Wizard MTL MKII vs. Hell Razor

It’s hard to notice on video but by gain do you mean compression or gain saturation? Does it still maintain note separation with higher gain settings? By less open do you mean thinner sounding?

I do prefer a more open sounding amp and do prefer compression. I’m concerned I can’t swing the price of the hell razor - it’s a 2k difference. Is it worth the 2k difference compared to just using an EQ and a boost?
You can get the gain and saturation to wherever you want with mtl2 and be very clear . And can be set thick with clarity

I would not bother with the mtl. The hellraiser isnt just another amp in the line. It changed the fucking game. And the game was already good

You can get the gain and saturation to wherever you want with mtl2 and be very clear . And can be set thick with clarity
Yeah I’m leaning towards the MTL MkII. I like the gain structure more and the pricepoint is also more realistic. I don’t see the benefit for the cost that the HR offers over the MTL2 and every video I’ve found of a wizard that I believe sounds great has been an MTL2 vid ironically.

Yesterday, I dialed in the bright knobs on the rear panel to "4" on the HR. Very freaking cool. Dialed back in some highs with the treble and presence and it's like a different amp.

Yesterday, I dialed in the bright knobs on the rear panel to "4" on the HR. Very freaking cool. Dialed back in some highs with the treble and presence and it's like a different amp.
Ya HR has the strongest over all eq I’ve had on an amp . It’s so drastic it does sound like different amps

Yeah I’m leaning towards the MTL MkII. I like the gain structure more and the pricepoint is also more realistic. I don’t see the benefit for the cost that the HR offers over the MTL2 and every video I’ve found of a wizard that I believe sounds great has been an MTL2 vid ironically.
If you as an HR at MTL2 price get that . If not MTL2 is the shit

I haven't played the HR but it's nuts how much the Bright knob on the MC II changes the sound of the amp. Actually that knob is so influential to the sound of the amp that I wonder why it's not on the front panel.

The HR has two Bright knobs which I can only assume are just as influential as the ones on the MC II, so I can only guess that amp is pretty much a total high gain chameleon.

I haven't played the HR but it's nuts how much the Bright knob on the MC II changes the sound of the amp. Actually that knob is so influential to the sound of the amp that I wonder why it's not on the front panel.

The HR has two Bright knobs which I can only assume are just as influential as the ones on the MC II, so I can only guess that amp is pretty much a total high gain chameleon.
2 brights
3 gain
Saturation
4 pull boosts

Maybe even too much control- definitely more sculpting options than anything else I’ve seen

Nailed it.

2 brights
3 gain
Saturation
4 pull boosts

Maybe even too much control- definitely more sculpting options than anything else I’ve seen

Yeah its a bit nuts! Gain 1 acts very much like "treble" on a Mark Series. It has to be on for any gain.

the Ultra takes some tweaking to dial in, but channel 1 is pretty killer in hair + or uber mode, I have a MC1 that absolutely crushes as well - the MTL, HR, Uber and MC are all killer in their own right.
That was one of the better combinations on it, I agree, but still for my taste at least sounded inherently too filtered or cardboard-y imho no matter how it was set (just an inherent timbre I found). I just didn’t care for the amp and preferred the earlier revision Uber’s before the Blue. In either case though it just didn’t sound similar to me to the Hell Razor. Different flavors. Really I don’t know of any amp I’d really consider an alternative, but a ‘90’s MC boosted might at least be the most viable

I much prefer the Hell Razor for reasons I mentioned many times in other threads. The only advantages I can see with the MTL is if you want a drier sound or more natural low mid presence. I remember the MTL I had actually being the more open amp, but never AB’ed the 2. The HR KT150 for sure is more fun to play, punchier, tighter, more aggressive with a lot more gain
Yep, he's got the III Coli with all the low mids anyone could want.
HR for the win.

Both killer amps. MtL a little more polite, but can get real aggressive with a boost and cranking the bright. The hell razor kind of reminds me of my modern classic boosted, at least how I dial it. On the MTL I’m sure with the sweep and a boost I could get it real close to the hell razor. All killer amps! The hell razor is definitely by far the most aggressive straight in.

As many have said the Uber ultra rules and hangs with it for sure. That being said different amps. Uber ultra is more compressed and less open. Also mid range is different. More traditional scooped like a recto or other bogner Ubers. The hell razor and all wizards have that hiwatt, Fryette sounding mids.

I’m just not a recto guy and don’t want to go down the path of a multi-watt. I’ve narrowed it down to these two options and having a hard time deciding between the two.

Anyone own both and can shed some light? I’m leaning towards the MTL MkII mainly because they’ve dropped in price a bit since the hell razor was released.
You back to jammin on the fiddle? If so, that’s great brother! Some time back you were in a little funk. Hope yer good

If you want a wizard for tight metal then the hell razor is the definite choice. Uber Ultra definitely a much different amp. This video shows a good comparison of the Hell Razor, Uber Ultra, and a Hermannson.

The Hell Razor is Meshuggah style tightness. If you are after more thick metal (Killswitch Engage etc) style tones than a multi watt, Diezel, Bogner style is the better option in my opinion.

Last edited:
6L will have a more modern vibe and thicker low, EL34 will have more grind and top end obviously. Or go full retard and go KT88

I hear an odd cocked wah attitude to my ears with MTL2 EL34 that I also hear prominent in 5150 iii el34. I prefer 6550 but 6L6 just seems to sit better for the type of tones I personally prefer. Nothing sounds bad of course it’s all personal preference. I haven’t heard anyone put 6550s in an MTL2 to know for sure whether to go KT88 (6550 loaded of course) or go 6L6.

I’m really digging your MTL2 6L6 100W vid. Everything just seems to sit right.

Last edited:
Back