EVH 5150iii EL34 50W - Just the red channel

GearGasms

Doctor Love
Ask any owner of any EVH amp model what their favorite channel on that amp is, and they'll likely say "The red channel"!! Whether you have the Stealth, the original 6L6 version or the EL34 version, it's that super high gain that likely brought you to the table.
So let's take a look at that Red Channel, and only that Red Channel to see if the EL34 version satisfies in the same way, or better, than the 6L6 version! I'm going to force my ugly riffs through this thing, throw some pedals at it as well, and we'll see what's what.
Have a great weekend and Celebrate Mediocrity!
alan

I have a 50W 6L6 version that was modded to Stealth specs by Jens Kruse. What makes it hard to choose for me at times, especially with Stealth mod, is that Blue and Red can both be used for high gain applications. Blue is much easier to tame and much more versitile though. Red is a bit out of control but sometimes I like that. Many times it depends on my mood and also the guitar and pick ups. For more extreme stuff, I usually choose red. And for leads, especially with hard rock and metal, I love red.

Last edited:
Reactions: Geo
I have the Stealth 50 and the 5150 III 100W,
and the Blue Channel on Full Gain on my 100W is my favorite channel.
I love and use the Red Channel on 11pm, but the Blue Channel just sounds so rich and full.

I have the Stealth 50 and the 5150 III 100W,
and the Blue Channel on Full Gain on my 100W is my favorite channel.
I love and use the Red Channel on 11pm, but the Blue Channel just sounds so rich and full.
I agree. I feel like people were kind of down on the blue channel when this first came out so I did a video attempting to defend it

If you are an old VH fan, blue is your channel. If you are into more modern metal, red is your channel.

I don't understand the first part of your first sentence because I have NEVER heard anyone say the Red Channel is their favourite EVH channel .. every single person says the Blue channel
Exactly. No idea what the OP is talking about as the Blue channel has been the celebrated channel since these amps came out and everyone has been trying to tame the red channel since the beginning. Red channel is over the top ridiculous amounts of gain and IMO has to be set on about 10 o'clock to even be remotely musical. It still pales in comparison to the blue channel. Strange premise.

While I agree that the blue channel, boosted is my favorite, the red channel is killer as well. I had two, first versions of the 50 watt previously. I recently bought a newer (concentric pots) 6L6 version and the red channel definitely seems to have been improved. The green channel as well for that matter. Just an excellent all around amp that can’t be touched in it’s price range.

Last edited:
Exactly. No idea what the OP is talking about as the Blue channel has been the celebrated channel since these amps came out and everyone has been trying to tame the red channel since the beginning. Red channel is over the top ridiculous amounts of gain and IMO has to be set on about 10 o'clock to even be remotely musical. It still pales in comparison to the blue channel. Strange premise.
OP probably spends too much time watching YT videos and thinking those yo yo's represent the larger populace. Thinking about doing the V5 mod the tube swap to tame it

Amp makers that:
- Demanded wire transfer payment on the balance due to their Step-Daughter's German bank account in order to evade the financial authorities and then sabotaged that very same product with circuit destroying epoxy resin.
- Sold tubes worth 440 EUR to a loyal customer but refused to ship them, which resulted in a 5 YEAR odyssey to get his money back.
- Sold a fully rebuilt custom amp to another loyal customer that had design flaws and parts that made the amp break down 10 days after receivership, which resulted in the customer paying almost half a grand USD out of pocket to fix it.

All of the above are the actions of @novosibir aka Helmut "Larry" Grohmann of Larry amplification. Do you really want someone only 7 years younger than Joe Biden and with a self admitted malignant narcissism disorder (like D*n*ld Tr*mp) building your amp? Buyer beware!
If you read the signature of this frustrated, bitter pensioner who is filled with hatred and envy of my life without thinking, then some people might initially get the impression that I am a despicable person from whom it is better to keep a distance...

... in any case, that would correspond to the longing wish of this obviously psychopathic person and the real events only become clear once you have heard the response from the other side, my side, in addition to his subjective, falsified and drastically dramatized presentation.

In any case, I doubt the mental health of this senior citizen if events that happened 13 years ago and through which he suffered no disadvantage or damage are still burning in his soul so much today that he sends them out into the world through his signature, fanatically like a sex offender, with the sole aim of doing me the greatest possible harm and dragging my reputation through the mud.

Below I will examine the details and then ask you to use common sense to judge how mentally ill someone appears to be who, like a defiant preschool child, cries and denounces 13-year-old events that a normal-thinking person would only laugh at:

"Demanded wire transfer payment on the balance due to their Step-Daughter's German bank account in order to evade the financial authorities"

We used to have frequent financial transactions in the past, but here I had asked him once to transfer the money to another account this time and it was for another reason than he claimed.

This didn't put him at any disadvantage and it didn't cost him a single cent more.

Why is he crying about it now 13 years later and wanting the rest of the world to know about it?

Does he really think others will find this information interesting? How mentally ill is he really?

"and then sabotaged that very same product with circuit destroying epoxy resin"

The partially epoxy covering did not damage the circuit, but actually had a protective function for the components and is comparable to how H. A. Dumble completely covered his circuits with goop.
The reason for this at that time was so that his then best friend Mike Fortin, near whom this grandpa lives, would not again drill his curious eyes into my then very current circuit of my preamp and not copy another Larry circuit and then use it as his own development presented, just as Mike Fortin had done several times before.

I only had the 'top secret' area of my preamp cast with resin. See for yourself and judge how 'destructive' this was:

200_3264.jpg

By the way, I recently heard from someone that Mike Fortin had promised him a certain amount of money and other benefits if he brought his Larry preamp to him for re-engineering after receiving it. This was no longer possible after my copy protection. Did that upset him?

"Sold tubes worth 440 EUR to a loyal customer but refused to ship them, which resulted in a 5 YEAR odyssey to get his money back"

This has NOT HIM affected, but someone else. I didn't send the tubes he ordered because the other person bad-mouthed me on another forum and so I transferred his money back to him.

A few years later, the other person complained that he hadn't gotten his money back.

I could no longer prove the repayment because I had Wirecard Bank at the time, which has since been liquidated and I no longer had access to past transactions online.

Just for the sake of peace, I transferred this 440 EUR to the other person again.

But if that was the only thing Grandpa found to criticize from my transactions over the past 13 years, then I'm really good and it would be a mark of quality for me.

Other manufacturers sometimes have 100 cases of discrepancies in payment transactions within 13 years - and if there was another case, Grandpa would know about it, because he has been spending a lot of his time for several years researching my life in CIA style and probably knows about it even my shoe size.

Again, how mentally ill does a person have to be to waste so much energy trying to portray mosquitoes as elephants on the Internet?

"Sold a fully rebuilt custom amp to another loyal customer that had design flaws and parts that made the amp break down 10 days after receivership, which resulted in the customer paying almost half a grand USD out of pocket to fix it"

Ouch, how to make a long story short? Ok I'll try my very best.

Grandpa had bought a Marshall amp in Hamburg on eBay Germany, which I rebuilt to a 3-channel amp already in 1994 and initially just wanted the amp to be checked and serviced by me, so the seller sent it to me.

When the amp was with me, grandpa had new modding ideas almost every day, which he discussed extensively with me and it ended with me rebuilding the amp from scratch based on Dino 939 and he even wanted the original Marshall/Dagnall trannys replaced with my Dino trannys.

That was a pilot project for me to build a unique piece, for which I had to design a lot of new things just for this single amp, since the conditions in a Marshall chassis are completely different than in a Dino chassis.

Preamp tubes are at the back and not at the front like on the Dino, input is on the right and not on the left like on the Dino, trannys are both on the right and not right/left like on the Dino, etc. etc.

When the amp was in his hands after the complete rebuild, one of the filter caps failed 10 days later - but for cost reasons it was previously agreed not to change the old electrolytics after they showed me good readings, but that doesn't mean a guarantee. Why is he still crying about it still today?

A little later, Grandpa complained that when the gain was fully turned up in the British or Scream channel, a slight cross-talk could be heard in the Clean channel. A phenomenon that didn't appear here for me, otherwise I wouldn't have sent the amp. It wasn't my ears either, because before sending it, other guitarists with good ears had also played the amp and found it perfect.

But no matter, I simply believed him and in order to save him the high costs of shipping the amp back to Germany and back to Canada, I made a special board with a relay and sent it to him with very detailed instructions for installation.

Anyone with even a little bit of mechanical skill could have installed the board himselv within an hour and only 4 cables had to be soldered on.

Grandpa however was apparently too fine for it and had it installed by a technician who probably saw on his face that he was being ripped off regarding the costs?

As a thank you for everything and for more than 200 emails back and forth I now can read his signature dripping with hatred and bitterness under each of his posts? But it's not just me - he's so malicious that he wants everyone in the world to read his subjective, falsified and distorted version of history.

But he forgot that I had deducted about 20% of the actual costs to be calculated with the costs for the new rebuild - just so that the costs for the rebuild together with the costs for the amp he has payed wouldn't be too close to the price of a real Dino.

How can you help such a frustrated, bitter and mentally lost person to see things clearly and realistically again? Unfortunately, he is already too old for psychotherapy to be promising - this is over by the age of 40 at the latest, after which you are resistant to therapy. Yes, I know that, because I also used to study psychology in the past.

He's just a pathetic and pitiable person, this thegame, and now I feel more sorry for him than I can be angry with him. He doesn't have a good life, otherwise he wouldn't be like that.

Finally, I would like to apologize to all of you in advance for the future.

I don't want to bother you with my posts, but I don't know in advance who will read a post from thegame for the first time and therefore read his signature for the first time, so unfortunately I have to quote his posts every time the game publishes a post with this signature in the future and explain it with this text – until perhaps enlightenment comes to his brain and he changes his signature.

I'm really sorry guys, but there's no other way.

Please understand and just scroll over this post if you already know it.

Thanks!

Larry

If you read the signature of this frustrated, bitter pensioner who is filled with hatred and envy of my life without thinking, then some people might initially get the impression that I am a despicable person from whom it is better to keep a distance...

... in any case, that would correspond to the longing wish of this obviously psychopathic person and the real events only become clear once you have heard the response from the other side, my side, in addition to his subjective, falsified and drastically dramatized presentation.

In any case, I doubt the mental health of this senior citizen if events that happened 13 years ago and through which he suffered no disadvantage or damage are still burning in his soul so much today that he sends them out into the world through his signature, fanatically like a sex offender, with the sole aim of doing me the greatest possible harm and dragging my reputation through the mud.

Below I will examine the details and then ask you to use common sense to judge how mentally ill someone appears to be who, like a defiant preschool child, cries and denounces 13-year-old events that a normal-thinking person would only laugh at:

"Demanded wire transfer payment on the balance due to their Step-Daughter's German bank account in order to evade the financial authorities"

We used to have frequent financial transactions in the past, but here I had asked him once to transfer the money to another account this time and it was for another reason than he claimed.

This didn't put him at any disadvantage and it didn't cost him a single cent more.

Why is he crying about it now 13 years later and wanting the rest of the world to know about it?

Does he really think others will find this information interesting? How mentally ill is he really?

"and then sabotaged that very same product with circuit destroying epoxy resin"

The partially epoxy covering did not damage the circuit, but actually had a protective function for the components and is comparable to how H. A. Dumble completely covered his circuits with goop.
The reason for this at that time was so that his then best friend Mike Fortin, near whom this grandpa lives, would not again drill his curious eyes into my then very current circuit of my preamp and not copy another Larry circuit and then use it as his own development presented, just as Mike Fortin had done several times before.

I only had the 'top secret' area of my preamp cast with resin. See for yourself and judge how 'destructive' this was:

View attachment 321786

By the way, I recently heard from someone that Mike Fortin had promised him a certain amount of money and other benefits if he brought his Larry preamp to him for re-engineering after receiving it. This was no longer possible after my copy protection. Did that upset him?

"Sold tubes worth 440 EUR to a loyal customer but refused to ship them, which resulted in a 5 YEAR odyssey to get his money back"

This has NOT HIM affected, but someone else. I didn't send the tubes he ordered because the other person bad-mouthed me on another forum and so I transferred his money back to him.

A few years later, the other person complained that he hadn't gotten his money back.

I could no longer prove the repayment because I had Wirecard Bank at the time, which has since been liquidated and I no longer had access to past transactions online.

Just for the sake of peace, I transferred this 440 EUR to the other person again.

But if that was the only thing Grandpa found to criticize from my transactions over the past 13 years, then I'm really good and it would be a mark of quality for me.

Other manufacturers sometimes have 100 cases of discrepancies in payment transactions within 13 years - and if there was another case, Grandpa would know about it, because he has been spending a lot of his time for several years researching my life in CIA style and probably knows about it even my shoe size.

Again, how mentally ill does a person have to be to waste so much energy trying to portray mosquitoes as elephants on the Internet?

"Sold a fully rebuilt custom amp to another loyal customer that had design flaws and parts that made the amp break down 10 days after receivership, which resulted in the customer paying almost half a grand USD out of pocket to fix it"

Ouch, how to make a long story short? Ok I'll try my very best.

Grandpa had bought a Marshall amp in Hamburg on eBay Germany, which I rebuilt to a 3-channel amp already in 1994 and initially just wanted the amp to be checked and serviced by me, so the seller sent it to me.

When the amp was with me, grandpa had new modding ideas almost every day, which he discussed extensively with me and it ended with me rebuilding the amp from scratch based on Dino 939 and he even wanted the original Marshall/Dagnall trannys replaced with my Dino trannys.

That was a pilot project for me to build a unique piece, for which I had to design a lot of new things just for this single amp, since the conditions in a Marshall chassis are completely different than in a Dino chassis.

Preamp tubes are at the back and not at the front like on the Dino, input is on the right and not on the left like on the Dino, trannys are both on the right and not right/left like on the Dino, etc. etc.

When the amp was in his hands after the complete rebuild, one of the filter caps failed 10 days later - but for cost reasons it was previously agreed not to change the old electrolytics after they showed me good readings, but that doesn't mean a guarantee. Why is he still crying about it still today?

A little later, Grandpa complained that when the gain was fully turned up in the British or Scream channel, a slight cross-talk could be heard in the Clean channel. A phenomenon that didn't appear here for me, otherwise I wouldn't have sent the amp. It wasn't my ears either, because before sending it, other guitarists with good ears had also played the amp and found it perfect.

But no matter, I simply believed him and in order to save him the high costs of shipping the amp back to Germany and back to Canada, I made a special board with a relay and sent it to him with very detailed instructions for installation.

Anyone with even a little bit of mechanical skill could have installed the board himselv within an hour and only 4 cables had to be soldered on.

Grandpa however was apparently too fine for it and had it installed by a technician who probably saw on his face that he was being ripped off regarding the costs?

As a thank you for everything and for more than 200 emails back and forth I now can read his signature dripping with hatred and bitterness under each of his posts? But it's not just me - he's so malicious that he wants everyone in the world to read his subjective, falsified and distorted version of history.

But he forgot that I had deducted about 20% of the actual costs to be calculated with the costs for the new rebuild - just so that the costs for the rebuild together with the costs for the amp he has payed wouldn't be too close to the price of a real Dino.

How can you help such a frustrated, bitter and mentally lost person to see things clearly and realistically again? Unfortunately, he is already too old for psychotherapy to be promising - this is over by the age of 40 at the latest, after which you are resistant to therapy. Yes, I know that, because I also used to study psychology in the past.

He's just a pathetic and pitiable person, this thegame, and now I feel more sorry for him than I can be angry with him. He doesn't have a good life, otherwise he wouldn't be like that.

Finally, I would like to apologize to all of you in advance for the future.

I don't want to bother you with my posts, but I don't know in advance who will read a post from thegame for the first time and therefore read his signature for the first time, so unfortunately I have to quote his posts every time the game publishes a post with this signature in the future and explain it with this text – until perhaps enlightenment comes to his brain and he changes his signature.

I'm really sorry guys, but there's no other way.

Please understand and just scroll over this post if you already know it.

Thanks!

Larry

What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it.

Yeah just tried the OG white 5153 again (50W)

The blue channel was as great as I remembered, and the red channel was just too much again just as I remembered lol

Reactions: Geo
Back