MR. HUMBLE - Yngwie Malmsteen press conference at Hellfest 2024

Based

I mean I don't agree with him on this and still think he sounded best in the mid 80s to the early 90s when he had a band and people still had some (if small) say

But hey more power to him.

I think Yngwie is usually laughing inside when he says something arrogant and people don't seem to get that. Now he's much cooler than he used to be but who could blame him for acting like a god when he first came on the music scene. He changed the rock guitar world at the age of 19 or so. EVH and the rest must have been blown away by the technique and stage antics. He is the best live player I ever saw.

The stories of him straight up messing with journalists are my favorite lol

Like the one where he let his pet ferrets loose in his mansion before an interview, so when the interviewers came, he'd ask them to help him find his ferrets.

Or that one when he made a guy wait for an hour or so for him to finish practicing, then he announced during the interview "I don't practice anymore"

The stories of him straight up messing with journalists are my favorite lol

Like the one where he let his pet ferrets loose in his mansion before an interview, so when the interviewers came, he'd ask them to help him find his ferrets.

Or that one when he made a guy wait for an hour or so for him to finish practicing, then he announced during the interview "I don't practice anymore"
Yeah stories like these demonstrate he is a character with a twisted sense of humor lol. Blackmore too had this twisted sense of humor. These guys seem very similar but sonetimes rubs people the wrong way and it's understandable.

Honestly, I actually find him very interesting and entertaining, and I'm not even really a fan of his music.

Yeah, like a lot of shredders, I'm a huge fan of his playing but to listen to his music I really need to be in a very specific kind of mood. And even then, while there are some "pure Yngwie" nonstop shredding tunes I think are legitimately fun and good the whole time, I have a pretty low tolerance for it overall. One, maybe two songs, and I'm good on it for a while.

He's definitely one of the few shredders who is at least as entertaining to hear speak as he is to hear play, though.

I was listening last night in bed and my wife asks….
“Who is that douche?”
Yngwie Fuckstein….
“Well I’ve never heard of him and he is a douche”

This video explains everything about what’s either right or wrong with him. He explains why he will take his toys and go home. If you’re going to play with him, you must obey.
He clearly explains why everyone else is the asshole, and he doesn’t care if you agree with him or not.
I was in Southern California when he got there and he could’ve been the next in line after Hendrix and Van Halen. He was completely mesmerizing when you watched him. Now, he’s boring to watch after a few minutes of leg kicks, pick throwing, hair flinging and his stupid mountain of fake Marshalls behind him.

This video explains everything about what’s either right or wrong with him. He explains why he will take his toys and go home. If you’re going to play with him, you must obey.
He clearly explains why everyone else is the asshole, and he doesn’t care if you agree with him or not.
I was in Southern California when he got there and he could’ve been the next in line after Hendrix and Van Halen. He was completely mesmerizing when you watched him. Now, he’s boring to watch after a few minutes of leg kicks, pick throwing, hair flinging and his stupid mountain of fake Marshalls behind him.
Except, he IS the next in line to VH and Hendrix. So, he accomplished that. He completely invented classical shred. Him alone. No, Blackmore wasn't classical shred. Just classical. And, the first at that.
But GIT was pretty much founded on YJM. Some of course on EVH but 99% of the guys who went there, wanted to become the next YJM. Like him or not, his place on Mt Rushmore of electric guitar is secure.

I got Rising Force when it came out and had heard about him beforehand. But other than us guitar geeks in this tiny corner of the Internet, no one can name a single song of his, let alone sing along with it. He gets zero airplay and I can't name one of his albums after Trilogy. Yeah, I get his technical abilities, have seen him live a few times, totally respect his ability and I like most of Rising Force. But he ain't on the Mt. Rushmore of guitarists.

Back