Simple rock live rig

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteShadow
  • Start date Start date
WhiteShadow
WhiteShadow
Howdy guys,

So I'm getting ready to play a festival with my band on the 27th. It's our first gig. We are playing 13 80s hair metal/power pop covers plus one original which is in the hair metal style. Songs include Van Halen, Ratt, Poison, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, The Darkness, etc...

I'm bringing my two MiM Charvels, My Wolfgang special, my DSL40CR, and a simple pedal board. Right now the three pedals I've got are a Boss SD-1 overdrive, Boss RV-6 reverb, and Crybaby Wah. I'm looking to add a couple more pedals to finish out the rig.

All I really want is to create a simple 80s metal tone that I can set and leave. Something that will cover the brown sound, but also work for the other songs too.

I'm thinking a phaser or something will help round out the sound, and maybe a boost pedal or preamp. I'm looking for recommendations for what to buy. Tried and true products. Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

For the 80's stuff you will need a chorus and delay most likely.
Agree! I'd get a chorus and a Carbon Copy or similar (Keeley has a great one) delay. I keep mine on all the time.

Specific make/model of gear would be helpful. I'm a newb

The other things I'm going to need in addition to gear recommendations is a good tutorial on basic stock settings. I don't trust my judgement on gear/tone. I'm looking for something not so overly laden with effects. Just kind of a touch of it

The other things I'm going to need in addition to gear recommendations is a good tutorial on basic stock settings. I don't trust my judgement on gear/tone. I'm looking for something not so overly laden with effects. Just kind of a touch of it
Then get the MXR EVH phase 90 with the EVH setting built in.

80s_mens_fashion_memes.jpeg

Last edited:
There is a beauty of the simplicity of the MXR Phase 90. It only has a rate knob. There is no bad setting.

For a boost, I love an Echoplex style preamp pedal. I've been using the MXR Booster Mini for a boost, but the Xotic EP Booster or Chase Tone Secret Preamp are great choices too. Sometimes boosts can be amp specific, so YMMV.

You could get a Chiron from Griff too.

There is a beauty of the simplicity of the MXR Phase 90. It only has a rate knob. There is no bad setting.

For a boost, I love an Echoplex style preamp pedal. I've been using the MXR Booster Mini for a boost, but the Xotic EP Booster or Chase Tone Secret Preamp are great choices too. Sometimes boosts can be amp specific, so YMMV.

You could get a Chiron from Griff too.
Yeah, my general approach is that I just like to keep things simple. Learn how to achieve the sounds I want with my playing (i.e. rolling down volume for cleans, switching pickups, etc...) rather than have all sorts of gear and stomp boxes to change to different sounds, or tinker with gear too much. That way I know I don't have to worry about things not working right during a performance.

I also just like to use gear the way it was designed from the factory bc that's the way its meant to sound. You can't go wrong with it. Pedals are simple. You stomp them to turn them on, stomp them again to turn them off. I don't like modding things or doing intricate setups bc I'm more likely just to ruin things that way.

But I do like the idea of just getting one of those HX Stomps, the smallest one, using a stock rock tone preset and forgetting it. Easy to pack into the gig. If I get one (and its looking highly likely I will), I'll probably be hitting you guys up for some tips/presets.

Reactions: Geo
If I get the HX stomp, do I need a FRFR speaker like the headrush if I'm going to use it live? I will be running it FoH

If I get the HX stomp, do I need a FRFR speaker like the headrush if I'm going to use it live? I will be running it FoH
I don't think you need it but you may want it.

Maybe you can try without first.

I don't think you need it but you may want it.

Maybe you can try without first.
What is the difference between a frfr powered speaker like the headrush and just a normal monitor like they’d have at the venue? Do I even need the frfr, or can I just use the house monitor?

What is the difference between a frfr powered speaker like the headrush and just a normal monitor like they’d have at the venue? Do I even need the frfr, or can I just use the house monitor?
I am no expert but the stage monitor is not a guitar specific speaker.

I think this is the way to go tbh

The HX Stomp doesn't seem like a simple solution for someone who doesn't trust their judgement on gear/tone.

Howdy guys,

So I'm getting ready to play a festival with my band on the 27th. It's our first gig. We are playing 13 80s hair metal/power pop covers plus one original which is in the hair metal style. Songs include Van Halen, Ratt, Poison, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, The Darkness, etc...

I'm bringing my two MiM Charvels, My Wolfgang special, my DSL40CR, and a simple pedal board. Right now the three pedals I've got are a Boss SD-1 overdrive, Boss RV-6 reverb, and Crybaby Wah. I'm looking to add a couple more pedals to finish out the rig.

All I really want is to create a simple 80s metal tone that I can set and leave. Something that will cover the brown sound, but also work for the other songs too.

I'm thinking a phaser or something will help round out the sound, and maybe a boost pedal or preamp. I'm looking for recommendations for what to buy. Tried and true products. Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Almost identical to what I use. Add either a Boss PS-6 for a little pitch shift, or a delay for a quick slap back. These should be always on for thickening. Then add another longer delay to kick on for solos.

Last edited:
I would just add a decent chorus .... a BBD Delay ( with tap tempo if possible ) and a decent Klon clone .... to what you already have ...

Almost identical to what I use. Add either a Boss PS-2 for a little pitch shift, or a delay for a quick slap back. These should be always on for thickening. Then add another longer delay to kick on for solos.
Even with just using a stock preset and calling it good?

Back