Any production rackmount high gain heads worth looking into other than Mesa?

Honestly, if you are after the recto vibe for recording, I would just get a Syn 1 and the DRECT module. It sounds like a Recto, no doubt about it.
The Synergy stuff looks like such a great solution for what I'm trying to do. The Syn 2 and the power amp take up only two rack spaces together, and I could change out modules if I want to experiment with sounds. I'm gonna seriously consider offloading the amps I've been using and maybe give that system a go for recording. It would really simplify things. But are the tones spot on, or just comparable?

The Synergy stuff looks like such a great solution for what I'm trying to do. The Syn 2 and the power amp take up only two rack spaces together, and I could change out modules if I want to experiment with sounds. I'm gonna seriously consider offloading the amps I've been using and maybe give that system a go for recording. It would really simplify things. But are the tones spot on, or just comparable?
Buying modules would be a rabbit hole for me..

I wonder if you could rackmount any of the lunch box size heads out there?
Syn.modules seem like an option for u.But my concern is same as yours- tone.
Idk.. i never tried them as I dnt have a use for them,I have almost all of the big boy preamps and they cover enough I guess.
If I had to go with modules these days,I'd pair them up with the best poweramp you can afford.
I'd like to hear more of the red seven preamp and see what it's all about.
It's a wonder M Neilson hasn't done a shootout yet of the big preamps vs the synergy ones.

Buying modules would be a rabbit hole for me..
I try to stick to one of each brand/type. I have one Bogner, One Freyette, One Friedman, etc.... I think having 2 from the same company would probably overlap too much. That helps make it not too crazy. I currently have 7 of them.

Reactions: rsm
Can’t say I’ve been wowed anytime I got to check a module in person. Which is a shame because I dig the idea, especially for recording.
Now that I've been down a Youtube hole again I'm remembering why I never bought one

I’ve wondered this as well. Small lunchbox through a good power amp to create a similar sound as the big boy. Or is there something missing. I have personally found that the real head has something bigger than the pre- plus power amps. Maybe I cannot dial in or need a eq somewhere in the mix. I’m not an expert on how to set up but when I feel it’s right I stop tinkering then move. Problem for me is when I add another tone changer (boost, drive, modulator… it changes everything). Let alone a different room when gigging …. Wtf happened to my sound? Maybe just put earplugs in and wing it next time. “tonal rawdawg”

I’ve wondered this as well. Small lunchbox through a good power amp to create a similar sound as the big boy. Or is there something missing. I have personally found that the real head has something bigger than the pre- plus power amps. Maybe I cannot dial in or need a eq somewhere in the mix. I’m not an expert on how to set up but when I feel it’s right I stop tinkering then move. Problem for me is when I add another tone changer (boost, drive, modulator… it changes everything). Let alone a different room when gigging …. Wtf happened to my sound? Maybe just put earplugs in and wing it next time. “tonal rawdawg”
There’s a lot to be said for the “synergy” of a preamp and poweramp all being fed from the same power supply, as in a head. I’ve often found a rack pre-amp sounds better in the return or line in of an amp head than a rack poweramp. As an experiment I ran the pre out of my Brett Hinds Terror (basically a small JMP MV) into bigger power and even though it gets louder, the characteristics of the smaller amp were still present. It didn’t suddenly thump more or get more cohesive in the low end like as if it had been built as a 50 or 100 watt head

There’s a lot to be said for the “synergy” of a preamp and poweramp all being fed from the same power supply, as in a head. I’ve often found a rack pre-amp sounds better in the return or line in of an amp head than a rack poweramp. As an experiment I ran the pre out of my Brett Hinds Terror (basically a small JMP MV) into bigger power and even though it gets louder, the characteristics of the smaller amp were still present. It didn’t suddenly thump more or get more cohesive in the low end like as if it had been built as a 50 or 100 watt head
Until one tries the pre/power; one doesn’t know. My heads have a live feel that is just different. Plexi-Larry-EVH-mk3-TBR 1-SL and 2S-Wizard. When playing alone I can’t notice a difference. Playing with people it then becomes apparent- it’s weird. But pre’s are definitely worth trying. I think certain power supplies get you there close. SLO. Fryette. VHT 2150. SD 2100 KTG. TBR. Prob other power amps but I don’t have them so I can’t comment. Moving heads and cabs sux; for live play.. pre’s all the way. Just roll up a rack and go. they look cool too.

Until one tries the pre/power; one doesn’t know. My heads have a live feel that is just different. Plexi-Larry-EVH-mk3-TBR 1-SL and 2S-Wizard. When playing alone I can’t notice a difference. Playing with people it then becomes apparent- it’s weird. But pre’s are definitely worth trying. I think certain power supplies get you there close. SLO. Fryette. VHT 2150. SD 2100 KTG. TBR. Prob other power amps but I don’t have them so I can’t comment. Moving heads and cabs sux; for live play.. pre’s all the way. Just roll up a rack and go. they look cool too.
I don’t know, every gig I did in the 90’s and 2000’s was a half stack with casters, guitar case on top of the head and back pack holding all cables, pedals etc. it was always a one and done trip. I will say the Mesa Quad I had sounded very good into a Mesa 50/50. When I was selling Boogie in the 90’s we would mess with configs in the store all the time and everyone agreed, the Triaxis just sounded better in the return of a JCM2000 than through the 2:90. But all gear is different.

I would still like to try a VHT 2100 one day though.

50W
936947d4-fd4a-4d9d-b517-c999c91f871e.jpg

a0c7c3b4-db88-4104-a668-e500779de503.jpg

Back