DiMarzio Super Distortion vs. X2N (Series, Split and Parallel modes)

Super Distortions were THE replacement pickup around me back in the day; I remember when the X2N was released, there was nothing close; then EMG 81/85 were out soon after IIRC.

Took a few decades before I got a guitar with a X2N, BC Rich Chuck Schuldiner Stealth (this is one of the originals, MIK, from around 2008, not the new Tribute model), basically does one thing, but it does it well:

full front.JPG

Thank you! Very helpful comparison as I have both pick ups in different guitars.

Glad to do it! I've been a pickup nerd ever since I got my first DiMarzio catalog in the 70's. LOL
More often than not, I tend to prefer the sound of a humbucker in parallel if it's a high output pickup. Something about parallel sounds "right" to me.

Last edited:
Cool comparison.

Gotta say, when I first tried the X2N I was so underwhelmed with it. I got mine thinking "Yeah, Death!". I expected bright and aggressive, and it's got to be one of the darkest, bassiest pickups I've tried.

I have a Warrior with dual X2Ns on it, and I would've replaced them long ago if they didn't have the figured wood glued onto them to complete the aesthetic of the guitar. They're hot, but I hate them really.

Back