Megadeth at Hellfest 2024...WTF

The whole band is firing on all cylinders. Teemu is an absolute machine and nails it all, I'm really stoked to see this dude get the recognition he deserves. Dave's vocals seem to warm up in the later half. It looks like he's definitely in pain singing though.

I'd love to see these guys on their coming tour, but I fucking hate seeing bands in big ass arenas. All these bigger bands skip clear over NJ too.

1000011434.jpg

Saw them two weeks ago in Paris and they were great. I didn't plan to see them at all but my youngest daughter (!!) begged for tickets so I went with her. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the show. Very much enjoyable. Voice is not as bad as it could be. Dave still got it. He looks like a mummified version of himself with skin like old parchment (a bit scary to tell the truth) but the music is there.

Sounds pretty good for a live show, voice is decent - I wouldn't expect it to be perfect after touring a ton...the sad demise is Mikael from Opeth, clean is fine but his heavy singing is TERRIBLE!

Here's the thing.... Megadeth still sounds like Megadeth. Dave has never had a great voice, but that is part of their sound. They still put out records that sound like they have always sounded. A pissed off metal band. These days, I cannot distinguish a Metallica album from any of the other bands out there. It's just generic at best.

One thing I’ll give Metallica, apart from bass players, it’s the same guys this whole time since Dave was booted. Dave has constantly rotated in different players so has certainly hired in a lot of that longevity. Easy to stay musically effective when you have top metal drummer’s and lead players on speed dial. But still, as Dave rights the music, still plays it well and sings, the core of the quality will always be from him.

It's not the throat surgery that killed his voice. He had a back surgery, or neck and they went in from the front and after that, his voice went to shit.
I can't listen to them anymore and they were my favorite thrash band of all time. Song construction, riffs, and voice = SHIT!!!

But I'll still take that over 4 minutes each song of yeh yeah oooh ahhhh Yeah.

It's not the throat surgery that killed his voice. He had a back surgery, or neck and they went in from the front and after that, his voice went to shit.
I can't listen to them anymore and they were my favorite thrash band of all time. Song construction, riffs, and voice = SHIT!!!

But I'll still take that over 4 minutes each song of yeh yeah oooh ahhhh Yeah.
Yeah, but you get those killer, long, Lars snare intros, before you even get to the yeh yeah oooh ahhhhh yeah’s!!

Last edited:
Im shocked at the amount of love for megadave in this thread, usually people
hate on him or says things like he hasnt made a good album since rust in peace, seems like he was hated for a while but now its a love fest.

Im shocked at the amount of love for megadave in this thread, usually people
hate on him or says things like he hasnt made a good album since rust in peace, seems like he was hated for a while but now its a love fest.
Youthanasia was ok. I tapped out after that.

Sounded good to me. He don't hit the high notes like he used to, but no one does.

Hasnt been able to ' sing" for years but let's be honest, you go see Megadeth for the music. That, they still deliver.

Not really a fan of Megadeth or Metallica, but they can still pretty much rock the house down from what I can see if you are into it.

Back