Good but inexpensive baritone?

gybe!

I have previously had a prs se mushok baritone that I never really got on with, always felt dead and plastic like. Have been looking at some of the squire offerings as I’ve had decent luck there (after a lot of setup work), but thought I would seek out opinions of the hive mind here

Here is my current baritone fever dream inspiration:

Definitely try out. Guitars are crazy now. I guess because of cnc machines. You can buy a cheap guitar with good solid bones and set it up and replace the electronics and have a decent starter or beater. Check out my thread in the tech section on my son’s buddies cheap ass Jackson. Once I figured out the problem..fixed it and set it up…plus polishing the frets. Plugged it into my rig and it sounds and plays great. So many choices but then again you’re taking a chance every time you order something. Sorry for rambling and not really helping…lol

Best values are the higher end LTD baritones used. I have owned several. All have sounded and played extremely well.

Yamaha RGX420SD6 "Drop 6". I once bought one to flip it, and it was very well made and sounded good! If I had needed a baritone, I would have kept it.

Good demo here. Gainy tones first, then clean.

Reverend Descents are pretty nice straight out of the box. The railhammer pickups work well for the low tuning.

I've had the Mushok baritone too, and I haven't had a Squier baritone, but I've had two Classic Vibes (an Esquire and a Tele), and even if the Squier stuff is solid bang for the buck, it certainly wasn't better.

That Mushok baritone wasn't the best guitar I've ever played, but it was one of the only "good" PRS SE's that I really owned. I haven't had good luck with PRS SE in general, but that one didn't have any flaws, and it played and sounded nice.

Maybe look into the used Mushok Ibanezes. Those had a satin finish which ought to be less plastic-y feeling.

Back