New Metal Amp Prototype

EddyLenz

Hey Guys,

Two months ago, I bought my first Dual Rectifier. As expected, I didn't really like it, so I began to tinker with the circuit.
I got it to a place where I was kinda happy with it and then decided to replace the circuit in my old Octane prototype with this new circuit.
That prototype being hardwired made it much easier to continue working on the circuit and test different ideas.

So around a month ago, I drilled a new socket for a 5th preamp tube in our stainless steel chassis and implemented the new circuit.
I then spent more time tweaking the amp and trying out an idea I had for a tight control, which I named "Fuel" on the new faceplate.

I did all this knowing, that I'd be going to Nancy Open Air Festival on the 21st of June to meet Teemu Mäntysaari of Megadeth to show him my amps.
That of course motivated me to make this amp something special that Teemu would like.

I think I succeded in that goal, as the new prototype was Teemu's favorite out of the three amps I had with me.

IMG_8210.jpg

At that point, the Fuel control was still on the back, so right after I got back home, I designed a new faceplate with the control on the front. I went with a chrome-style plate which I've been meaning to check out for a while. In hindsight, I should have picked a reverse plexi chrome faceplate instead of this one which gets lasered from the front...

P1040210.jpg

Here's a quick playtest of the amp in Drop C# with some mindless riffing. I'll make another demo with double-tracked riffs at some point.

It’s like a rectifier meets Marshall power amp side. Hows it feel under the fingers? I hate amps that can’t let you express yourself without being cut off or controlled like you can’t tame the amp because you have too weak of a pickup in the front end even though you don’t.

Also can you clean up the lead channel with your volume knob or do you have to have a dedicated clean amp or 4CM for cleans?

Probably one of the best modded Marshall platforms I think I’ve ever heard as it’s very bold and in your face but doesn’t have a quack nature to it at all.

How does it change as you jack the volume? Does it stay together and actually get louder or does it start to compress much earlier than instead?

Any plans for a tube buffered effects loop with send/return levels?

It’s like a rectifier meets Marshall power amp side. Hows it feel under the fingers? I hate amps that can’t let you express yourself without being cut off or controlled like you can’t tame the amp because you have too weak of a pickup in the front end even though you don’t.

Also can you clean up the lead channel with your volume knob or do you have to have a dedicated clean amp or 4CM for cleans?

Probably one of the best modded Marshall platforms I think I’ve ever heard as it’s very bold and in your face but doesn’t have a quack nature to it at all.

How does it change as you jack the volume? Does it stay together and actually get louder or does it start to compress much earlier than instead?

Any plans for a tube buffered effects loop with send/return levels?
It feels great to play, which was something I had to work on since it felt quite bad for leads when I started modding the Rectifier.

Yeah, it cleans up very well. I completely forgot to show it in the video but you can already hear it in the picking dynamics when I play softer.

The power amp is pretty standard and stays together at higher volumes.

It does have a tube buffered FX loop with send/return already, which is always active.

Maybe as a custom order for now where I use one of the Hot Chili chassis and drill the added holes like I did with this one. That way I could also have different faceplate colors available since I'd order those one at a time.
Thanks! I’ll PM you.

I love the way the low mids come out here for how tight it is.

Back