Wizard MTL MKII vs. Hell Razor

I haven't played the HR but it's nuts how much the Bright knob on the MC II changes the sound of the amp. Actually that knob is so influential to the sound of the amp that I wonder why it's not on the front panel.
IMG_2380.jpeg

My MC Road that Rick built for me many moons ago.

I hear an odd cocked wah attitude to my ears with MTL2 EL34 that I also hear prominent in 5150 iii el34. I prefer 6550 but 6L6 just seems to sit better for the type of tones I personally prefer. Nothing sounds bad of course it’s all personal preference. I haven’t heard anyone put 6550s in an MTL2 to know for sure whether to go KT88 (6550 loaded of course) or go 6L6.

I’m really digging your MTL2 6L6 100W vid. Everything just seems to sit right.

6L6 in Wizards are killer, even @RedB4Black converted from EL34 to 6L

The 6l6 mtl2 def the amp that I regret getting rid of most . But el34 with Rick is it. And I’m a 6l6 guy
Good morning Techdeth. What 6L6's do you prefer? I have run a lot of JJ's, still have one amp loaded with new ones. Tech recommended Tung Sols since I only had one set of JJ's so I have the TS's in the '69. That amp sounds absolutely awesome right now. Perfectly tuned, she sings.

I’ve got no experience with the HR, but I’ve got an EL34 2016 MTL and absolutely love it, it’s a BEAST.
MTL’s have plenty of lows and highs with scooped mids, so I’d go EL34 to compensate for that.
As far as comparing the MTL and Uber Ultra, there’s no comparison imo. The MTL is by far the more organic sounding/feeling amp, with a touch of that stickiness reminiscent of a vintage Marshall. It’s got a great connected feel that really makes you dig in. It’s an extremely meaty and robust tone with balls to spare. It sounds huge and hits like a wrecking ball, and is one of few amps that’ll hang with your Coli.
The UU, while admittedly is a beast of an amp, sounds/feels way to synthetic/cardboard/modern for my tastes, and I’m willing to bet that with your tastes in amps you’d agree.

I’ve got no experience with the HR, but I’ve got an EL34 2016 MTL and absolutely love it, it’s a BEAST.
MTL’s have plenty of lows and highs with scooped mids, so I’d go EL34 to compensate for that.
As far as comparing the MTL and Uber Ultra, there’s no comparison imo. The MTL is by far the more organic sounding/feeling amp, with a touch of that stickiness reminiscent of a vintage Marshall. It’s got a great connected feel that really makes you dig in. It’s an extremely meaty and robust tone with balls to spare. It sounds huge and hits like a wrecking ball, and is one of few amps that’ll hang with your Coli.
The UU, while admittedly is a beast of an amp, sounds/feels way to synthetic/cardboard/modern for my tastes, and I’m willing to bet that with your tastes in amps you’d agree.
I have many reasons not to get an UU. I hear the same filtered qualities others have mentioned which is why I didn’t jump on one when they first came out. My Coli would also destroy it at its own game. Third I have an early XTC that when boosted provides the Bogner flavor in spades and is super aggressive when you actually open it up and give it some volume.

Odd that you’d recommend the EL34 to compensate for the naturally scooped tone - I still hear the cocked wah thing even with its natural voicing. I feel like the amp is designed that way and 6L6 just seems to compliment it more :dunno:

I have many reasons not to get an UU. I hear the same filtered qualities others have mentioned which is why I didn’t jump on one when they first came out. My Coli would also destroy it at its own game. Third I have an early XTC that when boosted provides the Bogner flavor in spades and is super aggressive when you actually open it up and give it some volume.

Odd that you’d recommend the EL34 to compensate for the naturally scooped tone - I still hear the cocked wah thing even with its natural voicing. I feel like the amp is designed that way and 6L6 just seems to compliment it more :dunno:
I don’t hear a cocked wah tone with mine in the least.

If you ever hear an Uber Ultra sound like a cocked wah, check to see if it's in Channel 2 Ultra mode. That mode is highly filtered and lops a TON of lows off the input and it's not hard to make that mode sound like that.

The Uber mode in Channel 1, or the Uber mode in channel 2, going easy on the Metamorph knob, doesn't have the cocked wah thing.

Last edited:

I think I hear a cocked wah quality too in some clips, but the MTL I had (which beyond black has now) was the exact opposite of a cocked wah sound. Wasn’t even really capable of that, while I actually can dial in that sound with my Hell Razor. Not that I would want to lol

To hear it you have to compare a 6L6 and an EL34 variant of the same amp to hear the emphasis offered by EL34s. The same boost in high mids happens on the MTL2 as is done comparatively on the 5150 iii. But it’s not a frequency range the tonestack can adjust - it’s built into the power supply. I’m more of a 6550 guy for high gain but it’s definitely there and can’t be dialed out. You either hear it or you don’t.

I hear an odd cocked wah attitude to my ears with MTL2 EL34 that I also hear prominent in 5150 iii el34. I prefer 6550 but 6L6 just seems to sit better for the type of tones I personally prefer. Nothing sounds bad of course it’s all personal preference. I haven’t heard anyone put 6550s in an MTL2 to know for sure whether to go KT88 (6550 loaded of course) or go 6L6.

I’m really digging your MTL2 6L6 100W vid. Everything just seems to sit right.

One of, if not the best Wizard clips I've ever heard. Actually I've seen many of his other videos and they all sound great. Dialed in nicely.

Back