like a vintage version of the JB with less harsh highs and more sensitive, dynamic.

I thought the JB sounded weak and shitty for anything with low end. It just got lost and weird sounding. A black winter shits completely all over a JB with literally no regard.

I really don't want the pickup to sound weak. I want a thick, more of a vintage tone.

I have a Charvel San Dimas with a JB/59 combo. I'm thinking about upgrading it with some Bare Knuckles. After sending some emails back and forth with Bare Knuckles they suggest me to go with a VII in the bridge position and a Riff Raff in the neck position.

Is there anyone here that tried any of these pickups in these positions, by themselves or together? What's your thoughts about these?

For your information I find the JB to have some harsh highs and I want lesser output.
Install a 333k resistor from the hot lead of the JB to ground and it will be smooth (was designed for ~125k load) and will be like turning the volume pot down, basically (bleeding more signal and resonant peak frequency to ground).

BK’s are great but they aren’t a JB and never will be.

I could be wrong, but I thought the holy diver was supposed to be a better take of the JB. I'd save the money and try a Duncan SH-5 in the bridge.

I really don't want the pickup to sound weak. I want a thick, more of a vintage tone.

You might actually want a rebel yell if BKP is what you're stuck on.

And honestly, I know this might sound weird but I find the warpig super thick and soft with the attack. It feels vintage with more output to me. I bet the alnico would be even more so.

Also, the miracle man is like a WAY better JB. It's like a black winter with more total bass content and slightly less mids.

I popped a Black Winter into my Ibanez a little while back, and man that thing kills.

You might actually want a rebel yell if BKP is what you're stuck on.

And honestly, I know this might sound weird but I find the warpig super thick and soft with the attack. It feels vintage with more output to me. I bet the alnico would be even more so.

Also, the miracle man is like a WAY better JB. It's like a black winter with more total bass content and slightly less mids.
I do love Rebel Yell on my Gibson Les Paul. But I've heard that they are to btmright on a Charvel with an alder body and maple fretboard. If that sint the case I would most certainly wanna try it out.

I do love Rebel Yell on my Gibson Les Paul. But I've heard that they are to btmright on a Charvel with an alder body and maple fretboard. If that sint the case I would most certainly wanna try it out.

Be sure to get alnico magnets.

I had Rebel Yell at the bridge of US Charvel Socal with maple fretboard. Nothing but amazing results, tight bottom, enough mids, clarity in the high . end. SH-4/JB is quite a mess with 500k volume pot, just too much of everything.
Here is the Charvel which I sold to my friend. The video is from their openinf act for Machinehead. Amp is JCM900+ old Engl with '91 Mesa V30's (also my recent cab :) )

VII is a good pickup.
Very hotrod paf.
Modern with vintage soul.
100% this. It’s my favorite of the BK lineup next to Black Dogs.

Rebel Yell is the last pickup you want for a super strat. It will virtually have no low end whatsoever, it’s hard enough to squeeze a solid low end with them in an LP with the pickup screws nearly slammed on the string. That pickup is designed for LP guitars only really.

Holy Diver is pretty sweet in a super strat. Well balanced with a good growl.

I was a big JB fan boy for years but over time while trying out other pickups, I just don’t gel with them anymore. Lows are too loose for tight riffing and the highs are smeared. The mid range bark is what I do still like about them though.

I've had a Black Dog in an ESP Horizon and now a Strat. Both Alder bodies and it works great in both. I have yet to try the VHII but when the JB is discussed, I resort the Holy Diver in most cases.

Back