Orange Dual Dark Reissue… this time in white (sorta)

Not to defend Orange, as I really do think they're expensive for what they are, but the transformers are definitely not small. Like I said, at the time, my guitarist's Rockerverb 50's transformers weren't far off from what my Peavey XXX had.

Sorry for the massive mult-quote but it's all related

Ah, awesome. Thanks for the explanation.

Then the Dark Terror actually shares more in common with the Thunder series of amps, I assume?
Yeah - exactly. In fact, the schematic I have for the Dark Terror is identical to the Thunder 30 Dirty channel except for one value in the shape circuit. Maybe I missed something but they are super similar.

For anyone else reading though, despite the similar names, the "Thunder" and "Thunderverb" are two completely different designs. I feel like they get mixed up a lot. Thunderverb has a lot less gain, different staging etc not much in common wtih the Thunder (or its relatives).

I agree. The OR series were my favorites from Orange. I liked also the OR30 and OR15, but even so I think there are just better amps out there for where Orange’s excel. Same story for the ‘70’s Orange OR120 I used to have
Yeah if you like Orange amps they may be worth trying. I think I may even prefer the OR30, but didn’t AB it to the other models. Just my opinion from trying it alone
I really wanted to try the OR30 when it came out. I've been patiently waiting for a used one to pop up - just missed one recently. I don't have a schematic but it seems like a great combination of everything I like out of the AD30 and the OR50 combined into one amp. Tube rectifier, EL84 "Class A," but a gainier preamp with the presence/punch control, plus a bright switch? Count me in!

The OR15 is actually another one of those copies similar the Dark/Thunder thing. The OR15, Dark Terror, Thunder, and Rockerverb dirty channels are all nearly the same. They all use 4 gain stages, they all have the same cap/coupling values, they all use dual-gang gain pots. The main differences are the EQ sections - the OR15 EQ has different values than the RV50 EQ, obviously the Thunder and Dark Terror use the shape control instead of a 3-band but the core topology is the same across all of them.

By extension, I don't have a Dual Dark schematic but I highly suspect it's the same basic design. I suppose I could trace mine out to know for sure.

The marketing copy for this reissue actually says that they tweaked channel A to be a bit more like an OR100, funny enough.
I don't have a schematic for this one either, but from what I've seen it's another of those very similar 4-stage dirty channel designs. For a short time, the OR100 and Rockerverb sold side by side, and the general consensus was that the gain "amount" was the same but the voicing was different, so knowing what I know about the others, I'd bet the OR100 dirty channel is another of that same basic type of design, with some kind of footswitchable boost (bypass cap or something? who knows, but maybe it's engaged all the time on the Dual Dark?).

---

TLDR: There's basically one core design for all modern 4-gain stage Oranges that is copy-pasted into a bunch of different amp models with minor differences, if any. Obviously the power amps can be different too.

Thin PCBs, small transformers, split shaft knobs etc

the literal same things that are always mentioned when someone says it's not worth that much money
I disagree on this. PCB are plenty "thick," the transformers are high quality Demeter windings and have been huge for a long time. Orange is one of the few "non boutique" makers that still uses nice big transformers like this, UK made and all. My oldest Orange, 2007 Rocker has these giant transformers, my 2019 RV503 still has the same quality large transformers. That's commendable in my eyes, while other makers like Marshall moved to Malta in 2003-2004 and now to Vietnam in 2023, constantly cutting both size, quality, and cost. Maybe if we're comparing 70s Oranges to modern ones, sure, but that's not really relevant.

Split shaft knobs - does that really matter? Shoot, my Bogner Uber has plastic shaft pots lol and that's an amp that retailed for nearly double what this new Orange will cost.

But, the value prospect is always an individual preference. I don't *always* love the tone, I'm not a super Orange fanboy or anything, but I've never felt that any of the "big" Orange amps (i.e. not the lunchbox or MIC ones) were made cheaply.

Am I going to drop $2k on this new DD? No, because I already have one. Look at other amps near this $2k price mark though:
Peavey Invective, EVH 5150 100w, couple of ENGLs, Marshall 2203/2555/2245/etc, Friedman Runt.... there are 20 heads more expensive than this DD100 that are built worse, and very few (if any) built better. I can't find a Matamp for sale in the US under $2k, and brand new they are $2200 USD plus shipping. If anything, this new DD100 is a huge deal, they undercut the price of their own Rockerverb by 300 bucks and the prices of used DD's was up in the 2500+ range for a long time. They easily could've asked $2599 and still sold out the limited run I bet.

Kinda surprised to hear people pushing Matamp for reliability. My GT1 was always fine, but I've always heard they are a real pain in the ass to keep alive. But I'd rather work turrets for sure.

Got to spend a few minutes with new Dual Dark tonight. Not going to change anyone's mind about Orange or the dual dark, though I do think they've mellowed it out a tad on channel A. On my old DD50 I rarely took the gain knob above 1 'o clock as it was basically saturated and on this one I happily cranked it. But generally it's the same amp as before (and to @TotallyRadGuitars points above, really just a spin on the larger orange sound). At some point I'll the chassis and we can compare with the gut shots above to see if we can spot the changes.

The white looks better in this video than it does in the stock photos in my opinion. Actually kind of like how it looks in the video.

Really surprised so many hate this one as it seems to be no more difficult to dial in as say a rectifier. Boosted tones sound great to me - actually want to play one to see what’s up.

Scalpers didn't waste much time: https://reverb.com/item/83573559-or...2-channel-100-watt-guitar-amp-head-2024-white
1721115550353.png

That white tolex really looks terrible. I keep trying to like it.... But.... Nah. Pass.
Yeah I’m not liking it either. It’s their highest gain model they made and that’s the dumbest reason to re-release it. Just like Engl re released the SE with a useless shitty sounding channel on the back of it to pay homage to how far they’d come.

If I got my hands on one I’d modify it to have a presence control on the back as well as a variable negative feedback. Board looks super easy to work on.

I’d also footswitch control the attenuator circuit to act as a solo boost. I’d probably also copy the tonestack used on channel A and do the same on channel B.

I’d also give it dual bias like I have on my enmity mod.

I really feel I could take on of these and turn it into one of the most badass amps out there.

Last edited:
That white tolex really looks terrible. I keep trying to like it.... But.... Nah. Pass.
Orange amps in general are kind of an eyesore, TBH. As soon as I see an Orange amp, I can't help but think of high cholesterol and poor hygiene.

That being said... boosts definitely transform some of them. They can be made to sound cool for stuff other than Doom/Stoner/Sludge/that stuff.

Last edited:
Back