Marshall JMP-1 clip

RedPlated

I was going to sell my JMP-1. I had only ever played it using my PS-100 as a power amp. Not sure why I didn’t just use a regular amp.

I hadn’t used the JMP-1 for quite a while and plugged it into the power section of a SLP MOAB last night. Sounds better than I remembered. Maybe this amp just pairs better with it. A lot of flexibility in this box. From high gain to blues to cleans. This one is bone stock, no mods.

iPad recording at low volume

The JMP-1 was the brainchild of the peak of the 80’s but sadly it was released during the rise of grunge and didn’t get its fair share of the spotlight it deserves.

I’ve always loved a bone stock JMP-1. Preamps are way more sensitive to mods than amps and often get tuned into one trick ponies. They also need a killer poweramp section to sound their best.

I was going to sell my JMP-1. I had only ever played it using my PS-100 as a power amp. Not sure why I didn’t just use a regular amp.

I hadn’t used the JMP-1 for quite a while and plugged it into the power section of a SLP MOAB last night. Sounds better than I remembered. Maybe this amp just pairs better with it. A lot of flexibility in this box. From high gain to blues to cleans. This one is bone stock, no mods.

iPad recording at low volume

The JMP-1 has been my main amp sound at practice for many years.

It has mainly been paired up with the Marshall EL-34 50/50 (I had found the 50/50 was "slightly" better than the 100/100 (I have owned over 8 of these power amps throughout the years (even the 9100/9200's))).

I have owned "7" JMP-1's over the years (still own 3 of them), and they all sound a little different from each other, so I think of them as just being slightly different Marshall amps.

Also, I have experimented with different preamp tubes and I had found swapping them out here and there can relieve a person from tonal boredom (something that many of us get after playing a number of years (and even weeks for some of us)).

The 50/50 and 100/00 (and the 9100/9200) are meant to be paired with the JMP-1 but I have tried other amps and power amps.

All of the Fryette power amps have been fun as well as the various Mesa Boogie ones.

I have used the returns from many amps over the years and I had found the Mark IV is especially cool to use the JMP-1 through the return.

The Mark IV has various tonal options that can be accessed and you can hear some really cool tonal changes by switching between each channel.

Additionally, I had found the 5-band EQ could be activated as well as the various power amp options on the back of the amp.

Unfortunately, the price of the JMP-1's have been inflated/gouged since the pandemic hit (I could easily find them for $250 to $400 before the price inflation), otherwise, I would buy a few more for back-ups, possible parts, and tonal experimentations/variations/comparisons.

I was able to find one locally last year in excellent condition for $450 (it did not sound very good when I had first turned it on).

It sounded like ........ but I did a quick factory reset and replaced the original Marshall preamp tubes with something different and it sounds killer now.

@RedPlated How about making a preamp for us based upon the Ground Zero amps that can have the various presets and tonal options saved and used like the JMP-1 with midi controllable features?

I am pretty sure that I would buy two of them :cool:

They’ve always had a cold and sterile sound for me. I wouldn’t say no to have one for brootz fun if they were priced like they used to be, but certainly not paying what people are asking now for what is basically a solid state preamp. Even though Mesa heads sound better, would still like a Triaxis for fun as well, but they’re no longer $7-800 and who knows if someone is being truthful or correct about whether it’s phat mod or not.

Jmp-1's are killer when paired with a good tube poweramp. I prefer my stock jmp1 over my platinum voodoo modded one: more marshall rawness.
You can verify the triaxis ver.2 tx4 board and phat mod by serial # most of time.Or simply open it up and look inside.With two set the same,you can definitely audibly tell the difference if ver 2 has the phat mod or not.

Jmp-1's are killer when paired with a good tube poweramp. I prefer my stock jmp1 over my platinum voodoo modded one: more marshall rawness.
You can verify the triaxis ver.2 tx4 board and phat mod by serial # most of time.Or simply open it up and look inside.With two set the same,you can definitely audibly tell the difference if ver 2 has the phat mod or not.
Yeah Trace had a way of sucking the balls out of every amp. Everyone i know that had their 5150 modded by him later sold it cause it sounded like shit.

Back