New Metal Amp Prototype

Hey Guys,

Two months ago, I bought my first Dual Rectifier. As expected, I didn't really like it, so I began to tinker with the circuit.
I got it to a place where I was kinda happy with it and then decided to replace the circuit in my old Octane prototype with this new circuit.
That prototype being hardwired made it much easier to continue working on the circuit and test different ideas.

So around a month ago, I drilled a new socket for a 5th preamp tube in our stainless steel chassis and implemented the new circuit.
I then spent more time tweaking the amp and trying out an idea I had for a tight control, which I named "Fuel" on the new faceplate.

I did all this knowing, that I'd be going to Nancy Open Air Festival on the 21st of June to meet Teemu Mäntysaari of Megadeth to show him my amps.
That of course motivated me to make this amp something special that Teemu would like.

I think I succeded in that goal, as the new prototype was Teemu's favorite out of the three amps I had with me.

View attachment 323652

At that point, the Fuel control was still on the back, so right after I got back home, I designed a new faceplate with the control on the front. I went with a chrome-style plate which I've been meaning to check out for a while. In hindsight, I should have picked a reverse plexi chrome faceplate instead of this one which gets lasered from the front...

View attachment 323655

Here's a quick playtest of the amp in Drop C# with some mindless riffing. I'll make another demo with double-tracked riffs at some point.

looks like a single channel. Is it? This one may be hard to resist.

It’s like a rectifier meets Marshall power amp side. Hows it feel under the fingers? I hate amps that can’t let you express yourself without being cut off or controlled like you can’t tame the amp because you have too weak of a pickup in the front end even though you don’t.

Also can you clean up the lead channel with your volume knob or do you have to have a dedicated clean amp or 4CM for cleans?

Probably one of the best modded Marshall platforms I think I’ve ever heard as it’s very bold and in your face but doesn’t have a quack nature to it at all.

How does it change as you jack the volume? Does it stay together and actually get louder or does it start to compress much earlier than instead?

Any plans for a tube buffered effects loop with send/return levels?
Using the volume pot on this one with a Duncan JB and Slash Neck. In the end, I roll it down again just on the JB.
I also used different mic positions with each mic on a different speaker than in the video.

Using the volume pot on this one with a Duncan JB and Slash Neck. In the end, I roll it down again just on the JB.
I also used different mic positions with each mic on a different speaker than in the video.

You have made something special. I hope to play one soon.

3800€ shipped to the US. ETA would probably be 2-3 weeks. For now, I would make them built to order using Hot Chili chassis and drill them for the new faceplates that I would get made individually for every order.
Hi Eddy, Du hast nicht zufällig nen Test-Amp?

Hi Eddy, Du hast nicht zufällig nen Test-Amp?
Leider nicht, momentan nur meinen eigenen Prototyp, den ich noch für einige Sachen brauche. Da ich die auch erstmal nur auf Bestellung fertigen werde, weil ich dafür Hot Chili Chassis bohre, weiß ich auch nicht wann ich mal einen übrig habe. Falls du zufällig in der Nähe von Stuttgart bist, kannst du ihn aber gerne anspielen!

Leider nicht, momentan nur meinen eigenen Prototyp, den ich noch für einige Sachen brauche. Da ich die auch erstmal nur auf Bestellung fertigen werde, weil ich dafür Hot Chili Chassis bohre, weiß ich auch nicht wann ich mal einen übrig habe. Falls du zufällig in der Nähe von Stuttgart bist, kannst du ihn aber gerne anspielen!
Danke für das Angebot. Bin leider außer Reichweite. ;) Die Amps sind mit Turret-Board? Und eine Drossel hast Du ja sowieso drin, oder?
So'n Test-Amp würde halt schon Sinn machen. Sonst kauft man ja die Katze im Sack. Rückgabe geht ja auch nicht. Schwierig...

Danke für das Angebot. Bin leider außer Reichweite. ;) Die Amps sind mit Turret-Board? Und eine Drossel hast Du ja sowieso drin, oder?
So'n Test-Amp würde halt schon Sinn machen. Sonst kauft man ja die Katze im Sack. Rückgabe geht ja auch nicht. Schwierig...
Ja, Turret Board und point to point FX loop. Ne Choke hat er auch.

Back