Marshall 1936V vs Mesa Rectifier Horizontal 2x12

Rex Rocker

Any thoughts on how these two compare side by side?

Both come with 16 ohm UK V30's.

I like the fact that the Marshall has an angled baffle, but I'm sure the Mesa is built better. I know at some point those 1936's were MDF, but I'm pretty sure they've made them out of plywood for a while.

Who has compared both? What are some other alternatives in the price range that come 16 ohm V30's?

The Marshall Vintage speaker is a very different animal from the Mesa OEM V30. Marshall=much brighter, Mesa=darker. Pretty huge difference to my ear. For me it would depend on what amp you are using.

The Marshall Vintage speaker is a very different animal from the Mesa OEM V30. Marshall=much brighter, Mesa=darker. Pretty huge difference to my ear. For me it would depend on what amp you are using.
Helix and Duncan Powerstage. So I can tweak my sound to both.

I was aware the Marshall Vintage was brighter. I didn't realize it was much brighter, though. I almost always hear the 16 ohm versions of the Marshall compared to the 8 ohm version of the Mesa. I would love to hear how 16 ohm compare to 16 ohm.

Last edited:
1936 all day IMO—those Mesa 2x12s are too boomy for my taste
The thing that I don't like (on paper) about the Mesa is the baffle is parallel to the back of the cab. I don't love that. But I haven't really spent much time with one IRL. I would like to hear how it mics up, as sometimes things sound fine in the room, but fall apart under a mic.

Mesa is better suited for heavy styles, deeper bass, slight scoop in mids. Marshall works better for clean and lighter crunch, tan pants music :)

Mesa is better suited for heavy styles, deeper bass, slight scoop in mids. Marshall works better for clean and lighter crunch, tan pants music :)
Funny, most of the clips seem to come off the other way around. The Marshall is brighter without the stuffy mids lower midrange or vocal core midrange of the Mesa.

I'd like a 2x12 with both to have the option of mic'ing either when the mood strikes... but I've also got a Celestion Gold, so I gotta choose between either V30 to match with the Gold.

IMHO one of the best (V30) cabs is the Engl 412 XXL. Massive sounding, but not boomy. Downside, heavy as hell.
Yeah, I love the sound of a 4x12. I've got a Marshall 1960A with Greenbacks. I kinda want something more portable, but that doesn't sound like a shoebox under the mic the way a 1x12 does, LOL.

I've had both. They do sound different, but that Mesa cab is hard to hear and will sound different depending on how close you stand to it. The Marshall is angled up more so you can hear it better and more evenly around the room imho.

I also prefer the Marshall sound. Not as stiff.

Back