NAD Uber Ultra KT88

• Thread starter Thread starter gybe!
  • Start date Start date
Was gonna scratch my Uberschall itch with a twin jet since there is one available for $2K. But I know exactly who I am....I need to just keep saving.
They are not alike at all, but I greatly preferred my Rev 1 uberschall to the Uber ultra for what it’s worth- and they can be found at near ultra prices

Like @RedB4Black said, the tonal difference is so discernible that the 3 versions has never made sense to me.
How would you compare the Hellion to the Ultra? That and a Larry (and not trying to turn this into the typical circus that may inspire) are about all that is left on my list at this stage. Maybe a Steavens as I still remember reading the original harmony central amp reviews of the poundcake when I bought my first Rivera knucklehead in like 1996

I will likely convert my ultra to el34s or 6550s when the time comes as I also have a much greater stock there. Granted, I have more flexibility in some of my Hermanssons so may play around a bit more with the big bottles. My Herm PA is currently loaded with 6 el34s:oops:

Is this Steve? Dude coming from you that is bold statement. I have been thinking of getting an Uber lately. Have not had one since the infamous "Bogner Built to Last Video". lol. Thanks for lighting a match next to the GAS can bro!
Yep. Love this amp. Way different than previous versions and way more useful to me. Had them all including the very early 6550 version.

How would you compare the Hellion to the Ultra? That and a Larry (and not trying to turn this into the typical circus that may inspire) are about all that is left on my list at this stage. Maybe a Steavens as I still remember reading the original harmony central amp reviews of the poundcake when I bought my first Rivera knucklehead in like 1996

I will likely convert my ultra to el34s or 6550s when the time comes as I also have a much greater stock there. Granted, I have more flexibility in some of my Hermanssons so may play around a bit more with the big bottles. My Herm PA is currently loaded with 6 el34s:oops:

I think the Uber is much more modern in the voicing and the Hellion retains more of that hot-rodded Marshall vibe. The Uber has a lot more low end. Both have a ton of gain. I can get a killer plexi-type tone with the Hellion. I actually like playing it in the vintage or classic mode and boosting it, sounds very raw and aggressive. I've played a Hermannson PA and Larry side by side and both are killer, but I'd take the Larry. But for the $, it's tough to beat an Uberschall for metal.

Just snagged a KT88 one today too! I'm in love. How good does that tolex look in person? Insane right.

I ordered UU kt version in January. Then I cancled the order and bought Gibson 68 custom. But, still very tempting amp for sure. Congrats on the new amp!!

I think the Uber is much more modern in the voicing and the Hellion retains more of that hot-rodded Marshall vibe. The Uber has a lot more low end. Both have a ton of gain. I can get a killer plexi-type tone with the Hellion. I actually like playing it in the vintage or classic mode and boosting it, sounds very raw and aggressive. I've played a Hermannson PA and Larry side by side and both are killer, but I'd take the Larry. But for the $, it's tough to beat an Uberschall for metal.
I should’ve bought your Jube you had for sale a little while back 🤣 How would you compare it to the Hellion?

Ditto on rhe Hellion. Havent played and Uber Ultra yet but i love my Hellion. Its more versatile than expected and you gottta dial it in with your ears vs your eyes. I played my first gig with it two weeks ago and i was more than pleased with it. Helluva amp. Can be bright and cutting AF and also darken and compress at the same time.

I leave the gains at noon, and switch between Vintage, Classic, and modern; and boost those as needed.

Just. Badass.

I should’ve bought your Jube you had for sale a little while back 🤣 How would you compare it to the Hellion?

The Jubilee is a killer amp, especially for what they cost. The Hellion can do everything the Jubilee could do plus a lot more and just sounds better overall. I would’ve kept the Jubilee but it was more redundant. Actually liked my Helios more than it as well and I sold that too. Between my Hellion and MC2 I’m pretty well cover in those tones….though I would still like to try a Friedman Plex. Lol. I think upgrading the transformers in the Jubilee might do wonders for it, but probably not worth thecistto do.

Got something more metal oriented coming in on Thursday though, which is more my style!

Back