Current “best” amp kits

• Thread starter Thread starter gybe!
  • Start date Start date
gybe!
gybe!
In the Marshall-esque realm, is there a current favorite/best kit out there in terms of quality of components/transformers?

Can‘t comment on your question as I only have experience with one company (TAD Germany).

Have you considered buying a kit and sourcing key components by yourself? You can get kits with the option of not included transformers and get them from wherever you want. You can as well get different caps like synergy royal mustards if you are after that vintage Marshall tone and sell the not used caps from the kit.

Take this with a grain of salt as I haven't done any of these kit myself. But I have done a bunch of research and these are the companies I feel are good quality and plan on getting a kit from them eventually. Of course the specific kit would be a matter of what you want.

Pretty much anything from Ceriatone: https://ceriatone.com/

Modulus Amplification. Personally I'm interested in their Marshbar 50: https://modulusamplification.com/

Valvestorm is sort of a kit, but you have to source the transformers: https://www.valvestorm.com/

Mojotone seem to have decent kits available: https://www.mojotone.com/

Overall Weber seems to be good quality, but I've read their input jacks kinda suck: https://www.tedweber.com/amps/kits/

Evolve DIY (Headfirst) offers quality PCB's that allows for flexable circuits. You have to source most components yourself though: https://evolvediy.com/

I’ve heard Ceriatone’s transformers aren’t up to snuff compared to ones by Heyboer. Mojotone kits come with Heyboers and pretty good documentation. I have a partly finished Brit 50 build by them. It’s good quality and well organized.

I like Ceriatone's layouts, chassis, and empty turret boards. Just order those. Then source all the passive components from digikey or mouser yourself. And get iron from Heyboer or Marstran or Merren. Nothing wrong with a full kit either.

I like Ceriatone's layouts, chassis, and empty turret boards. Just order those. Then source all the passive components from digikey or mouser yourself. And get iron from Heyboer or Marstran or Merren. Nothing wrong with a full kit either.
I’ll add pacific audio or Mercury magnetics for iron choices. I prefer Mercury magnetics.

I’ll add pacific audio or Mercury magnetics for iron choices. I prefer Mercury magnetics.

I built a SLO clone with Pacific and O'netics as well as built/modded many other amps with different PT/OT/Choke brands. I personally did not like the way the Pacific sounded for an OT and was harder or harsher in the midrange more mid more forward. All the others listed here I've tried and sounded amazing. Also really liked Classic Tone/Magnetic components brand.

I built a SLO clone with Pacific and O'netics as well as built/modded many other amps with different PT/OT/Choke brands. I personally did not like the way the Pacific sounded for an OT and was harder or harsher in the midrange more mid more forward. All the others listed here I've tried and sounded amazing. Also really liked Classic Tone/Magnetic components brand.
I know of a famous builder that buys pacific audio iron in bulk today and no one is complaining :)

I find they sound great but I prefer MM.

I know of a famous builder that buys pacific audio iron in bulk today and no one is complaining :)

I find they sound great but I prefer MM.

Just my findings and opinion. Yep I know of a couple amp builders that use them and they make a high-quality product that is for sure, just not for me.

Classic Tone / Magnetic Components went out of business in 2020

Ceriatone transformers are fine. I've built several using MM, Hammond, Heybooer, classictone and Ceriatone Iron. The only two I didn't like was the Hammond or the MM(price vs improvement with the MM).

Lately I will grab my chassis, faceplate, and Iron from Ceriatone and get my PCB from Evolve. Everything else is mouser, valvestorm and Mojotone

I've got two Metro/Valvestorm Marshalls.

18 watt TMB (Dave Friedman has now for modding)
JTM45

I had read enough about funky schematics and errors with Mojotone so I didn't go thru them.
I did have to source my own transformers, Heyboer and Mercury.

I also built a Boothill Princeton 5F2A.
Cheap board, cheap componets.
Heyboer transformers.
Did install a Celestion Alnico Gold 10".
Plan on redoing the components and better board this winter when I have more time available...

I'd go Valvestorm again.

Trinity amps is under new ownership and is being revamped. They were always my go to for cool kits

Trinity amps is under new ownership and is being revamped. They were always my go to for cool kits
I've been wondering why most of their stuff is out of stock with no updates in a long time. Assuming it'll be the same quality as from the previous owner I wouldn't mind doing one of their triwatt kits.

I've been wondering why most of their stuff is out of stock with no updates in a long time. Assuming it'll be the same quality as from the previous owner I wouldn't mind doing one of their triwatt kits.
I’ve only read a few facebook posts, but it sounds like Stephen has been transitioning to retirement for a couple years and just doesn’t want to run a business anymore. He said he is staying on in some capacity to help with customer service and custom stuff.

He’s the only guy I’ve emailed with a question, and he followed up with a phone call to me to make sure everything worked out and offered to walk me through it in real time if I needed it. Dude is alright in my book

Well gonna get to try out a Ceriatone kit soon (without the trannies).

We'll see how this goes...

Back