Neck humbucker (SC size) recommendations for Kramer SM-1

Cool rails are hands down my fav neck singlebucker. So I’m no help
How would you describe them @itsme?
Since my SM-1 came with Hot Rails bridge pickups in neck and middle, I still have no experience with the Cool Rails, but judging by the Duncan EQ graph and description, I would probably deem them too warm, not single-coily jangly enough.

I didn’t get a chance to read all, but my favorite sc sized neck humbucker are easily the ‘80’s Bill Lawrence ones and they’re usually pretty cheap too. The ‘80’s Schaller are great too and even cheaper, dirt cheap for what they are

How would you describe them @itsme?
Since my SM-1 came with Hot Rails bridge pickups in neck and middle, I still have no experience with the Cool Rails, but judging by the Duncan EQ graph and description, I would probably deem them too warm, not single-coily jangly enough.
They sound like a Jazz neck humbucker. Very sweet. Not single coily at all. If you’re looking for that, you probably want a stacked single coil.

They sound like a Jazz neck humbucker. Very sweet. Not single coily at all. If you’re looking for that, you probably want a stacked single coil.
Oof, then it's not for me. I used a Jazz for awhile in a Les Paul Custom and then into a Cort Viva Gold II (sort of Ibanez S-series clone, HSH, slim body superstrat with a Floyd). I found it lacked a lot of character, a bit sterile.

@Fiesta Red thanks for the offer man, but I'm based in Europe, so shipping+taxes would most likely make it less interesting than what I have locally available.

I have an Injector bridge in the neck paired with a Super D in the bridge and it matches up well and sounds great with 500k pot like the Super Distortion.

@Crunchtime interesting; output wise should be not far off from the Fast Track 1, but EQ maybe... although DiMarzio does describe it as 'clear and fast', the EQ graphs look pretty balanced for the bridge version. Injector Neck seems more in-line with Fast Track 1; lean bass, more focus on treble.

I tried several sc sized humbuckers in various builds and ended up preferring the lil’ 59 neck hands down over the others. Just enough extra oomph for nice shreddy lead work - but still brings the single coil ‘ish’ sparkle on clean settings. Really nice neck pickup.

I tried several sc sized humbuckers in various builds and ended up preferring the lil’ 59 neck hands down over the others. Just enough extra oomph for nice shreddy lead work - but still brings the single coil ‘ish’ sparkle on clean settings. Really nice neck pickup.
I didn't try mine in the neck, but I found it already on the warmer side than what the Chopper gives me. That's why I sold it and replaced it with a Fast Track 1.

Reactions: PDC
Back