Mesa vertical 2X12 with V30s and Splawn?

• Thread starter Thread starter kmanick
  • Start date Start date
kmanick
kmanick
I scored this vertical 2X12 Friday night really for use with my Mark IV but I have found that by using the mid cut (which is actually a mid shift according to Scott) and Gear 2 this cab actually pairs pretty well with the Splawn. that mid switch really kills the "honk" you can get with V30's
all 3 cabs.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe I need to put some mesa V30s in my vertical Splawn 212. Mesa V30 speakers are supposed to be "darker" than "Standard" V30s.

Maybe I need to put some mesa V30s in my vertical Splawn 212. Mesa V30 speakers are supposed to be "darker" than "Standard" V30s.
they definitely sound different than the V30's in the Friedman (although that cab sounds damn good as well)
what speakers are in you Splawn cab?

they definitely sound different than the V30's in the Friedman (although that cab sounds damn good as well)
what speakers are in you Splawn cab?
Had WGS Retro 30s in there, and they were good but the low-end between them and the Nitro at times was too much. Switched to Chinese V30s and nearly cut my head off with the highs. LOL.

So right now it sits empty.

Been using a front loaded soldano 412 cab that's smaller than your typical 412 and been sounding great. But still want to bring the 212 back to life.

Congrats.

I will say my QR is not bad at all into my Mesa 412. Not as good as the Small Blocks though.

My Mesa cab has Mesa V30s and my Splawn cab has Small Blocks. But not a true A-B comparison with a cab switcher etc.

Ha7LI0R.jpg
sorry, I meant soundwise. I understand the size/dimensions of the cab make a difference, but just an idea of whats different between the V30 and Small Blocks.

sorry, I meant soundwise. I understand the size/dimensions of the cab make a difference, but just an idea of whats different between the V30 and Small Blocks.
Oh I know what you meant. I'm just not good at explaining speakers, especially if it is not an ABY scenario with everything else equal. Like same amp, same cables, and ABY pedal and 2 identical cabs with different speakers. The Small Blocks are essentially higher wattage Greenbacks so overall smoother, less spikey highs and better sounding mid range. The main complaint with regular V30s and Splawns was the the mid focus was too much. Honestly they sound pretty similar. I will say this, the Splawn sounds fine with the Mesa Trad 4x12 (V30s) but the Mesa into the Splawn 2x12 is better than fine :D

LOL.. sounds good and no worries. You explained it perfectly.

Maybe I'll have to look for some Small black speakers to try out in my Splawn 212 cab. Doesn't look like Scott sells small blocks anymore.

The small block is pretty similar in concept to a creamback, and they match well with Splawns once they wear in and take some of the peaks out of their treble response.

Definitely agree with @311splawndude that V30s with Splawns can be pretty intense in the mids, my Super Stock through a friend's Randall 4x12 with two V30s and two creambacks absolutely deleted a VHT Pitbull and a Mark III out of a live mix a couple of years back with the mic on a V30, we moved it to a creamback and it balanced out a bit better, but in live situations Splawns will eat a lot of other amps because of that mid range punch and the sheer amount of air that they will move bleeding from the stage in my experience, (my other friend's '05 Pro Mod is even more pronounced once you start to ramp the gain up).
The Creamback/V30 mix with my amp sounded amazing though, it's just that it can be a thing to watch when you're doing a live mix, especially if you don't have the mid switch like OP.

The small block is pretty similar in concept to a creamback, and they match well with Splawns once they wear in and take some of the peaks out of their treble response.

Definitely agree with @311splawndude that V30s with Splawns can be pretty intense in the mids, my Super Stock through a friend's Randall 4x12 with two V30s and two creambacks absolutely deleted a VHT Pitbull and a Mark III out of a live mix a couple of years back with the mic on a V30, we moved it to a creamback and it balanced out a bit better, but in live situations Splawns will eat a lot of other amps because of that mid range punch and the sheer amount of air that they will move bleeding from the stage in my experience, (my other friend's '05 Pro Mod is even more pronounced once you start to ramp the gain up).
The Creamback/V30 mix with my amp sounded amazing though, it's just that it can be a thing to watch when you're doing a live mix, especially if you don't have the mid switch like OP.
I use a Captor X with an IR I blend myself that is a mix of a 4X12 greenback cab and a 4X12 Recto cab with the greenback cab dominating a little bit in the blend, I was interested in this cab because I felt that sometimes I had to crank my amp more than the sound guys like to hear myself on stage, I think this cab will help a lot with that. I' now even interested in getting another vertical 2X12 and loading my scumbacks into it, my 4X12 sounds amazing but it's a PITA to haul around

I use a Captor X with an IR I blend myself that is a mix of a 4X12 greenback cab and a 4X12 Recto cab with the greenback cab dominating a little bit in the blend, I was interested in this cab because I felt that sometimes I had to crank my amp more than the sound guys like to hear myself on stage, I think this cab will help a lot with that. I' now even interested in getting another vertical 2X12 and loading my scumbacks into it, my 4X12 sounds amazing but it's a PITA to haul around
Oh yeah, reactive attenuators are a great thing with Splawns given there's about 1/4 of a turn on the volume knob between silent and club volume, I have the Mesa Powerhouse one without the built in IRs because I was worried about going lower than a 150W capacity for a 100W head, (and apparently the hard coded IRs in the Mesa Cabclone one kinda suck).

It'll be interesting to see how you go with the V30s on the stage volume/cut through, if the sound techs are getting a bit salty about your stage volume they can always tweak your foldback for you. I have a flogged old Laney 4x12 with Seventy80s in it that are extremely played in, and as much as I know we all love a greenback/V30/boutique speaker, those and the trusty old G12T can be just the thing in a live setting for that cut through that they give you, especially if you're mainly using your rig as a monitor on stage and running through an IR to the FOH.

I use the mid switch on with my v30s and off with my greenbacks. Sounds great.

Back