Uber Ultra or Darkest Nightmare

Braden717

So I've pretty much narrowed it down to these two as I just sold my ksr orthos. I've watched way too many videos on both. Gotta pull the trigger. Anybody have any advice one way or another? I decided against ENGL because I have heard maintenance is a nightmare if you need it done. Both of these amps alright if they need a repair? Im actually leaning towards the Darkest nightmare as I don't like dialing around with knobs a ton. I'm pretty much a set it and forget it guy and don't mind a one channel metal amp. However the tone on the Uber ultra is unreal. Also, does the darkest nightmare have the same screeching the Uber ultra does?

Not even a contest between the two. Uber hands down. Purple nightmare was one of the biggest disappointments I’ve ever played. As plain Jane and uninspiring to play as the REVV IMO. Built like a tank and I welcomed the built in boost section but couldn’t justify hanging on to it. When you have to try and force yourself to like something, that says a lot right there. Traded it for a VH4 and never looked back.

Yeah. Bunch of us thought driftwood would be the second coming. I was excited because i thought they were in the hill country around me, but they lasted less than a month in anyone's house that i know

Alright, I'll just pull the trigger on the bogner then. I was reading that even a noise gate has trouble taming that screech. Anybody have any personal experiance with that? I have an isp noise decimator 2 that's worked great on my invective and orthos. Appreciate the input.

The Ultra mode on channel 2 has a lot of gain. Some guitars (pickups) are noisier than others, but with reasonable settings you should be good to go with a Zuul or a Decimator in front. That’s how I use it.

Alright, I'll just pull the trigger on the bogner then. I was reading that even a noise gate has trouble taming that screech. Anybody have any personal experiance with that? I have an isp noise decimator 2 that's worked great on my invective and orthos. Appreciate the input.

I don't think the Bogner is inherently noisier than any other amp would be under the same gain levels and minimal filtering the Bogner has.

The Uber Ultra can be dialed with so much gain that the noise floor is the same volume as the guitar's input signal, but I wouldn't recommend dialing it in that way.

Most amps simply can't give you that much gain, but again the Uber Ultra can do it if you want. The amp doesn't hold your hand and the very wide range of the controls on it will allow you to dial in some tones you probably wouldn't want. The solution is simple though, turn off the Bright switch to add just enough treble filtering at the input to cut out the hiss and apply a treble filter similar to what other popular high gain amps use, and then turn the Gain down to similar levels of gain you can get from other high gain amps that don't have quite as much gain. At that point, you'll have about the same level of noise as any other high gain amp.

Last edited:
Run a good gate and you’ll be just fine. With a Zuul mine is dead silent.

Yep, on Ultra mode there is just insane amounts of gain. Don’t go past about noon on the gain knob and the noise is okay. On Uber mode with a boost and Decimator out front, it’s dead quiet. People don’t really boost the amp in Uber mode, but it’s super nice.

Back