Crappy pots in my Peavey XXX head...a LOT of them!

JohnnyGtar

I'm an old man, and I know that once in awhile a scratchy pot happens, but I've got a Triple X 120 watt head and a lot of the pots are so noisy it's ridiculous. I've NEVER had an amp with this many noisy pots before. Not with my Peavey Triumph made in the 80's, not Marshalls, not Fenders. Cryptic Mask on YouTube said he has to spray the pots on the same model amp I own every year or two. They must have used really low quality pots for these amps. Awhile back, I talked with a forum member whose 5150 head has the same issue. I'm really disappointed in the quality of this amp.

I think I'll take a loss and sell it or trade it because I shouldn't have to take it to a tech every year or two just to get crappy quality pots sprayed, FFS!

Anyone else here dealt with this problem on a Peavey amp?

My ultra needs sprayed. That’s usually an easy thing to do yourself bro. I just have not gotten around to doing mine yet. Not sure why I didn’t when I had it out of the shell.

That seems excessive. I have had mine for years and have sprayed them once.

They aren't cheap, but they are a funky type. They are called spider pots. I replaced one a few months ago.

Wonder if they're the same as the 3120's pots since it's the rebranded XXX. Literally pulled mine from some dude's barn house. Covered in dirt and grime. No issues yet, and I've had it for a few years now. Knock on wood, I guess.

I think I'll just sell or trade it. No sense in spending money to have a tech work on an amp that doesn't really have the kind of sounds I'm looking to get out of an amp. Plus, I have no desire to do anything inside an amp.

I think I'll just sell or trade it. No sense in spending money to have a tech work on an amp that doesn't really have the kind of sounds I'm looking to get out of an amp. Plus, I have no desire to do anything inside an amp.
Wish I was close, I'd try to work out a trade

I hadn't heard of them before. Thanks for the info. (y)
Sure thing! I keep being quoted like $200 for amps to ship lately and then I turn them onto PirateShip and they start listing things like crazy afterward cause they didn't think they'd find anyone willing to buy them that wasn't local :LOL:

Can also vouch for their insurance. They were slow to pay out for me, but it was also around the holidays last year. In the end they made it right so they are good in my book. Way easier to deal with than UPS, FedEx or USPS directly.

Those amps could be 20+ years old at this point.

Cleaning dirty pots is usually about as difficult as changing strings on a guitar. It's also not likely to be necessary every year or two, maybe every 4-5 years.

I'll give you $200 for it.

Back