Is what Kiesel did okay?

If it wasn't licensed, that's pretty scummy. Just had a ton of my artwork stolen and was being sold by someone else claiming rights to it, so I'm def against that kind of bullshit. Trying to be fair though, I'm gonna give Kiesel the benefit of the doubt, for now. That said; grab the pitchfork if it's theft.
Sucks about your art . That’s scummy

Why would they need approval? To use a red base coat and splatter black and white "lines" on it? Pretty sure theyve done black and yellow splatter for years, should they pay eddies estate because he played a black and yellow guitar too?

Gibson owes Jimmy page bazillions. They've profited off of guitars with someone else's name on them, sometimes 2 somebody else's names on them and they look even more like Jimmy's than these look like eddies. They only paid Jimmy for his signature ones though... Scammers, crooks, ne'er do wells!

Those guitars look terrible. But I would never buy a Kiesel anyway. Hard pass. I aw they re-issued Holdsworth's guitar too. Had him in the ad for it. I wonder if they are paying anything to his estate? I highly doubt it.

Those guitars look terrible. But I would never buy a Kiesel anyway. Hard pass. I aw they re-issued Holdsworth's guitar too. Had him in the ad for it. I wonder if they are paying anything to his estate? I highly doubt it.
They pay Holdsworth's estate, they have a headless Holdsworth in their catalog, this is a limited run of the Holdsworth model with headstock before Allan wanted a headless model. Holdsworth goes back to Carvin days.

Jason Becker gets a cut of every one of his signature guitars; so do the other artists with signature guitars. They're doing a special in July where every Becker model sold they'll donate an extra $100 to Jason on top of the standard cut.

These Eruption models aren't even close to the line IMO, the paint job isn't interesting, I'd call them "inspired by" or "in the spirit of" and that's a stretch - really it's up to EVH estate to decide what they do; if they let it slide or cease and desist. If they let it go, so do I; and vice versa.

I doubt anyone besides Keisel fanboys will buy these.

I've been considering a headless Holdsworth for years, but they're very small, and I'm 6'5", 215 so it's gonna look like a ukulele / Tiny Tim. Even my EBMM Majesty looks like a toy on me...

Odd, not for me. I don't understand the marketing. If it's the fee they wanted to avoid looks like they'd be safe

Reactions: rsm
It's an interesting edge case. It's not a direct copy of the stripes but they are advertising it as the "Eruption" Splatter finish which everybody associates with Eddie.

To me, it's different enough that the looks alone wouldn't make any guitar player think it was literally an EVH guitar, but any VH fan would immediately know who/what inspired it.

So yeah maybe a bit scummy but at the same time, nobody should have copyright on a red/white/black color scheme either.

Reactions: rsm
It is definitely a thin line because they are not actually stripes in the vain that Ed created them. The fact that they use the word "Eruption" seems problematic. My guess is EVH camp will go after Keisel and could drown them in legal fees but in the end, Keisel did just little enough to probably pass muster that they didn't break any copywrite law. Pretty scummy in my book. :dunno:

Sample EVH warning regarding copywrite:
1.2 "Frankenstein Design" is the pattern(s) of distinctive crisscrossing lines on a solid colored background registered with the U.S. Copyright Office (Reg. No. Vau 505-308), and includes derivative works thereof. To see examples of the Frankenstein Design click here.
1.3 "Franky Design" is the pattern(s) of distinctive crisscrossing lines on a solid colored background and includes derivative works thereof. To see examples of the Franky Design, click here.

Side story on how Ed got to the Red + White and Black stripes. This was a quote from an interview of a friend of Ed's regarding March 1979. Interesting enough if you are a EVH fanboi. Otherwise, I'm sure all of this is very boring :LOL:

1EWeF09l.jpg

gE2lnjRl.jpg

Meh. Not something I'd buy, but I don't see an issue with Kiesel doing this as long as they're not infringing on IP. I doubt they'd do it if there wasn't a market for it.

I'm not a fan of anything Kiesel does. They have issued some of the fugliest headstocks known to man. Add to that, I don't like supporting douchebags.

I'd rather spend my money on an Epiphone.

I'm not a fan of anything Kiesel does. They have issued some of the fugliest headstocks known to man. Add to that, I don't like supporting douchebags.

I'd rather spend my money on an Epiphone.

What, you're not cool with ordering something that clearly wasn't what you wanted, only to be told "it's fine, you're overreacting and you have bad taste anyway" when you let the company know?

Back