best Gibson Les Paul for thrash and modern metal that shreds

sacguy71

Looking at getting a Gibson Les Paul that can play both modern metal and thrash metal. What Gibson USA Les Paul models would be best? Looking at Adam Jones Les Paul Standard, Kirk Hammett Les Paul Greeney ( the least expensive model) and others but hard to pick.

They’re all about the same to be honest. Just toss whatever pickups you want in it and get the neck profile you want.

The ones I use that are “most different” are the axcess models. It allows higher fret access and is a bit thinner.
Ah yeah the Axxess model with a Floyd Rose right? Would be great as whammy bar dive bar are used a lot in metal. I am open to a custom Les Paul as well. That and a 1970 reissue Flying V.

The one that's most comfortable for you to play - which, with Les Pauls, generally means very very comfortable indeed

I know people who can afford anything they want who've sold R9s in favor of goodwood era les paul studios, and guys who are unemployed who play a norlin era modded deluxes - the actual model of the les paul is almost completely irrelevant unless you want to keep it completely stock. And in that case, you would be better off with an ESP or something that, stock, has pickups closer to the genres you want to play.

The real question is what pickups are you going to put in the Les Paul you are most comfortable playing? Because they're all the same except for the neck varying from 50s to 60s and the axcess as chris mentioned

Because even if it was the greeny or adam jones, you'd probably have better results for thrash with aftermarket pickups honestly.

I would start trying out les pauls at the closest guitar center paying attention to specs - as in neck carve style, etc

Then after you have a better idea of what you jive with best, THEN start doing research on the models that have those specs

The one that's most comfortable for you to play - which, with Les Pauls, generally means very very comfortable indeed

I know people who can afford anything they want who've sold R9s in favor of goodwood era les paul studios, and guys who are unemployed who play a norlin era modded deluxes - the actual model of the les paul is almost completely irrelevant unless you want to keep it completely stock. And in that case, you would be better off with an ESP or something that, stock, has pickups closer to the genres you want to play.

The real question is what pickups are you going to put in the Les Paul you are most comfortable playing? Because they're all the same except for the neck varying from 50s to 60s and the axcess as chris mentioned

Because even if it was the greeny or adam jones, you'd probably have better results for thrash with aftermarket pickups honestly.

I would start trying out les pauls at the closest guitar center paying attention to specs - as in neck carve style, etc

Then after you have a better idea of what you jive with best, THEN start doing research on the models that have those specs
Well I played the new Slash signature LP guitar recently and really enjoyed the neck and feel to play rhythm and lead rock guitar. If I found a Les Paul that had hotter pickups and similar neck that would do metal.

Well I played the new Slash signature LP guitar recently and really enjoyed the neck and feel to play rhythm and lead rock guitar. If I found a Les Paul that had hotter pickups and similar neck that would do metal.

Maybe look at the specs on the slash and see what else is out there?

Or if you completely love the aesthetics on it, maybe just grab a slash and put hotter pickups in it

That's the best place to start, i think

Ah yeah the Axxess model with a Floyd Rose right? Would be great as whammy bar dive bar are used a lot in metal. I am open to a custom Les Paul as well. That and a 1970 reissue Flying V.
Right, they also have some models with a stop tail. Again, whichever you're most comfortable with. Probably the most common thrash bridge pickup of all time (maybe most common pickup ever actually?) is a duncan jb. You can play thrash on anything tight. If you want to play modern on it, it can be done, but you may be better off with a pickup with a more modern voicing. The JB is pronounced in the mid range and a lot of more modern metal just doesn't have the same voicing as a JB. A more modern ceramic pickup is probably more in that camp. that being said you can always use a duncan distortion (or a black winter) and probably cop the older sounds and the newer stuff (duncan distortion is a ceramic version of the jb and the black winter I believe is a modernized duncan distortion).

Just find one you like, audition pickups, and play. If you're playing thrash your right hand will make the biggest difference of all.

Off the shelf Gibson offerings are usually pretty good. Sent a Slash axe back twice because of shit fretwork.
But found a Slash Goldtop that plays great. Threw in some Duncan Slash II pickups. Not a ton of gain but I like the tone
and let the amp do the work.

Have a 50's and 60's reissues too.
Weights are all over the place. The 50's reissue is under 9lbs but the 60's has a fat ass to her.

Wildwood spec Lesters are killer and they have a Plethora to choose from if you're looking for brand new that is.

Find one that feels good, stays in tune, and then swap your pickups of choice into it. The model doesn't matter all that much if it feels right.

For metal and shred tones in a Les Paul shaped guitar, I advise finding a single cut ESP, Jackson or similar brand that is a neck through. Set necks or glue in necks like in Gibsons have much more bloom to the attack and are generally more open/complex sounding. Neck throughs are less dynamic but tighter and punchier, which facilitates high gain rhythm chugging and articulation for shredding.

I need to visit a high end guitar store and try out the various Gibson LP models to determine best fit. So far the artist signature LP standard guitars seem like right path and way less than a custom shop. That would let me get a couple other guitars like a 1970 reissue Flying V and nice Telecaster.

For metal and shred tones in a Les Paul shaped guitar, I advise finding a single cut ESP, Jackson or similar brand that is a neck through. Set necks or glue in necks like in Gibsons have much more bloom to the attack and are generally more open/complex sounding. Neck throughs are less dynamic but tighter and punchier, which facilitates high gain rhythm chugging and articulation for shredding.
I think some of that openness and complexity also comes from nitro vs poly finish used on those ESP’s, Jackson’s and similar. I find the 24.75” vs 25.5” scale length on those other guitars also rounds out the attack a bit on Gibson’s

In general, Gibson’s aren’t my pick for metal or shred for those reasons. I think guys just like the way they look and see that some famous guys they like used them. I usually prefer a 25.5” scale bolt-on guitar ideally with shellac finish (better sound than nitro IME) and a few other specs

Back