It's been a week of heavy use - The Bogner 3534 50 watt IS LEGIT!

I think the OP ended up selling the amp a month or two later. I was interested in the 50W XTC as well but everything I read said to get the 101 instead. Glad I did, it rips.
I don't know how the 35 watt compares to the 50 watt, but I had a 101B and a 35 watt at the same time and it was no comparison whatsoever to the big boy. Possibly the fastest test-to-repack of any amp I've owned.

Last edited:
Been curious about the 50watter. No Depth knob, which I like to have for an extra push. My Bogner Helios 100w didn't quite have the punch of my Splawn, so I sold it and kept the Splawn.

Can anyone attest to the 50w XTC having some balls for a 50w? My SPlawn mini Comp almost has too much!

Been curious about the 50watter. No Depth knob, which I like to have for an extra push. My Bogner Helios 100w didn't quite have the punch of my Splawn, so I sold it and kept the Splawn.

Can anyone attest to the 50w XTC having some balls for a 50w? My SPlawn mini Comp almost has too much!
The 50 watt certainly has balls. Without question. Alot of these assumptions made are just that. Assumptions. Many who suggest other amps instead I'd guess are repeating internet fodder, and never played one. The 50 is a totally different animal than the 35. I have first-hand experience. I've also played the 100 watt. The 50 is more vintage voiced, the blue and red are very close in terms of gain to each other, (and the voicing). It is more like a Marshall than the 35. And the 50 watt packs plenty of punch. PLENTY, and the gain levels are perfection. Raw, and MUCH less compressed than the 35. If you want 100 watts? Get it. But, the 50 will not disappoint. I guarantee it.

Last edited:
And this is based on what, exactly? Sure, 100 watts will sound a bit bigger, but the tones in the 50 are there. In spades.
The countless disappointments 50W owners admit after upgrading to a 101B.

@MrWoodchuck I know has first hand experience. I’ve read it a lot from others over the years as well.

The tones are definitely great on the 3534. There is just a lack of width and bass. I had the 35 watt version to be transparent, but I don't believe the 50 watt has that much more low end difference then the 35. For me personally, the choice of the 101b is a no brainer.

In the room video of 3534 (35 watt)

Then same guitar and cab in the room with 101b

Last edited:
The tones are definitely great on the 3534. There is just a lack of width and bass. I had the 35 watt version to be transparent, but I don't believe the 50 watt has that much more low end difference then the 35. For me personally, the choice of the 101b is a no brainer.

In the room video of 3534 (35 watt)

Then same guitar and cab in the room with 101b

So it basically sounds small just like the 35w

It'll chug all day long on both blue and red. It's not an overly saturated amp, it has the perfect amount of gain on both channels. A boost will take it to another level.
Can it hang with a Marshall in a band? I've had Bogners disappear like a Shiva I had against a DSL 50.Splawns will keep up though.

Ib

I have friends with the 101b who prefer the 50w saying it can sound and feel almost identical. A Bogner engineer said the same but I'm worried.
Worry not. The 50 watt has more balls than the 35. I've heard them side by side, and owning the 50 watt, I can attest it was far from "small" sounding. The 35 is somewhat grainier and way more compressed. The 50 is much more open and raw. It's a more traditional vintage sounding amp. Very Marshall, with that hint of Bogner. Gain levels on both blue and red are just perfect, not over-the-top like the 35. Especially red. Very subdued, but still aggressive at the same time. The FX loop and loop volume are excellent. You can truly get great tone at mouse fart levels if needed.

Last edited:
I've never played the 35 but played the 50 many times.its nice and I liked it,but i seem to always go back to my 20th anniv.xtcs. I have the 6l6 & el34.Both have much more authority, detail and girth and can be fine tuned to a greater degree.
When playing the 50,I found myself wanting separate excursions on the red and blue but that would jack the price up.But yes,the 50 is a killer amp in its own right.

Last edited:
The 50 watt certainly has balls. Without question. Alot of these assumptions made are just that. Assumptions. Many who suggest other amps instead I'd guess are repeating internet fodder, and never played one. The 50 is a totally different animal than the 35. I have first-hand experience. I've also played the 100 watt. The 50 is more vintage voiced, the blue and red are very close in terms of gain to each other, (and the voicing). It is more like a Marshall than the 35. And the 50 watt packs plenty of punch. PLENTY, and the gain levels are perfection. Raw, and MUCH less compressed than the 35. If you want 100 watts? Get it. But, the 50 will not disappoint. I guarantee it.
I've owned a couple 101b's and a 3534 35 watt.... Spent a few hours with the 50 watt version and it was a completely different amp than the 35. The 50 will hang in a loud band no problem. Always amazed at the comments about how much more massive the bottom end is in some of the 100 watt amps regardless of brand ABC. That's great and its undeniable, but whaddayagonna do as soon as its out of the house and on a stage in a mix and everybody is telling you to turn the bass down because you're stepping all over the actual bass player and fucking up the mix ?

The 3534 50 watt is killer, I would buy one in a moment at the right price.

This amp rocks. Yeah, yeah, I've been down this road, and I'm sure the peanut gallery will have their remarks, but I've had the place to myself since last week, and have played this amp for hours. Loud, and 2-4 hours almost daily since getting it last Saturday.

This amp, boosted, is super tight. And the tones.. Good lord.. As great as the blue channel is, (Very British, all the kerrang of a Marshall, but a boost in the low mids), the red channel is equally satisfying. I've heard and read that the red channel on the 35 is out of control - not so here. And the boost function is more of a clean boost, yet adds adds more low mid punch. VERY usable. I run the gains a bit lower, boost engaged and with all the boosts I own, my new 20th Anniversary Wylde Audio/MXR OD eats it up. It gets downright nasty, focused, and tight on both blue and red. The Hexdrive works well too, as does the SD-1, but the Wylde OD checks all the boxes.

The Loop Master is excellent. You can literally play at mouse fart levels, but I can attest that it's also loud AF. ZERO loop noise, and the Loop Master has a great taper.

The Excursion swtches and 3-way voicing switches really allow you to carve out your tone. Yes, it'll chug, and get as heavy as you want.

I just put JJ KT77's in it, and it's even more chunky. It's an amazing amp, I can't recommend it enough. I see zero negatives, and no regrets on this one.
Still going strong?

My Shiva is my favorite lead amp and I'm curious how the Ecstacy fits in. More chewy or more dry or just different?
I often hear the XTC is fatter in the mods and the Shiva, more focused.

Back